Cheese Rock - Poison Cover

A little fun cheese rock for a Friday night.

Looks good. Lots of folks pooh on C.C for his goofiness but he did get to enjoy a long list of hits until he landed back on earth in rehab.
I’m much more impressed with you and others have a back tracking, multiple guitar parts, video and the production. Maybe I’m becoming like my dad in the fact that “I can’t do that”. But dammit I would love to do that. So… how the hell do you guys do this. What is the software, computer hardware, interface etc to create this.

Thanks. Been to many concerts over the years and Poison ranks in the top 5 of best show to go see. They had so many hits over the years that, like at a Jimmy Buffet show, the audience sings along with all the songs word-for-word. Must be amazing to be on stage and hear that night after night.

How do I make these videos? First, my tones come from a Fractal Audio Axe FX3 Mk2 (modeler). That is plugged into an audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20) that is plugged into a Windows based PC I built 10 years ago running Windows 10. Reaper is the DAW (recording software) I use to record the tracks and mix them. For mastering, lately I have been using Izotope Ozone which is run on that same PC.

For the songs, most of them I have listened to for the past 30 or so years, so they are fairly familiar. I will spend some time (hours, days) as needed listening to the song and picking out the various guitar parts. Then, I learn them. Usually, I will double track (record two separate performances) all of the rhythm/main guitar parts as mono tracks. These 2 (sometimes more) tracks get panned – usually one hard left and one hard right. The breaks, fills, and solos are tracked as stereo tracks. These tracks are laid down over a backing track that I either find online (YouTube, etc.) or have made using an inline service called Lalai.ai. They can take an original recording and remove the guitars while leaving the rest of the song relatively unmolested.

For the video, I use a Sony camcorder that records 1080P on MMC cards. I film myself recording all of the above tracks and then use these files to create the video portion of what you see. Many takes and cuts occur to get to the final product. As you can see, I try and showcase each of the parts in various forms in each video. For video editing, I use Adobe Premiere Pro which allows you to tie together various videos and sync that with the audio that I recorded in Reaper.

Overall, lots of effort, but I really enjoy making these videos. I’m nearing retirement age (early retirement) and wanted to learn how this process, and how YouTube, works. Eventually, I’d like to morph my channel into what you see plus have some instructional videos as well.

Thanks for the question – It made me finally write out my process.

Thanks. Been to many concerts over the years and Poison ranks in the top 5 of best show to go see. They had so many hits over the years that, like at a Jimmy Buffet show, the audience sings along with all the songs word-for-word. Must be amazing to be on stage and hear that night after night.

How do I make these videos? First, my tones come from a Fractal Audio Axe FX3 Mk2 (modeler). That is plugged into an audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20) that is plugged into a Windows based PC I built 10 years ago running Windows 10. Reaper is the DAW (recording software) I use to record the tracks and mix them. For mastering, lately I have been using Izotope Ozone which is run on that same PC.

For the songs, most of them I have listened to for the past 30 or so years, so they are fairly familiar. I will spend some time (hours, days) as needed listening to the song and picking out the various guitar parts. Then, I learn them. Usually, I will double track (record two separate performances) all of the rhythm/main guitar parts as mono tracks. These 2 (sometimes more) tracks get panned – usually one hard left and one hard right. The breaks, fills, and solos are tracked as stereo tracks. These tracks are laid down over a backing track that I either find online (YouTube, etc.) or have made using an inline service called Lalai.ai. They can take an original recording and remove the guitars while leaving the rest of the song relatively unmolested.

For the video, I use a Sony camcorder that records 1080P on MMC cards. I film myself recording all of the above tracks and then use these files to create the video portion of what you see. Many takes and cuts occur to get to the final product. As you can see, I try and showcase each of the parts in various forms in each video. For video editing, I use Adobe Premiere Pro which allows you to tie together various videos and sync that with the audio that I recorded in Reaper.

Overall, lots of effort, but I really enjoy making these videos. I’m nearing retirement age (early retirement) and wanted to learn how this process, and how YouTube, works. Eventually, I’d like to morph my channel into what you see plus have some instructional videos as well.

Thanks for the question – It made me finally write out my process.
I just started YouTube because no other way to share vids that people post ( I’ll rephrase). That’s the way I know how to do it from a large platform.

Back