2023 Gear Goals

When I was a kid I went to a guitar store in Murphy and jammed with a guy for a couple hours. I think I was 14 or 15 and we were playing dio, slayer, megadeth, Metallica etc. The store was really cool about it.

As far as 2023 I have a duvell that I am getting next week then I'm putting a deposit on a Sully concord or a chubtone star. Besides that I want to grab a gower killer Kali and an Atla 100.

When I was a kid I went to a guitar store in Murphy and jammed with a guy for a couple hours. I think I was 14 or 15 and we were playing dio, slayer, megadeth, Metallica etc. The store was really cool about it.

As far as 2023 I have a duvell that I am getting next week then I'm putting a deposit on a Sully concord or a chubtone star. Besides that I want to grab a gower killer Kali and an Atla 100.
Grab that Killer Kali ++ Laney 50 in the classifieds

Traded my 5150IIIS 100W EL34 for the following plus cash:

Royer 121
SM57
2x Mic stands
Apollo One USB Interface
Focusrite ISA-two mic preamp
Gator 12u shockmount rack
Furman 1800 power conditioner
Mogami XLR cables

Going to sit my ass down and get my recording setup straight so that I can once again enjoy recording and playing guitar. This is the year that Iā€™m tired of lack luster condenser mic recordings that have to be padded so heavily that delay sounds like room reverb. Iā€™m over it and fixing it.

Last edited:
I donā€™t know what I want until I see it. Then I want it just like my grandkids. Wouldnā€™t mind a morin and a VHT 2150.
A morin amp would be cool, not many of those. I have the 2150 and that makes sense. I posted earlier that a 2290 was a goal for 2023, here's why...

Yeah, itā€™s a bummer man. You know something is wrong when Korean made Bc rich stealths that are used are getting 2500 plus each sale and sold for 750 originally in the early 2000s lol.
$2500+?! Guess I should consider selling my Chuck Schuldiner Signature Stealth?

A morin amp would be cool, not many of those. I have the 2150 and that makes sense. I posted earlier that a 2290 was a goal for 2023, here's why...

Ya a Morin is one I want as well . About a year ago the one he did for Don Gilmore was on reverb. Mad I passed on it

U need to go out and kick yourself in the face. Preferably in the town square and repeat lol

Last edited:
Finally found some time over the course of the past 2 months to go through 2 music spaces (one's a proper recording studio), my storage (onsite and off-site), and pull together a WHACK of stuff I simply do not, will not, and won't ever use nor fool myself into thinking I will ever need to potentially one day possibly might use - and am selling it all. Cuz it's fkn useless clutter (to me) that anyone else could and rightfully should be having a right proper heyday with. All top quality kit - but hey man, if I haven't used it in 6 months let alone 10+ years - I seriously don't need it (and ya, I know about that Murphy's Law thing whereby as soon as it's sold - I'll need it - no. I have redundancies upon redundancies... Stupid, really. I know what I need, and it's not all this by a long shot šŸ˜‚)

So in short - cleaning house. And it's not a 2023 "goal", it's a let's get this shit done STAT, cuz some of this stuff hasn't seen the light of day for over 10 years.

/end

^ And I just gotta say, this ain't a "maturity" thing. It was a realization that the more I thought about all this shit I *had*, the more I thought about how I could and should use it. It was actually becoming a distraction - obstacles to my actually just getting in, plugging in, and making music. Instead I was finding myself going "oh I could use this here, or I can make this work there, I didn't know I had that, I should do a W/D/W/D/W setup" - seriously. Options Paralysis - defined.

Sell it.

KISS - Keep It Simple Studid šŸ˜‰

Traded my 5150IIIS 100W EL34 for the following plus cash:

Royer 121
SM57
2x Mic stands
Focusrite ISA-two mic preamp
Gator 12u shockmount rack
Furman 1800 power conditioner
Mogami XLR cables

Going to sit my ass down and get my recording setup straight so that I can once again enjoy recording and playing guitar. This is the year that Iā€™m tired of lack luster condenser mic recordings that have to be padded so heavily that delay sounds like room reverb. Iā€™m over it and fixing it.
Thatā€™s really not a bad trade at all. Those mics can cover a lot of ground and the ISA pres are great full sounding clean pres. Hopefully you have an interface where you can go straight to the converters with them.

^ And I just gotta say, this ain't a "maturity" thing. It was a realization that the more I thought about all this shit I *had*, the more I thought about how I could and should use it. It was actually becoming a distraction - obstacles to my actually just getting in, plugging in, and making music. Instead I was finding myself going "oh I could use this here, or I can make this work there, I didn't know I had that, I should do a W/D/W/D/W setup" - seriously. Options Paralysis - defined.

Sell it.

KISS - Keep It Simple Studid šŸ˜‰
I definitely sympathize with that, not because I have ever had near that much stuff but because I have lost a lot of time to having too many directions to go in that I get nowhere. I like having some options especially for different things I do, but mostly I just want a solid ā€œgo-toā€ setup for each one, and have it to where there is a minimal amount of fucking around when Iā€™m ready to actually get something done, whether itā€™s songwriting or tracking. Where I just know whatā€™s going to work and give me what I want.

That itself requires some time and experimentation, which I find enjoyable in itself, but itā€™s not enjoyable to have to do it when what you really want to do is work out parts to a song while youā€™ve got some inspiration.

Thatā€™s really not a bad trade at all. Those mics can cover a lot of ground and the ISA pres are great full sounding clean pres. Hopefully you have an interface where you can go straight to the converters with them.
Yeah thanks man! I agree itā€™s a decent trade through and through. I didnā€™t want to spend the extra money on my end but Iā€™m hoping itā€™s worth it for getting decent recordings.

I donā€™t have an interface at the moment, itā€™s the last piece of the puzzle. Still researching. I know I wanted a decent transformer based mic pre for the mics but Iā€™m struggling to find a decent interface to take advantage of it.

2023 gear plan;: All set on guitars unless a white SG standard becomes available at a reasonable price. Get my Marshall DSL 100 up and running. Need to replace the bias trim pots that I mangled. Test for stable bias and buy a new main board if necessary. Its been down since 2017. Another Friedman amp head. Likely a WW20 small box.

Iā€™m actually hoping to move a bunch of gear this year. I renovated a space to dedicate to my gear and anything that doesnā€™t fit in there nicely needs to go.
Now I just have to get posting here so I can use the classifieds!

Back