Buying Time: Amp Suggestions

You sound similar to me and are kind of all over the place with the wish list. I actually looked pretty hard at al those amps and ultimately took them off my list. I either got something that's equivalent or another amp took it's place on the list.

Of your list I's probably go with the ENGL Artist because I'm a little partial to ENGL's.

A couple of other amps for you consideration that would probably fit the bill:
  • Get on the list for the next run for a Headfirst Alta 100 - It's a fucking awesome amp, I love mine. Packed with Marshally tone goodness
  • EVO Amps TM50 - Made by Rob DeAntionio of Jaded Faith mods. It's a 50 watt 6L6 tone monster.
  • ENGL Steve Morse - To me it's a better version on an Invader. Ch3 gives so much control over shaping mids.
  • ENGL Inferno - Though it's more straight forward with controls, I consider it ENGL's best sounding amp
  • Peters with Fire Hammer or Plasma Blade channel - I have a Vega. It's less gain than the current models but can get into trash metal territory and sounds damn good.
The next couple I don't own, but have stayed on my list. You may like them too.
  • Science Decolonizer
  • Morris Sirrom
  • Fuck it, get a Wizard
If you're still thinking about Synergy stuff, maybe look into the older Randall RM100 heads. 100 watts and 3 module slots. Try to find one that already has the dual channel upgrade and Foglifter mod. If you're lucky and find one with the MM Transformer/Choke upgrade grab it right then and there. They sound darn good with stock transformers, but the MM ones take it to the next level. Or find a stock one on the cheap and send it to Rob for the full works.
I got lucky and found one with all upgrades except for the cathode bias switch. It can compete with my other amps pretty easily, especially with the Jaded Faith modded modules I have.

The Alta100 is THE shizz!
What I appreciate mucho is the ability to plug in and get a great tone very quickly and get lost in the chase….
The amp loves Creambacks.
The MIDI is powered in the amp which is dope AF!
The effects loop is killer also, no noticeable separation or artfifacts, designed right!
It’s also a great deal in today’s bludgeoning
boutique amplifier market.
Well..now it’s time to click outta’ standby and bring some relentless “Machine Gun”(Jimi)
through channel 2, Strat neck pickup.

By far the best seamless match dirt pedal is the
Kraken pedal.
Damn.., like crazy good.
I actually was a bit on the fence about the Kraken, I definitely was into it but the low end frequency feels was a touchy match.
Man, not so here.
Also worth noting,
Fulltone OCDv1.4,
LPD Pedals 87 Deluxe & 68 Deluxe
The Soldano SLO
-all were great matches but
the Kraken was roughly two solid notches above the other pedals in the showdown.
-For just sounding like a great extension of the amp in a new way that has a abundant range of flexibility in the equalization controls and is powerful as hell and gladly will do all the heavy lifting if need be.
So you can take it far as hell while sounding killer.
RIPPING lead tones.

Last edited:
Splawn QuickRod may be a great option. Killer modded Marshall tones that can cover a lot of ground. Great FX loop too.

Look for one with the B+, old/new, half power, and mid cut options so you have the all the flexibility you need.

That's a real varied list but I like the twin sister . Takes pedals well but it's pretty basic . I love mine .

Whatever you get, I can guarantee that you will constantly look at the other choices you listed and more for the rest of your guitar career, always wondering if you need those as well. I have everything I need BUT YET I constantly look for more tone.
Can’t go wrong with the Friedman small box.
In the end, the Friedman Small Box is kind of my gold standard for multi-channel, modded-Marshall type amps. I sorely miss my small box - and I had a BE-100 for years until recently. No matter what, I just couldn't get that out of my BE-100. I could get very close with the structure, saturation, gain, EQ controls but it's a bit more compressed and doesn't quite bloom like the Small Box. On the other hand, the reason I moved away from the Small Box is because I don't always want to use an overdrive. Sometimes I just want a bit more gain from the amp itself and the Small Box is just shy of getting there. Nevertheless, what you said might just apply to me even more so if I don't regain a Small Box.

I haven’t spent a lot of time with it yet, but I am very surprised by an Engl ironball that I just got. I knew Engls had that tight dry chug to them, but the clean and low gain sounds I’m getting are wonderful. I’m not going to sell my Marshall type amps, but they will certainly be getting less play time
I definitely considered the Ironball. The only thing is it's more affordable and accessible, but this purchase I've been saving for something I wouldn't otherwise be able to buy. I played the Ironball I a lot. However, never tried version II. I assume it sounds exactly the same but with effects and all that jazz. Did you get the Ironball I or II? If you tried them both, how did they compare?
You sound similar to me and are kind of all over the place with the wish list. I actually looked pretty hard at al those amps and ultimately took them off my list. I either got something that's equivalent or another amp took it's place on the list.

Of your list I's probably go with the ENGL Artist because I'm a little partial to ENGL's.

