How would you spend $5K on gear to rock the 80s?

#1)Don't buy anything "vintage".(amps especially)
There's so much killer gear, that's being manufactured right now,
that you don't need to go "OG/old school/vintage" to get those
'80s tones you are looking for.

Let’s say you have a JB loaded guitar, and a cab with v30’s or greenbacks.

With 5 grand I would order a custom Suhr se100 for roughly $4000, and use the rest on pedals.

Let’s say you don’t have any gear at all.

I’d spend roughly a grand on a guitar (I’d personally get a les paul type either studio or MIJ) of personal preference.
Find a used 2203x for around $2000 (could go 1959 route too with an sd1).
500 on a used Marshall or orange 4x12’s with v30s or greenbacks.
The rest on pedals (chorus, flanger, phaser, and a good overdrive/boost ala Suhr koko.)

Looking at roughly $4000 spent on the second route, and use the rest on lessons to actually sound like reb or warren.

ls0916-254020_1@2x-836332495.jpg

+
7f456b35a086709c0d02251a7e90f2ac-2046613375.jpg

What's funny is I remember the video you did of the V1 PT and liked the tone better on that one. I was actually looking forward to hearing these new vids of the V2 PT from you because I like your style and your videos best capture the AITR tone over many others. But was surprised to hear that I preferred the original you did a while ago. I might have a totally different opinion if I was actually playing them though.
That did sound good with a LP. This amp has so many more tones available and with that guitar I could duplicate that tone easily and have more on tap! But thanks!

Man, I had a Dual Rec with a 4x12 and a JC120 that I used with an A/B/Y box in the late 90s and it was such a cool setup. I never gigged that way because it was too much shit to haul around but I loved that rig at home.
Im amazed with the 50,000 Marshall derivatives out there nobody’s made a JC120 copy in a more manageable format. They’re the gold standard of cleans in my opinion, and just large enough to be a pain in the ass to gig with.

Chubtone Super Strat $1995 ish new

Marshall DSL 50 or 100 used, 500-600

Used cab with Celestion 75s, 500-600

Boss SD-1 or Ibanez TS 9, 50 bucks used

cheap delay and chorus pedals, 50-100 each

Works for Jon Levin

Works for Jon Levin
Pretty sure his are modded to some degree. And, if I were touring I'd take the best sounding and most disposable amp available. Which, for many players happens to be DSLs.
But a JMP/JCM will kick the snot out of even a modded DSL.

Pretty sure his are modded to some degree. And, if I were touring I'd take the best sounding and most disposable amp available. Which, for many players happens to be DSLs.
But a JMP/JCM will kick the snot out of even a modded DSL.
His amps are rented back line, dead stock. I’d prefer an 800, JMP, or Super Lead too, but given the budget constraint and how much of it I used on the Chubtone and considering the tones Levin gets I think it’s a workable solution that’s under budget.

Im amazed with the 50,000 Marshall derivatives out there nobody’s made a JC120 copy in a more manageable format. They’re the gold standard of cleans in my opinion, and just large enough to be a pain in the ass to gig with.
Fucking awesome amp.. I thought that small Gallien Kruger 250ML with the 2x6 inch speakers was nice but like “scrappy doo” used only as an alarm clock… the JC120 would blow the damn wall down with a clean wave of chorus.

Works for Jon Levin
John totally nails the original tone and style of George on the "Remastered" albums he has done with Dokken.

Back