2023 Gear Goals

Bardagh

Surprisingly nobody got one of these threads going yet. What are you planning for gearwise in 2023? New additions? Changes of pace? Thinning the herd? Lying to yourself that you’re going to just be happy with what you have? 😏

I actually am pretty happy amp wise at this time. my GAS meter is the closest to empty it has been in a long time on that front. However I do plan on picking up a couple g12-65’s to put in an empty 2x12 I have sitting around, and SOMETHING to put in my empty 1x12 that will be a good alternative tonally to the alnico jensen in my deluxe reverb.

I really have been bit by the acoustic bug this past year and I think in the Summer when we do our usual jaunt around the NC mountains to take our girls to summer camp I’m going to hit a couple shops to check out and hopefully pick up a new one. I have my eye on some of the ones from Furch but also am always looking out for a decent deal on a Martin D-18 or D-28. There is a shop in Murphy, NC and another in Brevard that carry Furch and have good prices.

I’m also strongly considering building a guitar later in the year. One dude’s thread on his build with the dinky body from FNE and the neck from Parklane really got me looking hard. I think I want to build a normal alder strat first but I also like the idea of doing a super strat with a floyd and emg 81/60 or something.

I have a whole rack of guitars and basses that need attention. Going to try and focus on getting them going and off to hands that will use them. Outside of that, ENGL Fireball 100 or possibly a Savage 120. Also a Sunn 300T, also a____ ,also a ____ ,also a ____ etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have about 5 pedals on the fritz. I need to send them in for repair... That's really it...

I ordered another Suhr, but it won't be done until 2024.

Want to get either a USA Jackson warrior, or USA Ironbird. I refuse to pay over 5k for either though. Especially people trying to sell them for that with banged up corners.
You should check out the Ormsby Metal X to hold you off while waiting for a reasonable deal on a USA. People want ridiculous coin for even class axe BC Rich these days.

Well it started with thinning the herd and I'm still going to, but a very cool local music store that I have a good relationship with loaned me a new 2022 Epi LP Special in TV Yellow to do a video on and I liked it so much that I'm buying it. I influenced myself to buy the damn thing! I'll go broke doing that. But yes, I do plan to pinch out at least two guitars and a handful of pedals.

Well it started with thinning the herd and I'm still going to, but a very cool local music store that I have a good relationship with loaned me a new 2022 Epi LP Special in TV Yellow to do a video on and I liked it so much that I'm buying it. I influenced myself to buy the damn thing! I'll go broke doing that. But yes, I do plan to pinch out at least two guitars and a handful of pedals.
Viewers can really trust what you're saying on your videos because your only conflicts of interest are going the wrong direction financially.

I don't think I'm going to buy one this year but the Heritage Aged Artisan Dirty Lemon Burst H150's have really caught my eye. I don't really like any of the finishes or anything about the standard production Gibson LP's out there from recent years. I was keeping an eye out for another LP Signature Player Plus because I like the one I have so much, but I don't really love the other couple finishes they were done in.

You should check out the Ormsby Metal X to hold you off while waiting for a reasonable deal on a USA. People want ridiculous coin for even class axe BC Rich these days.
Yeah, it’s a bummer man. You know something is wrong when Korean made Bc rich stealths that are used are getting 2500 plus each sale and sold for 750 originally in the early 2000s lol.

I’ve got another Chubtone-esque build in mind. Other than that, I’m really digging my amps and effects right now. I may play a bit more speaker-go-round with one of my 4x12s. I have a pair of identical Splawn straight front 4x12s - both loaded with G12EVH speakers. I’d like to try a few different flavors in one of the cabs - while keeping the quad of EVHs just to make sure I like whatever I decide to swap in there. Currently contemplating a pair of 65 watt Creambacks with a pair of UK V-30s in an ‘X’ pattern.

I plan to buy nothing. My goal is to sell the stuff in my signature below. I already have everything I'll ever need. If my Rush tribute gets a little busier and I have nothing better to spend the money on, I may do another Hentor Sportcaster clone build, this time in metallic red with mirror pickguard like in the Distant Early Warning video. Otherwise, nope. I'm all good.

I'm going to be doing a continuation last years goal, and cutting down on possession, music gear included. I've slowly been migrating towards doing more playing/writing at home on my computer rather than using real amps, loads, cabinets, etc. I've went through a massive sell-off of gear and other various collections of bullshit I've accumulated. I would ideally like to get down to a single amp/single live rig, and have a basic home recording setup, and some sort of practice amp situation for when I want to just plug straight into something and not mess around with a computer. I'm slowly getting there... not sure about the "practice amp" for home yet though.

Reactions: rsm
I would like to grab a Naylor SD60 (again...lol)... would love a Knaggs Steckel if I could offload some stuff and the prices on those come down... truly insane right now.

I don’t know what I want until I see it. Then I want it just like my grandkids. Wouldn’t mind a morin and a VHT 2150.

I'm trying to limit myself to one nice guitar purchase per year, of something that's probably a legit long term keeper. This year I'm thinking some type of LP or maybe a PRS singlecut.

Amps, I need to keep at maybe one every two years. I already bought that MKV, so I'm at my quota for a while.

I need to call mesa here in a few weeks, see about getting a headshell for my MKIII combo, and sending it into them to be serviced.

I do have some PA gear listed for sale. Also an Ibanez RG8, two LTD eclipses, and an epiphone acoustic that probably need to go on the chopping block soon. If I sell all of that, I might replace it with another nice acoustic & possibly some sort of tower speaker system.

Back