Most overrated Guitarist on the Internet

Rhett to me is the number one most overrated guitarist on YouTube. He speaks as if he is the king of all matters guitar and the final and decisive word on hot guitar topics.

Rabea and Rhett both got super lucky, right place, right time level lucky. Rabea had Chapman who started hyping him and Rhett was Rick Beatos intern or errand boy and was on many videos and still is so he was able to get followers via Beato.

Like Braintheory mentioned, charisma/humor/ pranks / clickbait and followers trump all. Rabea has a long list of epic endorsements. Rhett has tons of followers, endorsements, PATREON, his special guitar system, and more.

All 10000% true.

They got launched into the stratosphere because of luck, right place right time, not skill

Youtube is show business . It's amazing how people don't see it that way . It's the sum total of everything and It took me awhile to figure out patreon and the paid hawking of gear from these people . I'm nobody's fanboy but I don't no how you can knock these guys that have figured out how to tour with people , make money , get endorsements , play guitar fairly well and then claim they are overrated while most of us are non vituoso basement wankers !! You've got to be kidding .

Henry Kaiser. Not as much overrated as I cant understand how ANYBODY can actually like him. He had Dumbles and a zillion pedals, rack stuff etc and nothing but noise. Not Gilmour during Echoes noise, more like throwing the guitar down a flight of steps noise. Granted, there are many people who dont like him, but he does have a following. I honestly dont get it.

Kaiser is a special guitarist who is a powerful adept within the animal
Kingdom. Turns out all this time, he was playing in the languages of the forests, oceans, deserts and mountains, at one with all creatures, both great and small!

Watch this video, as he is on an arctic expedition. He brings a guitar deep under the treacherous and hazardous waters of the glaciers and proceeds to communicate with the creatures in the language of the oceans. To us, its always sounded like gibberish and the highest order of useless guitar wanking ever accomplished, but to the creatures of the oceans, it’s their language and it calms and comforts them. Watch as a powerful adept of the oceans displays a total mastery and speaks to loyal and trusting subjects.

Whoa…

Last edited:
I know there is a lot of hate towards Rhett skull and Rabea or whatever, but the audacity to create and keep adding content to try and connect with an audience is worth SOME merit, no? I find some videos neat or inspiring in the sense of creating music, versus their prowess of the instrument or skill. Know what I mean? Maybe I am in the wrong thread LOL I don't hate them, I don't say their playing is good enough to warrant praise either...

Kaiser is a special guitarist who is a powerful adept within the animal
Kingdom. Turns out all this time, he was playing in the languages of the forests, oceans, deserts and mountains, at one with all creatures, both great and small!

Watch this video, as he is on an arctic expedition. He brings a guitar deep under the treacherous and hazardous waters of the glaciers and proceeds to communicate with the creatures in the language of the oceans. To us, its always sounded like gibberish and the highest order of useless guitar wanking ever accomplished, but to the creatures of the oceans, it’s their language and it calms and comforts them. Watch as a powerful adept of the oceans displays a total mastery and speaks to loyal and trusting subjects.

Whoa……..what an utter madman and unrivaled maniac!! He basically talks about his own greatness for a while.

See, this is what bums me out.... I will NEVER be on such a plain to be able to comprehend that awesomeness. After watching that I had to just take a moment to completely reevaluate everything I thought I knew, cause I have been wrong.. left is right, up is down... Henry Kaiser is actually the Alpha AND Omega! That was just... Glorious..... !!!!!!!! Ohh... and humble too!

Youtube is show business . It's amazing how people don't see it that way . It's the sum total of everything and It took me awhile to figure out patreon and the paid hawking of gear from these people . I'm nobody's fanboy but I don't no how you can knock these guys that have figured out how to tour with people , make money , get endorsements , play guitar fairly well and then claim they are overrated while most of us are non vituoso basement wankers !! You've got to be kidding .
Well said!

Who are we kidding here? If any of us want to kick back and listen to some tunes, we dig through our library or Spotify or whatever, put on those tunes, and rock the fuck out. We don't login to Youtube and play some Pete Thorn videos. The Youtubers entertain, and some of them are even helpful at times with gear and whatnot. I appreciate it at face value, and never take them too seriously. Yep, I use an adblocker and all this shit is 100% free entertainment. AND (gasp) I can control which videos I click on.

Rant on if you want, but just do the world a favor and don't get so caught up in it all that you lose sleep over it. Like I said earlier, cry me a fucking river.

There's a lot of crap on Youtube let's face it, but after dipping our toes in the water I can assure you it's a lot of hard work. A LOT.

You don't have to like some dude shouting at the camera, or some hipster showing off his new Jazzmaster pickups, but these guys are not Kardashians. They work hard, and have spent years pumping out 100's of videos to get a following.

In many cases 100,000 people+ have deemed these guys a voice of authority, information, entertainment, whatever. Calling them lucky, talentless hacks is your prerogative, but it's far from the truth.

