Went to Sam Ash yesterday, it was absolutely DEAD.

Metalhex

Everytime I've walked in there in my life, I've heard multiple people playing instruments. Guitars, bass, keyboards whatever. I went to Sam Ash at 2pm on a Saturday, and it was a sad, sad, ghost town. You can hear a pin drop. The section with the lighting and DJ equipment had all the display lights turned off. There were no TV's playing some live concert dvd like usual.

Not sure if they're going out of business or what, but if they keep looking like that, they will be! Was it just an off day with weird timing? The walls were loaded with these Michael Kelly brand guitars, and they all looked like junk to me.

I know covid and supply chain issues and inflation are ruining everything but damn! Just thought I'd share.

The one by me is more or less like that everytime I go in.

There isn't a Sam Ash near me, but the local GC has been pretty dead the last few times I went in.

On an up note the last few times I drove by the locally owned music store the parking lot was full. Maybe there's a migration away from the big chain stores starting since all they carry in store is low budget junk.

Reactions: ccn
Last time i was in the GC nearest me, it was like that.
They’d actually “repurposed” the glass amp room into a teaching lab or something. There used to always be someone in there ripping it up.

Is there that freaking much in mark up that they can survive on suck low volume?
I was in Sam Ash the other day, looking at a Nuno N4 guitar.

The sales dude was having some trouble with the terminal and walked away to get some help and left the thing unlocked. I happen to be in IT and decided to have a look around. What I found was on average a mark up of 45%. Totally floored at what these could be going for out the door.

Make sure on everything you’re at least getting 10% :unsure:

Last edited:
What state are you in? I’m in SoCal and that sounds exactly like the 2 Sam Ash stores near me. Bums me out. I used to find great stuff at SA all of the time

Reactions: ccn
the selection at a local music chain and GC is abysmal; the used gear sections in both are even worse. Nothing I'd want to buy. Limited selection. either entry level gear, or pro gear that is barely current or abused on the floor.

I buy most things now online; new stuff at MF or SW; new and used on Reverb.

edit: even the local CL. If I type in Marshall, for example, for a search, it's low end crap, the nearest decent tube amp worth considering is usually 2+ hours away. When I list gear to sell locally, it's surrounded by trash except for a few PRS, Gibson and Fenders, and the occasional other brand (Ibanez, Gretsch, etc.). I think I have the first piece of Engl gear ever for sale in the local area lol

Last edited:
Yep, my experience as well....
The only good thing that came out of this was that there were numerous times the stores were having more close out specials than often. It was a great time to buy a pricey ESP or Gibson if you were on the hunt for one.

Their pedal selection these days is laughable. You know shit is bad when they even run out of popular guitar string packs. The one time I went their for strings they literally had no 9 or 10 gauge packs available, in both standard and heavy top packs 🤦🏻‍♂️

I'm in CT.

I asked the guy, do you ever get any YJM strats in stock? He said," they discontinued that model.".

I was like.....huh?? I never heard that. Anyone else heard this?

Everytime I've walked in there in my life, I've heard multiple people playing instruments. Guitars, bass, keyboards whatever. I went to Sam Ash at 2pm on a Saturday, and it was a sad, sad, ghost town. You can hear a pin drop. The section with the lighting and DJ equipment had all the display lights turned off. There were no TV's playing some live concert dvd like usual.

Not sure if they're going out of business or what, but if they keep looking like that, they will be! Was it just an off day with weird timing? The walls were loaded with these Michael Kelly brand guitars, and they all looked like junk to me.

I know covid and supply chain issues and inflation are ruining everything but damn! Just thought I'd share.
Which Location was this? Mine is always busy.

Mine (and Guitar Center) seems like they have more people in there buying DJ equipment than guitars. I wouldn't be surprised if DJ equipment and recording equipment make up a huge part of their sales.

Buckle up, gear is overpriced, and people are freaked out for 2023 which hasn't even started. Used stuff is sitting for a long time from what I see.
Everything on the planet is overpriced. A friend of mine just bought a middle of the line Jeep, $54,215.

I'm in CT.

I asked the guy, do you ever get any YJM strats in stock? He said," they discontinued that model.".

I was like.....huh?? I never heard that. Anyone else heard this?
No, it’s definitely not discontinued. You can still buy direct from Fender, see link. I went to an Yngwie show a couple years ago and my friend paid for the VIP package where he got to meet Yngwie. During Q&A someone asked about his guitar and he gave the history and said it was one of Fenders best selling signature models of all time for whatever that’s worth.

https://www.fender.com/en-US/electr...yngwie-malmsteen-stratocaster/0107112841.html

No, it’s definitely not discontinued. You can still buy direct from Fender, see link. I went to an Yngwie show a couple years ago and my friend paid for the VIP package where he got to meet Yngwie. During Q&A someone asked about his guitar and he gave the history and said it was one of Fenders best selling signature models of all time for whatever that’s worth.

https://www.fender.com/en-US/electr...yngwie-malmsteen-stratocaster/0107112841.html
I hope you offered him a donut.

Back