Buying Time: Amp Suggestions

MistaGuitah

Savings are almost collected and buying time is around the corner so let me know if you have a thoughtful, considerate suggestion. Basically, here's a list of amps on my radar so it should give you a good idea of what I'm looking for.
My Bogner XTC 3534 has all my Bogner needs covered, and my Mesa Fillmore has all my Fender needs covered. I also use a Fractal FM3 for a variety of cover songs and stuff. I want an amp that sounds awesome, has some complexity and harmonic dimension but more versatile than a single channel amp. The Friedman Small Box is about as basic as I'd go.
As for what I play, it's mostly shreddy kind of improvising and cover songs. I'm starting to take theory and original composition a lot more seriously so I need an amp that's inspiring. For soloing, it's got to be punchy, cut through in a band setting, and have a really pleasing sound for hours and hours of practice. Og course, it has ti be extremely reliable and high quality. Anyway, here's the list:

Soldano SLO 30
Friedman Small Box
Friedman Twin Sister
Engl Invader 100
Engl Artist 50
Marshall JVM
Mezzabarba Skill 30
Mesa Mark V
Diezel D-Moll
Diezel VH2
Orange Rockerverb 50 MK III
Metropoulos Metroplex
Hughes & Kettner Triamp MK II or MK III

What about the Mesa JP2C? Those amps have a pretty amazing lead tone to them. Very versatile too.

What about the Mesa JP2C? Those amps have a pretty amazing lead tone to them. Very versatile too.
Man, that's such a good amp. I went back and forth between it and the Mark V a long time and I'm STILL not sure about it. I'm more inclined towards the Mark V just because I have more tonal options and use the Mark IV mode more than the IIC+. Not sure man. What do you like about the JP2c that might change my mind?

I thought I heard Friedmans didn’t take OD pedals well. Maybe it was just one of his models.

I know it wasn't on your list, but how about Synergy modular with a good tube power amp? I've already got British tones and modern high gain covered with the tube heads I already have. The synergy rig puts me in a lot of other neighborhoods.

If you're considering SLO, Friedmans and Mezzabarba I would absolutely add Naylor SD60 and Landry LS50G3 to the list. Good luck and hope you find what you're after.
I have very limited experience with Naylor. I think their 60 watt head several years ago is all I've been able to try. Landry slipped my mind. Definitely a good consideration. Thanks.
I know it wasn't on your list, but how about Synergy modular with a good tube power amp? I've already got British tones and modern high gain covered with the tube heads I already have. The synergy rig puts me in a lot of other neighborhoods.
I started out with that idea but there are some reliability/quality issues with their tube heads so I kind of shed away from it. I may still consoder the rack & power amp setup though.
Might be an unpopular choice but the JVM covers a lot of ground and sounds great at any volume level.
That's on my list because I can't deny it has always been one of my all-time favorites. It would definitely have yo be the 410 though as the 205|210 is missing a couple of modes I really like.

Seems like a pretty diverse list to me. Tonally, it is all over the board covering a wide range of sounds.

So what kind of music do you play mostly? Genre?

And to be thoughtful and considerate - I will throw the Splawn Quick Rod into the mix :D

That was my thought as well. You could easily cover Fender, Marshall, Engl and Soldano tones with it

I haven’t spent a lot of time with it yet, but I am very surprised by an Engl ironball that I just got. I knew Engls had that tight dry chug to them, but the clean and low gain sounds I’m getting are wonderful. I’m not going to sell my Marshall type amps, but they will certainly be getting less play time

Between your Bogner, Mesa, and Fractal, you’ve got versatility covered. I’d look at a one trick pony type of boutique amp that does that one trick better than anything. There’s a Monomyth Modded Marshall on the ‘Verb right now… I’d also look at a Gower or a Bray. Something totally different than what you have that draws out a whole different vibe in your thinking and playing when you plug into it.

Engl Artist 100. Just got one recently and it's great IMO.

Engl-E651-ArtistEdition-100.JPG

You sound similar to me and are kind of all over the place with the wish list. I actually looked pretty hard at al those amps and ultimately took them off my list. I either got something that's equivalent or another amp took it's place on the list.

Of your list I's probably go with the ENGL Artist because I'm a little partial to ENGL's.

A couple of other amps for you consideration that would probably fit the bill:
  • Get on the list for the next run for a Headfirst Alta 100 - It's a fucking awesome amp, I love mine. Packed with Marshally tone goodness
  • EVO Amps TM50 - Made by Rob DeAntionio of Jaded Faith mods. It's a 50 watt 6L6 tone monster.
  • ENGL Steve Morse - To me it's a better version on an Invader. Ch3 gives so much control over shaping mids.
  • ENGL Inferno - Though it's more straight forward with controls, I consider it ENGL's best sounding amp
  • Peters with Fire Hammer or Plasma Blade channel - I have a Vega. It's less gain than the current models but can get into trash metal territory and sounds damn good.
The next couple I don't own, but have stayed on my list. You may like them too.
  • Science Decolonizer
  • Morris Sirrom
  • Fuck it, get a Wizard
If you're still thinking about Synergy stuff, maybe look into the older Randall RM100 heads. 100 watts and 3 module slots. Try to find one that already has the dual channel upgrade and Foglifter mod. If you're lucky and find one with the MM Transformer/Choke upgrade grab it right then and there. They sound darn good with stock transformers, but the MM ones take it to the next level. Or find a stock one on the cheap and send it to Rob for the full works.
I got lucky and found one with all upgrades except for the cathode bias switch. It can compete with my other amps pretty easily, especially with the Jaded Faith modded modules I have.

Man, that's such a good amp. I went back and forth between it and the Mark V a long time and I'm STILL not sure about it. I'm more inclined towards the Mark V just because I have more tonal options and use the Mark IV mode more than the IIC+. Not sure man. What do you like about the JP2c that might change my mind?
Having two lead channels with two graphic EQ's is what it has going for it, plus that shred feature. Perfect for dialing in a rhythm and lead tone seperately, plus I think it has superior tone than the V as far as high gain is concerned.

Whatever you get, I can guarantee that you will constantly look at the other choices you listed and more for the rest of your guitar career, always wondering if you need those as well. I have everything I need BUT YET I constantly look for more tone.
Can’t go wrong with the Friedman small box.

Back