Also worth remembering - experienced tone junkies (i.e. many of the guys here) are simply not the target audience of these channels. If you've been around and owned a few nice Marshalls, Soldano's, Bogners, Wizards etc. then you're not going to get much out of a 'how to EQ your DSL' tutorial. Fact is there's millions of folks that will happily watch a video on 'secret tube screamer tricks' and actually learn something.

That's all from me.

I think "worst" is something that is hard to define. Look at professional musicians for example. I love Steve Vai, but I'd rather listen to Kurt Cobain's riffs in the middle of a song, versus Steve's tons of instrumentals for too long. I think he is amazing though.

I don't have a problem with Pete Thorn but I guess I can say that I definitely wouldn't recognize him if I just heard a guitar playing. Maybe that is why people don't like him, because he tends to have "stock" riffs, etc

Rhett Shill is the final boss YouTube hipster, complete with boring whisper girl indie rock pretension and credentials

The fact that anyone can watch his videos with a straight face is endlessly entertaining to me

He's barely middling guitar player and engineer that appeals to beginners
Well, I wouldn't have slung an animadversion his way since he's successful doing whatever it is he does but I can't help to agree with your underlying assessment. I've never heard the guy play anything I can't play, or even anything that would strike me as a bonified guitarist. What I have heard him play has sounded like the polished, feminine rock cliches of an indie-pop strummer at heart. Nevertheless, I don't want to trash the guy or anything. If he ever puts out some impressive guitar playing then I'd give him due respect as a guitarist. However, I tend to avoid his videos when researching for gear purchases because I just can't identify with anything he plays. I also don't trust any popular guitarist gear reviews because 99% of them are either benefitting or pandering.

read all six pages... some hilarious stuff in here, loved it. There is a troll thread over on tgp right now in the guitar section called "holy markup".... another masterpiece ... who here is responsible? lol

I don’t know why any of you are clicking on videos for a bunch of talking heads on YouTube and expecting spectacular playing. If any of these dudes were something to write home about, they would be uploading very different content or have found other avenues for their careers. They are meant to demo/review gear and stir up conversation, simple mindless entertainment, not dazzle with their playing. In fact, some of the dudes I enjoy watching the most on YouTube are because I don't think they are technically great, but they are more "everyman" with a relatable skillset and taste in music, so when they demo some gear or whatever, it's something more or less relevant to what I might do (Leon, Kyle, Nielsen, etc). There are some players out there who are far less entertaining but such fantastic players that it honestly negates their demos, for instance Mike Hermans can plug a guitar into a dog's asshole and somehow blow my fucking mind with his playing, that I never even notice the tone. Yet you never see him yammering on about anything, just plays, which is not the same sort of content that the other dudes do. You guys expect too much from just regular dudes just blabbering about gear for a living. Some of them are cringey but if you're whining about their playing, it's because you're looking into entirely the wrong places to get that sort of fix.

Well, I wouldn't have slung an animadversion his way since he's successful doing whatever it is he does but I can't help to agree with your underlying assessment. I've never heard the guy play anything I can't play, or even anything that would strike me as a bonified guitarist. What I have heard him play has sounded like the polished, feminine rock cliches of an indie-pop strummer at heart. Nevertheless, I don't want to trash the guy or anything. If he ever puts out some impressive guitar playing then I'd give him due respect as a guitarist. However, I tend to avoid his videos when researching for gear purchases because I just can't identify with anything he plays. I also don't trust any popular guitarist gear reviews because 99% of them are either benefitting or pandering.
I have no issues with his playing. He does music that is not at all in the ballpark of what I care about. But something about his voice and face is so fucking incredibly "punchable", to put it lightly. Haha.

I’m not mad at any of these guys but some of the observations are pretty funny and I doubt any of them give a shit that we’re laughing at them. They’ve got plenty of people kissing their asses, I don’t think they’re going to go off themselves because we’re criticizing them.

It’s funny how Youtube guitarists have to really stretch out some stupid topic for a video idea. I’ve noticed some of them recently have done the same kind of “WOW I tried a cRaZy new tuning called C#” video. Like 10 minutes on just tuning down like they discovered something amazing.

It’s also kind of funny how you can just guess what kind of stuff a guy is going to play based on how he looks and what his video presentation is. Of course this Paul Davids guy is going to play triads on a strat like 99% of the time. He puts a lot of effort into his video production but it’s almost a little creepy with the mood lighting and whispering voice…is this about guitar or are you trying to seduce someone? And why are you always wearing a jacket indoors?

Weird thread... I don't hate any of 'em, but I don't watch that many to truly be able to form any opinion other than - they're out there putting their stuff online - and here's a thread on RT snickering about them out there putting their stuff online.

I think that says a lot.
(flamesuit donned 🤣)
Haters gonna hate. It's Sad Really.

Back