John 5's "Un-rig talk" Motley Rig

I’d call it more a “real world” rig than un rig talk. All motleys classic albums were Marshall anyway

I’d call it more a “real world” rig than un rig talk. All motleys classic albums were Marshall anyway
Exactly. And why would John 5 want to take out a bunch of nice gear for a Motley tour? The people going to these shows are not the type to say, "Hey, that doesn't sound like Mick's Modded Marshalls - we demand real tone". No one is going to know the difference. Plus, JVMs and Boss pedals are pretty much available anywhere anytime.

Exactly. And why would John 5 want to take out a bunch of nice gear for a Motley tour? The people going to these shows are not the type to say, "Hey, that doesn't sound like Mick's Modded Marshalls - we demand real tone". No one is going to know the difference. Plus, JVMs and Boss pedals are pretty much available anywhere anytime.

im thinking back to when the JVM came out, a few of the cool crew here at the time played one at namm or something before it was released and the talk was it could put small builders and modders out of business it was that good. i think i remember some kind of mass order they did to get the amp a month early or something. for all that hype though the amp never really seemed to take off, ive still only seen a few of them out in the wild. id like to try one

I played a gig with a jvm once. It was pretty good I thought. Didn’t have much time with it but got some good tones

im thinking back to when the JVM came out, a few of the cool crew here at the time played one at namm or something before it was released and the talk was it could put small builders and modders out of business it was that good. i think i remember some kind of mass order they did to get the amp a month early or something. for all that hype though the amp never really seemed to take off, ive still only seen a few of them out in the wild. id like to try one
They sound good quiet . But they never will open up and roar like old Marshall’s .

I've played 4 different 410s on 4 different occasions and 1 - 205. I much preferred the 205. Probably because it was more simple. Can't argue that the 405/410 is not versatile. I just found the 410 somewhat overly compressed and somewhat 'fake' sounding for lack of a better way of saying it. I don't hate the amp though - I just think there is better out there for the money. For what John 5 is doing, it is perfect fine.

I've played 4 different 410s on 4 different occasions and 1 - 205. I much preferred the 205. Probably because it was more simple. Can't argue that the 405/410 is not versatile. I just found the 410 somewhat overly compressed and somewhat 'fake' sounding for lack of a better way of saying it. I don't hate the amp though - I just think there is better out there for the money. For what John 5 is doing, it is perfect fine.
If they can make the jvm open up like a JMP that would maybe then balance out all that compression

Let the rig fit the gig is what I say. To play Motley's music and Mick Mar's style, I think he has it right more or less. To me, Mick was a no frills guitar player all around. That is not a bad thing. I also hope John 5 can inject some better musicianship into those guys.

That was SteveVHT. I was in on that group buy. I really liked the JVM. I stupidly thought I could switch thru all 12 modes for seemless increases in gain and that wasn't happening. I wish Marshall would update the JVM.

Let the rig fit the gig is what I say. To play Motley's music and Mick Mar's style, I think he has it right more or less. To me, Mick was a no frills guitar player all around. That is not a bad thing. I also hope John 5 can inject some better musicianship into those guys.
I don't think the goal is to record music, it is to make money playing the back catalogue..

Love my stock JVM410, period. So much so I own two. Main amp since I got it. Always love to hear what it can't do lol, what I know is what it can do for me.

Since I purchased my first JVM, in the interim I've owned Fryette, Engl, Bogner, Friedman, JVM HJS, Modded JVM 410, EVH, I'm sure I'm forgetting something and the last amp that failed in "my" comparison to the JVM, the Mezzabara Trinity.

All great amps for those that like them, just like the JVM is a great amp for those that like them as well. I grew up with Marshalls in fact my first three amps were a 50W Marshall JMP Combo, 100 Non MV JMP Head and my workhorse in my early playing days a 50W MV JMP head. So I have a pretty good handle on Marshall tone, JVM more than hangs.

To each their own.

He'll likely be so buried in the mix of bass and drums that he won't cut through. This is what I heard last August. I believe it was by design to cover up Vince's vocals. They were bad. He sounded like Alvin from the Chipmunks. I threw up in my mouth before the 1st song ended...total suck. Dont expect any miracles with this change. I give John 5 one tour before he says fuck these ass clowns.

Back