A couple of other amps for you consideration that would probably fit the bill:
  • Get on the list for the next run for a Headfirst Alta 100 - It's a fucking awesome amp, I love mine. Packed with Marshally tone goodness
  • EVO Amps TM50 - Made by Rob DeAntionio of Jaded Faith mods. It's a 50 watt 6L6 tone monster.
  • ENGL Steve Morse - To me it's a better version on an Invader. Ch3 gives so much control over shaping mids.
  • ENGL Inferno - Though it's more straight forward with controls, I consider it ENGL's best sounding amp
  • Peters with Fire Hammer or Plasma Blade channel - I have a Vega. It's less gain than the current models but can get into trash metal territory and sounds damn good.
The next couple I don't own, but have stayed on my list. You may like them too.
  • Science Decolonizer
  • Morris Sirrom
  • Fuck it, get a Wizard
If you're still thinking about Synergy stuff, maybe look into the older Randall RM100 heads. 100 watts and 3 module slots. Try to find one that already has the dual channel upgrade and Foglifter mod. If you're lucky and find one with the MM Transformer/Choke upgrade grab it right then and there. They sound darn good with stock transformers, but the MM ones take it to the next level. Or find a stock one on the cheap and send it to Rob for the full works.
I got lucky and found one with all upgrades except for the cathode bias switch. It can compete with my other amps pretty easily, especially with the Jaded Faith modded modules I have.
Well, the truth is I kind of go through these binges where I'll use a certain amp moat of the time. Before, that would lead to gear-whoring, but I don't have the money to squander these days. Now I know it's better to have a few favorite amps to satisfy my gear cycles.
Splawn QuickRod may be a great option. Killer modded Marshall tones that can cover a lot of ground. Great FX loop too.

Look for one with the B+, old/new, half power, and mid cut options so you have the all the flexibility you need.
I had a few Splawns for years. At this point, I'd get a Competition or maybe even a Nitro 100 if I went the Splawn route. Even though I loved my Quick Rod (which had all the updates and options), I just tend to gravitate towards those two Splawns.
That's a real varied list but I like the twin sister . Takes pedals well but it's pretty basic . I love mine .
The Dirty Shirley has always been on my lost but 2 things kept me from owning one. First, I couldn't seem to find a good deal when I got the itch for one. Second, it seemed too expensive for a single channel amp. When the Twin Sister came out, I was not only pleased the price was kept reasonable but really started to want one. You said the Dirty Shirly is great with pedals and I agree with that 100%, but it's also one of the few amps I really enjoy playing with low gain settings. The gain control is really great for lower volume playing at 3 or above because you don't lose much body in the tone. Some amps sound more anemic the lower the gain is set. As you increase the volume, the gain can go down to 2 and still sound/feel great. I may very well end up getting one. I just have to make sure I won't regret not getting a Small Box more. Tough decisions!!

I definitely considered the Ironball. The only thing is it's more affordable and accessible, but this purchase I've been saving for something I wouldn't otherwise be able to buy. I played the Ironball I a lot. However, never tried version II. I assume it sounds exactly the same but with effects and all that jazz. Did you get the Ironball I or II? If you tried them both, how did they compare?

Well, the truth is I kind of go through these binges where I'll use a certain amp moat of the time. Before, that would lead to gear-whoring, but I don't have the money to squander these days. Now I know it's better to have a few favorite amps to satisfy my gear cycles.

I had a few Splawns for years. At this point, I'd get a Competition or maybe even a Nitro 100 if I went the Splawn route. Even though I loved my Quick Rod (which had all the updates and options), I just tend to gravitate towards those two Splawns.

The Dirty Shirley has always been on my lost but 2 things kept me from owning one. First, I couldn't seem to find a good deal when I got the itch for one. Second, it seemed too expensive for a single channel amp. When the Twin Sister came out, I was not only pleased the price was kept reasonable but really started to want one. You said the Dirty Shirly is great with pedals and I agree with that 100%, but it's also one of the few amps I really enjoy playing with low gain settings. The gain control is really great for lower volume playing at 3 or above because you don't lose much body in the tone. Some amps sound more anemic the lower the gain is set. As you increase the volume, the gain can go down to 2 and still sound/feel great. I may very well end up getting one. I just have to make sure I won't regret not getting a Small Box more. Tough decisions!!
I love the twin sister and it's funny you say that because it's not a high gain amp and I play it at low gain settings . The 2 channel part is awesome and if you need to kick it it with a boost it can do most anything classic to modern rock real well. I didn't really like the small box that well . I thought it was a little brittle but don't take that as the gospel because I was at Guitar Center and don't remember what cabinet I was using.

I love the twin sister and it's funny you say that because it's not a high gain amp and I play it at low gain settings . The 2 channel part is awesome and if you need to kick it it with a boost it can do most anything classic to modern rock real well. I didn't really like the small box that well . I thought it was a little brittle but don't take that as the gospel because I was at Guitar Center and don't remember what cabinet I was using.
I think I know what you're talking about because my Small Box had a bit of a spikey top end, but Dave gave me a very simple negative feedback and it was perfect after that. I don't know if I'd still make the same decision today but it was the perfect fix a few years back.

