NAD - Marshall 1977 JMP 2203 + clips!

ultimatemetalguitartones

Long story short, I found a good deal on this stock, original transformers, choke and new caps 1977 Marshall JMP 2203 and I had to pull the trigger. I mean I've never played one, I don't even know if I like it or not but I hey I buy and sell gear all the time, I thought I should at least give it a go. I got the good ol' TC Electronics Booster / Line Distortion pedal too so that I can get into the 80s metal territory. I know Scott Ian used that one to boost his 2203 back in the days. The amp is supposed to be here sometime next week, so I will be posting some clips soon. I really can't wait!
327612293_6077561125653976_732340015191634349_n.jpg

Last edited:
great amp, I have a 77 too. The settings in the photo are a pretty great place to start. I actually run the bass a little higher though. The MV is kind of like a tone knob. Use the preamp to adjust how much bright cap you want in the sound (and a pedal to boost if needed).

I’d recommend grabbing a Hot Mod too just for more variety, it’s a fun novelty and worth having.

great amp, I have a 77 too. The settings in the photo are a pretty great place to start. I actually run the bass a little higher though. The MV is kind of like a tone knob. Use the preamp to adjust how much bright cap you want in the sound (and a pedal to boost if needed).

I’d recommend grabbing a Hot Mod too just for more variety, it’s a fun novelty and worth having.
Except the volume. It would probably kill you and your whole family as in the photo. Possibly even the neighbor lol

Max your presence, bass, Mids 3-6, start with treble on 0 and bring it up slow. High presence gives a Marshall its bite Imo. Preamp 7-10, master to whatever your ears can handle....
Not sure what speakers you have, but V30s aren't the best with a 2203 Imo...in that case drop your mids down to 0-1. Greenbacks though will kill, as will 65s, 75s.....these are killer amps and that one looks to be museum condition.
Congrats!!

Oh, and don't even think about removing the bright cap if anyone recommends it. It neuters the amp. I still don't understand why anyone does that. Ugh.

Thx man! Any advice on the settings ?
The sweep of the knobs vary a little bit on all of them from amp to amp, but for most I’d say have the presence somewhere between 3-4 o clock (very high, but not all the way up) and then set everything else to taste and find a nice boost pedal to work with it. For me it’s my Klon, but I got it when it wasn’t so stupidly priced (just “pretty stupidly” prices lol)

Except the volume. It would probably kill you and your whole family as in the photo. Possibly even the neighbor lol
Ha yeah. I don’t personally like the master above 5. Sweet spot is between 1.5 and 5 for me, depending on how thicc I want the tone. Lower master is more modern and bitey sounding. higher is thicker and more old school

Just scored a 77 2203 myself a few weeks ago. Got it back from the tech after a new quad of JJ EL34’s and a cap job. I’d check out the Suhr koko reloaded. Clean and mid boost that doesn’t alter the core tone of the amp. Have fun with it!
Enjoy your new beast man! Yeah or even a VFE Standout would come in handy

Back