New Fortin Meshuggah??

I’m going to say I thought it sounded sweet.
Limited to 50 and 5K yeah pricey but then again I see people on here with 4 wizards or 6 Diezel amps and people moaning about 5K. Seriously

I was wondering what happened to the pumpkin too. The killer tones dude promoted them quite a while back. 🤷‍♂️ Seems it was a one or two off vaporamp.
Price has gone down to 5k? Didn’t see it listed that low

People aren’t bitching about the price this is about value. It’s a 50 watt Jose modded Marshall…~1000 bucks in parts by an unknown builder, which is being released at approximately x2 what they were originally going for (which was also thought to be overvalued when it came out).

Sounds good, I owned one, but it also lacking in a lot of areas and needed a hard boost to get to the territory of what it’s designed for

Last edited:
So what is this thing, at its core - another José variant? For that money it had better do something, or have features no other amp does.

JCM800 with Jose mod. Gain controls for first two stages, bright cap on gain 2, goosed V1a plate load, pre-tone-stack master volume with clipping diodes. The rest is stock JCM800.

untitled_by_haftelm_dciyjwc_fullview_by_haftelm_dcz8ekw-fullview.jpg

How much is a original Jose modded Marshall?
I have no clue what’s inside but a clean Marshall gonna run you 2-3K. Then mods. Then a go through to check tubes capacitors etc.

So they won’t be cheap either. 🤷‍♂️ I think my Monomyth skeleton key totals it. But it still sounds good to me. 🤷‍♂️

I have no clue what’s inside but a clean Marshall gonna run you 2-3K. Then mods. Then a go through to check tubes capacitors etc.

So they won’t be cheap either. 🤷‍♂️ I think my Monomyth skeleton key totals it. But it still sounds good to me. 🤷‍♂️

I would just get an original JCM800 and mod it myself. Or buy a Marshall kit and build it myself to whatever mod you want, using whatever parts you want. You can get a chassis and blank turret board for cheap. Then order all the parts from Mouser or Digi-Key. Get iron from Heyboer and you're good to go for about $1800 as long as you know what you're doing. That's the hard part.

Then you can give your build a cool name like Tumble Dry Low or Tumble Dry High or Plutonic Annihilator and sell it for $5,000 as the latest and greatest metal monster for all the kids on FB groups. Then change one resistor and one capacitor and call it the "Shred Stick" as a new variant and raise the price to $6,500. People will eat it up.

Your math and logic here is pretty bad, that aside you’re missing the point. Not everyone critiquing this, is saying it sounds bad and doesn’t deserve to be at a premium, quite a few are, which is also pretty fair. This is not a Marshall it’s a clone of a Marshall with an unknown builder. Compable would be a Ceriatone which go well under your 2000-3000 value

Also, going off the only clip of this new version, what sounds to you? The 10 seconds he doesn’t boost it? Or when it’s being driven by a boost
thats an additional 300$.

I would just get an original JCM800 and mod it myself. Or buy a Marshall kit and build it myself to whatever mod you want, using whatever parts you want. You can get a chassis and blank turret board for cheap. Then order all the parts from Mouser or Digi-Key. Get iron from Heyboer and you're good to go for about $1800 as long as you know what you're doing. That's the hard part.

Then you can give your build a cool name like Tumble Dry Low or Tumble Dry High or Plutonic Annihilator and sell it for $5,000 as the latest and greatest metal monster for all the kids on FB groups. Then change one resistor and one capacitor and call it the "Shred Stick" as a new variant and raise the price to $6,500. People will eat it up.
giphy.gif

Man I wish I knew what I was looking at… I have no idea what combination of components and wires make up a “Jose” mod.

Reza let Dave Friedman take an intimate look at a Meshuggah. So who knows…

JCM800 with Jose mod. Gain controls for first two stages, bright cap on gain 2, goosed V1a plate load, pre-tone-stack master volume with clipping diodes. The rest is stock JCM800.
off topic but do you know what a Wizard MTL is by any chance mate?

untitled_by_haftelm_dciyjwc_fullview_by_haftelm_dcz8ekw-fullview.jpg
Nice build man. 330k V1a plate?

So this is basically an Atomica? That's an amp I haven't come across yet, not sure there's any down under at all.

Nice build man. 330k V1a plate?

So this is basically an Atomica? That's an amp I haven't come across yet, not sure there's any down under at all.

That's not my build. That's an actual Meshuggah. Here is one of mine.

But yeah, it's pretty similar to an Atomica in many ways and also some Camerons I've seen. And also just a general DIYer take on the Jose mod. People discussing this kind of circuit on many forums over the years (Metro, SLO Clone, Amp Garage, etc.). The specific combo of cathode arrangements and voicing options are usually what most people suggest for a punchy modded Marshall sound. 2k7/.68 cathodes in the first two stages, 820R/.68 in the third. 330K v1a plate, bright cap and NFB to taste.

img_8080_recovered_by_haftelm_dcshukc-fullview.jpg

Man I wish I knew what I was looking at… I have no idea what combination of components and wires make up a “Jose” mod.

Reza let Dave Friedman take an intimate look at a Meshuggah. So who knows…

What most people refer to as the "Jose Mod" in it's most basic form, is a pre-tone stack master volume control with some clipping diodes. This mod also utilizes a cap and a resistor between the cathode follower and volume control. So really... you have one resistor, one cap, one pot, and two zener diodes (or transistors) between V2b and the tone stack. About $8 in parts. The degree of clipping can be changed by using different zener diodes and you can wire them up symmetrically or asymmetrically for different clipping characteristics.

You can get creative and add multiple clipping options on a switch, alter the value of the cap to affect the sound/feel, add resistors in certain places to lessen the effect of the diodes and make them more "tube-like" in their response, and so on. All of this is outlined in books on the tube amps.

Now, that basic mod sounds much better when combined with other things in the circuit. Like utilizing independent gain controls for each of the first two stages, raising V1a plate resistor value slightly, adding a bright cap to one of the gains, biasing each stage to sound like how you want via cathode resistor and cathode bypass cap combinations, and playing with the value of the first two coupling caps. Anything goes. All depends on what kind of sound you want.

And the classic "Jose" amp itself had other things like dual/switchable masters.

Taking it further, you can then play with the bright cap value; NFB circuit; presence cap values; depth cap values; slope resistor values; grid resistor values; PI cap and resistor values; power stage grid resistor values; power section for voltage changes; and so on. All of this stuff is outlined in great detail on many DIY forums and in many books on tube amp design.

Love all of this except one thing is missing.
Your hairstylists ( the rad chick that cuts your hair),
I need her digits..her phone number, if it’s cool?

Love all of this except one thing is missing.
Your hairstylists ( the rad chick that cuts your hair),
I need her digits..her phone number, if it’s cool?
The builder’s with brains are giving you a thank you ‘wink’.
So $1800.00 in materials assuming the time to source it all is free?,
THEN skilled hands with working common sense has to melt it all together..
-My price for that amplifier would be $6000.00
plus tax & fee’s.

The builder’s with brains are giving you a thank you ‘wink’.
So $1800.00 in materials assuming the time to source it all is free?,
THEN skilled hands with working common sense has to melt it all together..
-My price for that amplifier would be $6000.00
plus tax & fee’s.

I'm having a hard time following your thought process here. Not sure what you're saying.

Back