Need help deciding between a Diezel VH2 and VH4!

Soundstorm

I've decided to go for a full on high gain head for my next purchase. I've only owned an Einstein, never one of the bigger heads, but I've always loved the clips.

To anyone that's tried both the VH2 and VH4- does anything get lost in the translation with the smaller simpler amp? I'm tempted to get the VH4 for the addition of the second channel alone, as it seems that I would be able to scratch the cranked Plexi itch anytime I wanted there. The VH2 sounds like the first channel is from a different amp altogether (the Paul), and then the channel 2 is a "modified channel 3" of the VH4. I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and just going with the flagship offering first, but wanted you guys input. TIA!

I've decided to go for a full on high gain head for my next purchase. I've only owned an Einstein, never one of the bigger heads, but I've always loved the clips.

To anyone that's tried both the VH2 and VH4- does anything get lost in the translation with the smaller simpler amp? I'm tempted to get the VH4 for the addition of the second channel alone, as it seems that I would be able to scratch the cranked Plexi itch anytime I wanted there. The VH2 sounds like the first channel is from a different amp altogether (the Paul), and then the channel 2 is a "modified channel 3" of the VH4. I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and just going with the flagship offering first, but wanted you guys input. TIA!
I can't offer my opinion here but the Einstein is my favorite Diezel amp I have played.

vh4 over vh2 fr . The vh4 channel 4 is underrated , maybe the best soloing channel . Vh2 is just missing alot imo . I’ve always kept my vh4 in the herd.
That's definitely the way I'm leaning. The thought of getting convincing cranked plexi tones and punishing death metal from the same amp is attractive. The price isn't, but thems the breaks.

I’ve never owned either but have had the Hagen and Herbert. But my advice by the way you’re writing, you sound like me. If you go VH2, you’ll always have that sinking doubt feeling that you’re missing the “real thing” and end up getting the VH4 down the road. I’d just bite the bullet and go VH4, they hold value and can resale if needed.

I’ve never owned either but have had the Hagen and Herbert. But my advice by the way you’re writing, you sound like me. If you go VH2, you’ll always have that sinking doubt feeling that you’re missing the “real thing” and end up getting the VH4 down the road. I’d just bite the bullet and go VH4, they hold value and can resale if needed.
Yep you're right. Guess I'll start looking out for a decent deal.

It sounds like if you have the money then go with a VH4 so you won't be left wondering. However, from the brief experience I've had with the VH2 and having played the VH4 many times, I can't say that I'd be unsatisfied with the VH2. These days, however, I'd rather get a Hagen simply because it's basically built on the VH4 framework and has a fantastic clean channel. I don't know if the Paul is designed with the same cleans but they are very similar in my experience. The Hagen has a very VH4 lead channel that's very satisfying. As much as people love Channel 3 of the VH4, when compared to the Hagen, I personally like the Hagen most of the time.
Now the VH2, I'll tell you from brief experience that it seems to be EXACTLY like VH4 on channel 2, but channel 1 actually sound more like the Hagen or Paul. That in itself is worth a lot because I'm not sure I'd be as satisfied with the CH4 cleans. I'm also currently evaluating some channel switching amps to make a purchase and one of the tough decision factors has to do with having 3 or 4 very diverse channels as opposed to having 2 diverse channels.
For example, the Engl Invader 100 and Steve Morse have has always been my favorite Engls, but the Invader 100 has really great sounding and diverse channels - like the JVM 410. That's an advantage but in the end, I do prefer a bit more simplicity most of the time. Therefore, here's a breakdown:

1. VH4 -You're getting everything you want IF what you want is the VH4. You'll be lacking nothing.
2. CH2 has better cleans in my opinion AND channel 3 of the VH4. If channel 3 of the VH2 is what you want most, this would satisfy you.
3. The VH2 is a lot more affordable. However, it will require a bit more work with your pedalboard to diversify because you have only 2 channels to work from.
4. If you have the money for a VH4, you may want to consider the VHX which not only nails the VH4 channel 3 but also the Herbert and cleans like the VH2, and all in a 100w head.

In the end, nothing is going to satisfy a specific craving for a VH4 except a VH4. In your price range though, you have 3 awesome choices as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
It sounds like if you have the money then go with a VH4 so you won't be left wondering. However, from the brief experience I've had with the VH2 and having played the VH4 many times, I can't say that I'd be unsatisfied with the VH2. These days, however, I'd rather get a Hagen simply because it's basically built on the VH4 framework and has a fantastic clean channel. I don't know if the Paul is designed with the same cleans but they are very similar in my experience. The Hagen has a very VH4 lead channel that's very satisfying. As much as people love Channel 3 of the VH4, when compared to the Hagen, I personally like the Hagen most of the time.
Now the VH2, I'll tell you from brief experience that it seems to be EXACTLY like VH4 on channel 2, but channel 1 actually sound more like the Hagen or Paul. That in itself is worth a lot because I'm not sure I'd be as satisfied with the CH4 cleans. I'm also currently evaluating some channel switching amps to make a purchase and one of the tough decision factors has to do with having 3 or 4 very diverse channels as opposed to having 2 diverse channels.
For example, the Engl Invader 100 and Steve Morse have has always been my favorite Engls, but the Invader 100 has really great sounding and diverse channels - like the JVM 410. That's an advantage but in the end, I do prefer a bit more simplicity most of the time. Therefore, here's a breakdown:

