Supportive gear?

Rev,

Thanks bro.

I remember Mark Day. How do you think I could reach Mark? Facebook?

So adding relief takes that much tension off? That's a good point. I used to run more relief but lately I've been running my guitars with the neck very straight.

My main amp now is a Bogner Shiva 20th with KT88s.

Mark’s quite active on FB, so he can surely be hit up there. He still works for Fractal, so the FAS forum could be another spot but he’s such a good dude I don’t think he’d not answer a FB message.

The neck relief thing is something I noticed in more recent years; I used to prefer them straight but when adding some relief in to raise the strings a pinch from frets 1-7 on my Strat, I had the bridge floating, when I added the relief and tuned it back up, the bridge was now level with the body and all I did was turn the truss rod a 1/16th of a turn. You figure, it IS bringing the headstock closer to the body, just extremely slightly, but when you’re putting up to 20lbs of pressure on thin little wire, closing the gap slightly from the headstock to the bridge the strings are going to feel a bit different.

And the relief generally allows me to get my finger meat under the strings enough to really grab ‘em, without jacking the saddles up too high.

I have a few 24 3/4 scale length guitars and play 9’s dropped a half step. Definitely easier on the hands. Have you tried that, perhaps dropping a whole step? Maybe a wider neck, PRS (SEModels as well) uses 1 11/16 wide at the nut and 2 1/4 at the 12th so the strings are a tad wider. The new PRS SE 594 is also shorter at 24.594” long.

Mark’s quite active on FB, so he can surely be hit up there. He still works for Fractal, so the FAS forum could be another spot but he’s such a good dude I don’t think he’d not answer a FB message.

The neck relief thing is something I noticed in more recent years; I used to prefer them straight but when adding some relief in to raise the strings a pinch from frets 1-7 on my Strat, I had the bridge floating, when I added the relief and tuned it back up, the bridge was now level with the body and all I did was turn the truss rod a 1/16th of a turn. You figure, it IS bringing the headstock closer to the body, just extremely slightly, but when you’re putting up to 20lbs of pressure on thin little wire, closing the gap slightly from the headstock to the bridge the strings are going to feel a bit different.

And the relief generally allows me to get my finger meat under the strings enough to really grab ‘em, without jacking the saddles up too high.
Thanks,
I used to use more relief so I am going to try this today. Thanks.
I'll try to find Mark as well.

I have a few 24 3/4 scale length guitars and play 9’s dropped a half step. Definitely easier on the hands. Have you tried that, perhaps dropping a whole step? Maybe a wider neck, PRS (SEModels as well) uses 1 11/16 wide at the nut and 2 1/4 at the 12th so the strings are a tad wider. The new PRS SE 594 is also shorter at 24.594” long.
We play most songs in standard and a subset of songs in Eb or drop D/C#.
I will try strings to accommodate.

Wrist pain has been pretty bad, mostly on bends but fast playing in general is painful.
I ordered a few sets of. 9.5 strings for standard tuning and I use 10s half step down. If still painful, I'll try 9s for standard.
I hate buzzing and chording doesn't hurt as much so I'm using heavier wound strings. Light plain, heavy wound.

Thanka guys,

I dropped my strings to 9-50 for standard and 10-52 for half step down.

I'm getting a Kemper and maybe a modelling rig.

From my experience, I agree they feel easier and more supportive to play. I hope this helps me!

Back