Probably the only guy to recommend this amp off your list, but I say try out a H&K mk2. I had one in the stable from 2010 until 2019 and it my main amp in one of the bands I played in. One my favorite things about was actually how it responded with lead playing: a great balance of punch, saturation and compression on channel 3A that was super easy to play across the strings. They can also be had now for cheap. I have not played a mk3 yet....doesn't seem to be many guys who have taken a chance on them.

Engl Artist, or Inferno.
Yeah, I remember what you said about the Inferno in the other thread. I still want to consider it but cannot find one in the entire city of Houston to try out. The way you described made is sound very appealing, like a more aggressive Steve Morse or something.
The reason I love the Invader is mostly channels 1 and 2. The tone is incredible and like nothing else. I had a Steve Morse head for a couple of years because I thought it was kind of a better version of the Invader 100, except every time I'd come across an Invader and play it, I'd yearn to have one. The Engl Artist edition eventually came along and I was like wow! The Artist didn't strike me as particularly a unique sound, rather, an embodiment of refined Engl tone. It just sounds great at any spectrum of clean and gain. In fact, it seems to get overlooked by a lot of people who think Engl just makes plasticky metal amps, but it was designed for studio recording and you can really attain that with a cab mic.
I wish there was an Inferno I could try because I don't think I'd spend that much without ever having played one. This is going to be a really difficult decision this time.
Probably the only guy to recommend this amp off your list, but I say try out a H&K mk2. I had one in the stable from 2010 until 2019 and it my main amp in one of the bands I played in. One my favorite things about was actually how it responded with lead playing: a great balance of punch, saturation and compression on channel 3A that was super easy to play across the strings. They can also be had now for cheap. I have not played a mk3 yet....doesn't seem to be many guys who have taken a chance on them.
I have played the Triamp MK I and owned an MK II. What you said about lead tone is EXACTLY what I love most about it. I play instrumental metal/rock most of the time so having an excellent lead tone is a big consideration. I played an MK III at a local music shop shortly after it was released a few years back and it oozed out that MK II sounds but had a ton of other options. However, the MK II is such a complete amp that it seems hard to justify paying for all the bells and whistles. With the Triamp, it's almost all about tone, somewhat about versatility, and the rest aren't as important considerations in my mind. The MK III however does not disappoint. It sounds phenomenal even at low volume.

If you're considering SLO, Friedmans and Mezzabarba I would absolutely add Naylor SD60 and Landry LS50G3 to the list. Good luck and hope you find what you're after.
I have a lot of amps and the LS100 G3 is one of the best amp deals ever. Yes it is still 2700, but I have had it annihilate amps significantly more expensive. Has a fantastic clean, a lot of tonal options (modern, vintage, hard/soft etc.). And Bill is a nice guy. I would take the Landry over most any amp I own.

Landry is a nice guy, and I like that he posts a lot of video demos. They don't always convey the sound as good as they deliver in-person but he demonstrates a variety of playing styles and never neglects showinf lead tones. He's consistent but not innovative, so I find his amps to be completely reliable, great sounding, ever-improving, but not really departing from what he's already established. I had considered one of his 30w offerings but from what I've gathered, people seem to like the 50 and 100w models best. The G3 is up there with the best brands as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Landry is a nice guy, and I like that he posts a lot of video demos. They don't always convey the sound as good as they deliver in-person but he demonstrates a variety of playing styles and never neglects showinf lead tones. He's consistent but not innovative, so I find his amps to be completely reliable, great sounding, ever-improving, but not really departing from what he's already established. I had considered one of his 30w offerings but from what I've gathered, people seem to like the 50 and 100w models best. The G3 is up there with the best brands as far as I'm concerned.
Good summary and I agree with everything stated. The G3 and the MOAB are the modded Marshall sound perfected for me. I know his demos focus more on the VH sound and sounds from the era but it can do a lot more. I think I got mine used for 1600, which, for a 100 watt head, really is a steal.

Whatever you get, I can guarantee that you will constantly look at the other choices you listed and more for the rest of your guitar career, always wondering if you need those as well. I have everything I need BUT YET I constantly look for more tone.
Can’t go wrong with the Friedman small box.
You know.... having no money is a blessing in disguise, No GAS! I love it.

Well I do have money, but I have a very big drug habit.

Don't overlook the Rivera stuff.
I used to have a Rivera Clubster Royale and K-Tre and they were a fantastic amps. I've always liked Rivera amps but for some reason couldn't quite bond with the K-Tre, but the Venus and Pubster 25 are a lot of fun to play. Perhaps I'll go play a Knucklehead and see if it appeals to me these days.

Back