1. VH4 -You're getting everything you want IF what you want is the VH4. You'll be lacking nothing.
2. CH2 has better cleans in my opinion AND channel 3 of the VH4. If channel 3 of the VH2 is what you want most, this would satisfy you.
3. The VH2 is a lot more affordable. However, it will require a bit more work with your pedalboard to diversify because you have only 2 channels to work from.
4. If you have the money for a VH4, you may want to consider the VHX which not only nails the VH4 channel 3 but also the Herbert and cleans like the VH2, and all in a 100w head.

In the end, nothing is going to satisfy a specific craving for a VH4 except a VH4. In your price range though, you have 3 awesome choices as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks for the reply. I don't know anything about the Hagen, guess I'll go do some digging!

That's definitely the way I'm leaning. The thought of getting convincing cranked plexi tones and punishing death metal from the same amp is attractive. The price isn't, but thems the breaks.
I’ve gotten so many tones from this thing.such a great amp

If that mid gain channel 2 sound is important to you, save up and get the VH4. You won't get it by simply turning down the gain on ch2 of a VH2. I pretty well just used channel 1 and channel 3 on my old VH4 (absolutely hated channel 4), so a VH2 would be great for me of I didn't have a VHX, which gets every iteration of Diezel tone.

Would you mind elaborating on this?

Also, of all the demos I’ve found online, I could never find one of any heavy rhythm playing on channel 4. Only solos.
Channel 4 boost cab get some great carcass type tones and extreme thrash . It’s underrated for that stuff

So here's my takeaway after watching a number of videos on both the Hagen and the VH4. The main differences I can see is that the VH4 excels not only at high gain sounds but also at low and mid gain, and does spot on cranked and modded Marshall tones (I've owned a number of vintage Marshalls to compare). Channel 2 and 3 on the Hagen in comparison sound like they want the gain to be cranked otherwise these channels sound a bit choked off. Where I prefer the Hagen to the VH4 is it's fourth channel, specifically for lower tuned metal. I find it has an incredible throaty growl that the VH4 doesn't seem to do. The VH4 sounds more low mid centered, while the Hagen sounds more open and with more hair and harmonics. For the type of stuff I play, I'm seriously tempted to get the Hagen for it's heavy tones on channel 4 alone. I'd need to come across a demo where someone can pull tones like that from the VH4 but I haven't found any. So TL;DR- the VH4 seems much more well rounded and the Hagen seems to excel at the most extreme styles. Again, this is what I took away from a couple hours worth of Youtube videos. I'd love to hear more from someone that has real world experience with both heads.

Man, if your musical proclivities take you to any sort of down tuned or metal with fast staccato palm muting (thrash, death, black) you want the VH4 over the Hagen. Herbert over the Hagen as well for that stuff.

The Hagen is going to be trickier to dial in for that stuff as it is a looser amp. A band member and buddy of mine, who is a Diezel fanatic has owned it twice now, and both times has gone back to his VH4. On my VHX, I will dial in a Hagen setting for chewy and fat leads, but for most of my rythm playing I am using some iteration of a VH4 ch3.

Man, if your musical proclivities take you to any sort of down tuned or metal with fast staccato palm muting (thrash, death, black) you want the VH4 over the Hagen. Herbert over the Hagen as well for that stuff.

The Hagen is going to be trickier to dial in for that stuff as it is a looser amp. A band member and buddy of mine, who is a Diezel fanatic has owned it twice now, and both times has gone back to his VH4. On my VHX, I will dial in a Hagen setting for chewy and fat leads, but for most of my rythm playing I am using some iteration of a VH4 ch3.
Well it’s down tuned but it’s on the slower, sludgier end of the spectrum. No quick staccato or anything like that. More along the lines of Neurosis mixed with Crowbar and early High on Fire. That growly side of the Hagen really caught my ear, and I’ve heard it through a number of different setups on demo vids now. I’m not a big fan of giving up the superior versatility of the VH4, but honestly my sound stays the same about 90% of the time. I still haven’t ruled out the VH4 at this point.

vh4 over vh2 fr . The vh4 channel 4 is underrated , maybe the best soloing channel . Vh2 is just missing alot imo . I’ve always kept my vh4 in the herd.
I agree with you on channel 4. I feel like it gets overlooked next to the legendary channel 3 but also enjoy ch. 4 with a boost infront for heavy riffing

Back