Who is doing hard rock Marshall mods now?

lespaul6

I'm talking hard rock, no chung chung gained out preamp section or brown sound... that's all played out for me. I can't think of anyone who is doing a quality mod like this in the usa. Friedman does the BE but no one else does a medium gain mod like that. Golub is dead, Levi is dead, Caswell doen't do mods anymore, Jose is dead. something that sounds like this

My blue collar mod is a slightly gained up stock 3 stage on the low input - cleans are just a volume knob roll away so it’s very crunchy. My hi input revoices things a bit and adds another gain stage all accessible via footswitch and always cathode follower by design. I wanted the ability to SD-1 push the low side if I wanted or have a 4 gain stage setup out of the same amp. The true awesomeness is that you can still access either the hi or low input from the front of the amp like a stock JCM800 without the footswitch.

looking for the nasty top and choppiness of the 36 mod like Lenz does here.. not sure why it starts at 5min in but go back to the beginning for the 36 sound

Last edited:
Take a 2203/4 and throw a low gain OD in front. Instant mod. And when you want to change it up try a different low gain OD in front.

That tone, while badass, isn't that hard to get. Marshall + boost + volume.
This is a good suggestion imho. Low gain mods to me seems a little overkill. I like using something like a klon type pedal to give some extra sauce.

For sure...I'm using a good old SD 1 with my 2203 reissue and a boss ge7 with the 2555... been doing this for years now and they hold up!

I was going to say, a stock standard 2204/2203 with a stock MIJ Boss SD-1 in front will do that tone all day long.

For sure...I'm using a good old SD 1 with my 2203 reissue and a boss ge7 with the 2555... been doing this for years now and they hold up!
Try the Suhr koko boost in front of your 2203. I’ve been listing for a SE modded amp, and the Suhr in front of my 77 2203 almost scratches the itch perfectly.

looking for the nasty top and choppiness of the 36 mod like Lenz does here.. not sure why it starts at 5min in but go back to the beginning for the 36 sound

HELL YEAH.
The best of all the herd.
I suggest his Hot Chili 100.
So many killer Marshall sounds & feels.
So good I even had a bionic 4X12 made for it.
The loop is dope AF., finally send & return controls.
I’ve come to that intersection,
no more channel switcher’s.
This amp will do that to you.

Best amp I ever had was a Splawn modded Marshall 1959SLP reissue. Not sure he does mods any longer after Splawn amps went into full production.

Back