PodGo users? (or HXFX, Helix users?)

Yes it it, basically a smaller package Helix.

I use a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro to control my HX and my Diezel VHX at the same time.
I have the Mission Line 6 Expression pedal on my pedalboard next to my GCP.
I run a TRS cable from the expression pedal to the HX.
I have the HX on top of my amp.
I run a midi cable from the GCP Midi Out to the HX Midi In, then HX Midi Out/Thru to my VHX. Works seamlessly and keeps setup simple.

If you were just running the HX and the expression, it would be an easy setup.
I had a chance to set up my FOH patches in my HX today straight to the PA,
and it sounds amazing to my ears.
Sounds great! Kinda makes me wish I'd gone for the DSL40CR, which has MIDI. My DSL20CR does not.
However, I'm almost 70 and that 25lb weight difference between lugging around my DSL20CR (30lbs with a
NEO) and a DSL40CR (55lbs) made me ultimately select the lighter option. But, I'll probably look for a simpler
and more affordable midi controller, if one is available. It's good to know that preset switching is an option
with a (compatible) MIDI controller. Most of the time I plan use the HX in the loop, setting on top of my amp.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Sounds great! Kinda makes me wish I'd gone for the DSL40CR, which has MIDI. My DSL20CR does not.
However, I'm almost 70 and that 25lb weight difference between lugging around my DSL20CR (30lbs with a
NEO) and a DSL40CR (55lbs) made me ultimately select the lighter option. But, I'll probably look for a simpler
and more affordable midi controller, if one is available. It's good to know that preset switching is an option
with a (compatible) MIDI controller. Most of the time I plan use the HX in the loop, setting on top of my amp.
Thanks for your help!

Glad to help.
I feel your position. I just downsized my whole rig for my 50+ yr old back, and I'm thinking ahead as well.
I knew I couldn't carry all this gear to shows forever, and now I feel that reality physically.

If your DSL takes a TRS footswitch, you can set up the HX to control the amp channel switching as well with a TRS cable.
It would use the EXP Out so you could get a small 2 button switch that connects through the expression pedal.
Then you don't need midi

Glad to help.
I feel your position. I just downsized my whole rig for my 50+ yr old back, and I'm thinking ahead as well.
I knew I couldn't carry all this gear to shows forever, and now I feel that reality physically.

If your DSL takes a TRS footswitch, you can set up the HX to control the amp channel switching as well with a TRS cable.
It would use the EXP Out so you could get a small 2 button switch that connects through the expression pedal.
Then you don't need midi
Thanks again for mentioning that option, I would definitely like to avoid MIDI if possible.

In the late 1970's my custom built Mitchell Pro-100 (Mesa Clone) weighed 96lbs (with an EVM-12L speaker) when
setting in its Anvil Flight Case. It normally sat under our tour bus, so I didn't have to drag it around without help.
Even if I did, I was in my 20's and I didn't know any better... But, almost 50 years later 35lbs is my hard limit! :)

Our Tour Bus 1980.jpg1979-Setup2.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to help.

Then you don't need midi
I sincerely appreciate your VERY helpful input!!!
Sorry to be an old guy but, by DSL (above) do you mean the HX HELIX?
The Modeler? Or a special type of expression pedal? Or something else?
Again, sorry to ask a probably stupid question. :cool:

I sincerely appreciate your VERY helpful input!!!
Sorry to be an old guy but, by DSL (above) do you mean the HX HELIX?
The Modeler? Or a special type of expression pedal? Or something else?
Again, sorry to ask a probably stupid question. :cool:

No problema at all. I'm happy to clarify.
I was referring to your amp the Marshall DSL20CR.
On the back of your DSL20CR, there is a FS input (footswitch)

You can run a TRS Cable (stereo 1/4" cable) from the HX EXP Out to the FS Input on the DSL20CR,
and set the HX to change the channels on your Marshall DSL20CR with a small 2-button footswitch made by Mission Engineering.

You can also have an ME Expression pedal that can link to the 2-button footswitch.

Here's a good video on using the expression pedal and footswitch with HX:

No problema at all. I'm happy to clarify.
I was referring to your amp the Marshall DSL20CR.
On the back of your DSL20CR, there is a FS input (footswitch)

You can run a TRS Cable (stereo 1/4" cable) from the HX EXP Out to the FS Input on the DSL20CR,
and set the HX to change the channels on your Marshall DSL20CR with a small 2-button footswitch made by Mission Engineering.

You can also have an ME Expression pedal that can link to the 2-button footswitch.

Here's a good video on using the expression pedal and footswitch with HX:

Well, I primarily stick with the Clean channel on my DSL20, because the Ultra channel is a tad
too bright and dirty for most of what I use. I like to run the Clean channel with the gain about noon,
which gives me a nice warm base to build other tones on. From there I can build in a nice preset with
either a boost, or a the minitaur/klon to get me to the 80's-90's style lead tone I prefer most of the time.
Also, the factory footswitch already has an effects loop button, and a channel switching button.

I just want to be able to use an HX Stomp in my effects loop, while it's setting on my amp, and use
an expression pedal alongside a footswitch to change the presets/patches on the HXStomp.
(I guess were back to MIDI)

Last edited:
Well, I primarily stick with the Clean channel on my DSL20, because the Ultra channel is a tad
too bright and dirty for most of what I use. I like to run the Clean channel with the gain about noon,
which gives me a nice warm base to build other tones on. From there I can build in a nice preset with
either a boost, or a the minitaur/klon to get me to the 80's-90's style lead tone I prefer most of the time.
Also, the factory footswitch already has an effects loop button, and a channel switching button.

I just want to be able to use an HX Stomp in my effects loop, while it's setting on my amp, and use
an expression pedal alongside a footswitch to change the presets/patches on the HXStomp.
(I guess were back to MIDI)
That's ok. It's an easy midi setup, 2 cables run from amp to pedalboard: 1 5-Pin Midi Cable, 1 TRS Cable (1/4" stereo)

It's choosing which midi controller. They have some nice small ones, if you don't want something as big as the Ground Control Pro.
Make sure you get the Mission Engineering Pedal for Line 6 (SP1-L6H) so it works with the HX.

Back