PRS pickup help needed….

Dimebag11

Hey everyone,

Looking to swap the 58/15LTs in a Custom 24 Fatback for something more aggressive and cutting. I play high gain and palm mute a ton. Love the \m/ in my P22, but would like a different flavor.

Should I be looking at a 59/09? Or a Tremonti?

Obligatory pics of guitar below 02BC79E9-A34C-4C5B-AE90-88AAEA5C7034.jpegA37B311B-8A99-46F3-BA11-7DD7620E8CBB.jpeg3A526010-364F-4A9B-AA08-BBE789E26F8D.jpeg

Ive had killer results with the Tremonti in multiple PRS guitars with Marshall based circuits, stays tight with a sweet top end and good mids, but I also love the Grissom bridge, its slightly less hot but very FAT. Amazing for lead work, but not as effective for really heavy rhythm work and palm muting as the Tremonti.
Very underated pups IMO, they are both fantastic, both have their strong points but are very different

Last edited:
For what you are going for, the \m/ is probably my favorite. That said, a Tremonti can bring the chunk. It is inspired by the Gibson 500T's that Tremonti was using in his Les Paul's before switching to PRS. It is hot, with a big low end punch and aggressive top end. The \m/ is a bit more aggressive through the midrange frequencies to my ears.

57/08's, 59/09's, 58/15's and DGT's all fall under the "hot PAF" umbrella. They all sound and feel killer and are very versatile. These are more my jam for the skate-punk and melodic hardcore stuff I am back to doing as they are super dynamic, clean up well, etc.

Another pickup to check out is the old PRS dragon 1. They are a bit fatter/warmer than the \m/ and Tremonti, but can absolutely bring it, chug wise.

I replaced my 59/09 bridge with the PRS 1985 treble reissue. The original pickups are the best IMHO

I had a 89 prs custom 24. Later I got a new custom 24, the tone difference was dramatic with the 89 PRS sounding way better. This is what prompted me to swap the pickup. I did, and It sounds closer to the 89 I had.

Rip em out, get some DImarzios or Duncans. Make sure you clip the treble bleed. PRS pups are the companies achille's heel imho.
That used to be the first thing I did when I got a PRS. Not anymore. Their 57/08 pickups and onward are as good as anything.

I have a set of \m/ in my Custom 22 as well, great combo. I had the same experience with the 58/15LT pickups that came in a 594 I had a couple years ago. They sounded great but a little low output for me, but adding a little volume/gain on my EQ pedal easily solved that and I really liked them.

The 58/15's are probably my least favorite PRS pickup. They're kinda flat and sterile.

That said, the 57/08's are much better. But, in this case I'd probably look at a Duncan Custom and '59 set-up. It'll get your chug on.

Hey everyone,

Looking to swap the 58/15LTs in a Custom 24 Fatback for something more aggressive and cutting. I play high gain and palm mute a ton. Love the \m/ in my P22, but would like a different flavor.

Should I be looking at a 59/09? Or a Tremonti?

Obligatory pics of guitar belowView attachment 158989View attachment 158992View attachment 158995

If you are a fan of the \m/ and play high gain go with the tremonti treble. I have that in my tremonti bartione guitar and it rips man.

Back