Most overrated Guitarist on the Internet

Was it John Suhr and Pete Thorn that ultimately killed HRI? I feel like Marsa over there lost it on them at one point and called Thorn a Groomed Noodler. Then PT wrote a cool instrumental with that name. Ha

Weird thread... I don't hate any of 'em, but I don't watch that many to truly be able to form any opinion other than - they're out there putting their stuff online - and here's a thread on RT snickering about them out there putting their stuff online.

I think that says a lot.
(flamesuit donned 🤣)
I agree with you. I enjoy watching and really enjoy Pete Thorn, has to be one of the most down to earth likable guys. Might as well hate Santa Claus too I guess.
I think being able to watch new guitar content daily on YouTube is amazing. I mean up until 5-10 years ago when it really started growing, I’d buy concert DVD videos just to see metal/rock guitar, it was really no where else in video form. But I guess different strokes for different folks…

I honestly don’t get the complaints. I don’t go to YouTube review dudes to listen to their playing, so I don’t see how they’re “overrated”. They do a simple job of reviewing/advertising so that I don’t have to risk my own money and time. I haven’t listened to a second of any of their original music, and some of them are a bit more annoying than others. I don’t get whatever people think is arrogant about Pete Thorn. He’s posting on the boards for years and always seems decent enough, but hey sometimes some people rub others the wrong way for no discernible reason. There’s plenty of times I’ve met someone and thought “fuck this guy” but really had no logical reason, but innately knew they were not my kind of people. I take all my YT watching with a grain of salt and don’t expect anything more than what I came for, which is usually a chance to hear some product that I don’t want to waste money on. I do find some dudes videos all sound exactly the same, or they never seem to mention much criticism, or they follow certain YouTuber tropes, but I guess that’s all part of the game. Fluff and Jon Symons come to mind. They all seem like nice enough dudes, I guess. Henning Pauly seems annoying as fuck though, but he probably does some of the best demos when it comes to features, and criticisms.

Last edited:
Was it John Suhr and Pete Thorn that ultimately killed HRI? I feel like Marsa over there lost it on them at one point and called Thorn a Groomed Noodler. Then PT wrote a cool instrumental with that name. Ha
And that was the last time anyone ever heard of a "Groomed Noodler", the end. Oh wait...

Your education prevents you from differentiating between "hating" or putting someone down from accurately judging their skillz. This is not on people one the Internet posting their opinions, it's on you!
What do you know about my education or hating people ? Get serious dude . Next quote the first amendment for everyone to read .

I honestly don’t get the complaints. I don’t go to YouTube review dudes to listen to their playing, so I don’t see how they’re “overrated”. They do a simple job of reviewing/advertising so that I don’t have to risk my own money and time. I haven’t listened to a second of any of their original music, and some of them are a bit more annoying than others. I don’t get whatever people think is arrogant about Pete Thorn. He’s posting on the boards for years and always seems decent enough, but hey sometimes some people rub others the wrong way for no discernible reason. There’s plenty of times I’ve met someone and thought “fuck this guy” but really had no logical reason, but innately knew they were my kind of people. I take all my YT watching with a grain of salt and don’t expect anything more than what I came for, which is usually a chance to hear some product that I don’t want to waste money on. I do find some dudes videos all sound exactly the same, or they never seem to mention much criticism, or they follow certain YouTuber tropes, but I guess that’s all part of the game. Fluff and Jon Symons come to mind. They all seem like nice enough dudes, I guess. Henning Pauly seems annoying as fuck though, but he probably does some of the best demos when it comes to features, and criticisms.

Thank you.

Guys like Pete aren’t really “overrated“ as players because their guitar playing, no matter what you might think about it, isn’t why people watch those videos.

As for guys like Pete, people watch his videos because of his knowledge about and first hand experience with so much of the gear out there these days, and he takes the time to learn everything he showcases so he can explain it competently and completely, and in a way that’s easy to listen to. He can also dial in a killer tone and explain exactly how he did it, too.

There are skills relevant to music other than technical virtuosity or the ability to make a grown man cry by playing a single note in just the right way.

Last edited:
Well you typed a novel just to say that you don't like complex guitar players.

Seriously dude, grow up and learn to read a LOT more thoughtfully. If it hurts your brain to read anything longer than a text message then ignore messages with any complexity or depth of thought. I'm telling you for your own good because you're having a great deal of difficulty with simple communication here. I was crystal clear about what I said and you keep getting it totally wrong. Comprehension is one of the biggest problems with society today because people either expect everything spoon-fed to them in tiny bits or have no interest whatsoever in applying rudimentary thought to anything that is written.

Last edited:
Just admit that it was unnecessarily verbose post. You suck it's okay.
To someone uneducated, it may be, but that's a problem with them and not anything I've said. You've been mouthing off incoherently about irrelevant things. The word-count of my post has nothing to do with the subject matter of this thread. Reading and writing are very basic things adults do daily so grow up man. At this point, you're not even capable of discussing what I posted because you don't understand it at all.
Look, the first thing you need to do is read what words are plainly written and do not try to read or interpret anything into it. Just take it exactly as it's written in black and white. That's the most fundamental requirement for comprehension.
By the way, I'll give you some valuable advice: don't sign any contracts. If comments on a forum overwhelm and confound you then never sign any kind of contract because you might get yourself into some problems.

To someone uneducated, it may be, but that's a problem with them and not anything I've said. You've been mouthing off incoherently about irrelevant things. The word-count of my post has nothing to do with the subject matter of this thread. Reading and writing are very basic things adults do daily so grow up man. At this point, you're not even capable of discussing what I posted because you don't understand it at all.
Look, the first thing you need to do is read what words are plainly written and do not try to read or interpret anything into it. Just take it exactly as it's written in black and white. That's the most fundamental requirement for comprehension.
By the way, I'll give you some valuable advice: don't sign any contracts. If comments on a forum overwhelm and confound you then never sign any kind of contract because you might get yourself into some problems.
I'm not gonna read all that you retard.

Michael Nielsen is one I don’t get from a guitarist standpoint but he really is a producer by trade. Funny dude though.

On the opposite end, Clifton Wright is incredible and Leon Todd is solid as well.

I agree with you. I enjoy watching and really enjoy Pete Thorn, has to be one of the most down to earth likable guys. Might as well hate Santa Claus too I guess.
I think being able to watch new guitar content daily on YouTube is amazing. I mean up until 5-10 years ago when it really started growing, I’d buy concert DVD videos just to see metal/rock guitar, it was really no where else in video form. But I guess different strokes for different folks…

the hatred this place has for any music related youtubers has been fascinating me for a long while now, its very odd to me

Back