Beat It - Isolated Guitars

Love how Luke recorded that on a fender combo cuz Quincy thought it was too rock. Eddie's solo is probably comp'd. Sounds like a punch point at 2:52, Eddie loved comping solos and then picking the best flow/parts, then learning the comp afterwards. Comping wasn't nearly as simple as nowadays.

Eddie was a fucking wizard.
Wouldn't surprise me if that went straight into the board through a dirt box. That is one of those things you practice cutting maybe and he just couldn't recapture it so they rolled with it. There is some type of story there though that I saw on youtube that talked about the gear I just can't remember where I found it.

Scratch that, not direct now that I relisten. I think it was just the standard superlead as usual balls out.
it’s pretty well documented that he borrowed one of Alan Holsworth’s amp for this.

Love how Luke recorded that on a fender combo cuz Quincy thought it was too rock. Eddie's solo is probably comp'd. Sounds like a punch point at 2:52, Eddie loved comping solos and then picking the best flow/parts, then learning the comp afterwards. Comping wasn't nearly as simple as nowadays.
Definitely the best of many takes. You might even say ' some" of his wizardry and genius is in part thanks to a good producer and engineer that could see which pieces flowed best together and arranged them that way.

Eddie is notorious for not going back and fixing mistakes , he just let it rip and however it came across was good enough . He didn't even bother to fix his self admitted "Eruption" mishap where he said he got turned around at the beginning of Eruption but decided to leave it anyway .

He's said in numerous interviews that if something comes across too perfect it doesn't faze you . I was amazed after listening to old recordings like "Van Halen at the Hammersmith Odeon" 1978 because they sounded just like the 1st album . Eddie has said we go into the studio and just play like we do live because if you can't reproduce what you sound like in the studio live what's the point .

I love listening to iso tracks. Best learning tool I have ever come across. I’m always amazed how different the guitar parts actually sound compared to the way I ‘thought’ they sounded in the full mix.
Definitely! Like lukathers tones sound better with the mix than alone . You can see how it mixes with band

Reactions: PDC
Yeah, Frank Zappa was criticizing his playing by describing it as "sounding like a guy falling down the stairs".

Ed responded with the comment that ".. at least he always landed on his feet".
Steve Vai quote : "It is only the most elite of elite musicians whose unconventional approach becomes convention"

Back