NAD: Marshall SC20H in the house...

napalmdeath

Showed up today, and it's a used 2019. Sounded good, but I retubed it anyway... I was concerned the new JJ KT77's I had would be too hot at 55, but the factory JJ EL34's were rated 53, so non-issue.

Plate voltage was 260, and plate current with the KT77's was 56. Technically, its still somewhat cool at roughly 60%, but it sounds good as hell! I put a Tungsol in V1, a JJ ECC83S in V2, and a Sovtek LPS in V3. Good to go..

So, it is light in the gain department for sure. Even boosted. But, the Fortin Hexdrive was the clear winner here out of several, as its got gobs of output.

Observations vs. the PT-20 V2:

It's definitely bigger sounding with the bigger bottles. It can easily be much brighter too, if you dial it in that way. Gain level is closer to the Runt 50, maybe less.

The FX loop is not as good as the Friedman, (not many amps are), but certainly usable.

It is plenty loud. Loves the Creamback 65's. It's definitely got that Marshall kerrang. No doubt. All Marshall here!

I have a Hot Mod I'll be putting in tomorrow. I'm guessing that increased gain, the SD-1 will end up being the boost of choice when it fattens up. Of course, I can easily back down the Hexdrive too, and I'm sure it'll sing.

Overall, I'm very pleased. VERY impressed with it. Another killer little amp.

Could you do a clip before the hot mod and after the hot mod both boosted and not?

Not a lot of clips running these hard.

Cheers man congrats! It’s true Marshall character through and through. I’m surprised at the small plate voltage.

Could you do a clip before the hot mod and after the hot mod both boosted and not?

Not a lot of clips running these hard.

Cheers man congrats! It’s true Marshall character through and through. I’m surprised at the small plate voltage.
I need to invest in some recording equipment. It's another rabbit hole I didn't want to go down. 🤣

I have the hot mod with my SC20 and I love it. Just gives you that extra bit of gain you need and then boost it. I use the SD-1, Hex drive, and Fortin TS-9, and they all sound great in front of it in different ways. I hate smaller amps in general with EL84 or 6V6s, and I’m so happy Marshall used EL34s here. You do miss that extra weight and thump behind the sound you get with a 100 watt, but for playing at home it’s perfect and gets you most of the way there.

Awesome.
Eddy Lenz does a KILLER mod to those.
They look killer murdered out all black.
That’s kewl’ with the stout 77’s,
I say put some big bottle 6ca7’s(EH)
Or JJ EL-34L’s, strong TungSol V1,
strong Chinese the rest, strong Sovtek LPS balanced PI.
Fire in the hole that Motherf’er.

I have the hot mod with my SC20 and I love it. Just gives you that extra bit of gain you need and then boost it. I use the SD-1, Hex drive, and Fortin TS-9, and they all sound great in front of it in different ways. I hate smaller amps in general with EL84 or 6V6s, and I’m so happy Marshall used EL34s here. You do miss that extra weight and thump behind the sound you get with a 100 watt, but for playing at home it’s perfect and gets you most of the way there.
I agree. I got the Hot Mod in it today, and it really wasn't over-the-top gain by any means, but its there. I actually run the boost up, and gain down. It adds nice punch. I threw an SD-1, Hexdrive, GT-OD, and Zakk Wylde OD at it. I found the Wylde OD and an EQ pedal in front to be the ticket. The amp is considerably quieter than my Friedman PT-20 V2. I use a noise gate, but ran it much lower with the Marshall, even with a Hot Mod, and boost/EQ in front.

I love this amp! It's Marshall goodness in spades, and might put the Friedman on the chopping block... I'd rather keep the Marshall and buy another Gibson..😁

Showed up today, and it's a used 2019. Sounded good, but I retubed it anyway... I was concerned the new JJ KT77's I had would be too hot at 55, but the factory JJ EL34's were rated 53, so non-issue.

Plate voltage was 260, and plate current with the KT77's was 56. Technically, its still somewhat cool at roughly 60%, but it sounds good as hell! I put a Tungsol in V1, a JJ ECC83S in V2, and a Sovtek LPS in V3. Good to go..

So, it is light in the gain department for sure. Even boosted. But, the Fortin Hexdrive was the clear winner here out of several, as its got gobs of output.

Observations vs. the PT-20 V2:

It's definitely bigger sounding with the bigger bottles. It can easily be much brighter too, if you dial it in that way. Gain level is closer to the Runt 50, maybe less.

The FX loop is not as good as the Friedman, (not many amps are), but certainly usable.

It is plenty loud. Loves the Creamback 65's. It's definitely got that Marshall kerrang. No doubt. All Marshall here!

I have a Hot Mod I'll be putting in tomorrow. I'm guessing that increased gain, the SD-1 will end up being the boost of choice when it fattens up. Of course, I can easily back down the Hexdrive too, and I'm sure it'll sing.

Overall, I'm very pleased. VERY impressed with it. Another killer little amp.
What kind of cab are you running it into?

I think I might try one of those . I sold my SV20H here a few weeks ago and realized what a mistake it was when I was boxing it up . I hadn't played it really at all for a few months then I fired it up and damn did it sound good !! Marshall did a great job on those 2 amps and I actually think it's because they use EL34's in them .

I kind of regret selling mine.. sounded great with an SD1 in front. Though it really made me want a bigger one.

I think I might try one of those . I sold my SV20H here a few weeks ago and realized what a mistake it was when I was boxing it up . I hadn't played it really at all for a few months then I fired it up and damn did it sound good !! Marshall did a great job on those 2 amps and I actually think it's because they use EL34's in them .
They always sound their best when they're sold! 😅

I had the SV20H and hated it. Too spongy, loose and flabby. Interested to see if anybody's doing mods for those?

Had one for a couple years. Nice, but bad effect loop and really on the bright side (I like darker amps).

Back