high gain users.. anyone use delay or reverb?

Bash_Man

I am curious if anyone in a live band situation apply any delay or reverb on their main heavy high gain Rythm sound?

Thanks

Yes, I play live, and I use Delay and Reverb on my Rhythm tones.
I currently use a Diezel VH4 with a HX Stomp XL for FX.
Switching to a Diezel VHX, for easier Post FX live.
I definitely get "my sound" with delay and rev on every tone, including Rhythm tones.

I find that using shorter decay time with delay helps on my Rhythm tones.
Also, light Reverb for Rhythm works great for me.

Are you using delay and reverb on your Rhythm tones?

Yes, I play live, and I use Delay and Reverb on my Rhythm tones.
I currently use a Diezel VH4 with a HX Stomp XL for FX.
Switching to a Diezel VHX, for easier Post FX live.
I definitely get "my sound" with delay and rev on every tone, including Rhythm tones.

I find that using shorter decay time with delay helps on my Rhythm tones.
Also, light Reverb for Rhythm works great for me.

Are you using delay and reverb on your Rhythm tones?
Right now no.. just dry drive sound. looking to experiment with either delay or reverb. Looking for some ideas.

Thanks for your input.

This is Rig Talk.. Every member has every Effect known to man..
I have a Fractal FX8. I mainly use the effects like chorus or phaser with clean. . have a seperate delay patch and my lead sound has a delay on it that's a different time than the other delay patch.

I have a Fractal FX8. I mainly use the effects like chorus or phaser with clean. . have a seperate delay patch and my lead sound has a delay on it that's a different time than the other delay patch.

That's cool, then you will have no problem testing out many different ideas.
Try a simple digital delay 500ms with a low decay/regeneration (like 30%), and slowly bring up the Mix parameter to see where you like it for Rhythm

Find a Reverb you like and set the decay to 50%, and slowly bring up the Mix parameter to see where it sounds good to your ears.
You can try longer decay, lower mix, etc....

In 1993 I got my 1st Credit Card and bought an Alesis Quadraverb right away.. It had all the basic Stereo Effects.
I could use it today and you would think it's a current piece.. I still have it.
But the point is that it's great to have a box with everything in it to try.
If the Fractal was available back then, I would probably get one.
It's better to have everything all in one to try that's good enough than having to get the best of everything individually.

Yes. Higher gain with verb and some trick dual delays for thickening - used often. Not always - but often.

High Gain Rhythm - no time based effects
High Gain anything else, like flavor parts or solos - Delay
Clean - Reverb

I'll say that my favorite delay tone is the Any Timmons style "Halo" delay, so basically delay doing its best impression of a dark reverb, but it's still fundamentally different than reverb in terms of how it sits with the guitar. Halo delay does a much better job of getting out of the way and sitting behind the guitar than reverb. Note I'm not necessarily talking about specifically the Keeley Halo delay pedal, just any stereo digital delay with the tone turned way down.

Yeah I have a delay on at all times mixed really low for high gain rhythm to thicken things up.

I don’t use reverb except on cleans. I hate reverb on solos as it makes things not cut as well. For practicing it covers up crap playing - I just don’t like it.

I also use chorus for the widening effect but like cocktails at the cocktail bar, you use it sparingly unless you want to be heavily judged 😂

I am curious if anyone in a live band situation apply any delay or reverb on their main heavy high gain Rythm sound?

Thanks

giphy.gif

Very short delay for rhythm.

No verbs for me unless on clean. Not much of a verb fan.

Had a huge rack full of amps and great effects until 2000 or so.
Sold off everything and gave up guitar for dope.
Started back up in late 2004 with just a guitar and amp.
Haven't used an "effect" since.

Back