VHT/Fryette amps - best high gain tones....ever?

savant421

Dialing in these three brutes and god damn if they aren't the most articulate, punishing high gain tones that have very few, if any, rivals. Maybe the "one" dual recto or a 2203 but.. wow. I've even heard the Fryette > Wizard argument and I can't say I don't disagree even tho I only own a MCI for comparison. Not sh*tting on other amps but VHT is for real and others should be scared :)

Attachments

• 20230208_123904.jpg
    20230208_123904.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 99
I’ve owned and played a lot of amps and I don’t own any vht or fryette anymore. Tone is in the ear of the beholder.
Fair enough. I've owned ALOT of amps and VHT/Fryette always floors me like "why aren't these more popular?" I know some think they are stiff and unforgiving like Splawn

They are certainly up there to me IMO. While the Deliverance is a crushing amp on its own, I prefer the percussive attack of the UL more.

To the people that complain about bland voicing with no character, put a boost flavor of your choice in front and problem solved. The UL just might be the best pedal taking amp I’ve ever experienced. Let’s the true character of your pedal shine whichever you choose. Klon flavor, TS flavor, BB flavor, you name it, it blends beautifully.

I own 3 MTLs and an Ultra Lead if that says anything. The MTL to me is like UL on steroids. I've had the UL for almost 10 years, and I love it, but I'd let go of it before I parted with one of these three MTLs.
I make no secrets that I'm VERY interested in a MTL and would love to put them head to head (see what I did there?). 3 MTL's is prob tone nirvana!

I've owned seven Fryette/VHTs and the 100CLX was the best of the bunch for me...D60 runner up. They have been among my favorites for articulation/punch, but the Wizards I've owned have always surpassed the Fryette/VHTs in tone, articulation/punch.
So serious question for debate. Would you say your Wizards are miles ahead of the VHT/Fryette's or is it more of a "they're pretty close" type of feeling? Trying to quantify the diff

So serious question for debate. Would you say your Wizards are miles ahead of the VHT/Fryette's or is it more of a "they're pretty close" type of feeling? Trying to quantify the diff
Unless you A B em yourself you will never know. Each person has a different perception of what #pretty close# means. I've only played a wizard once and I gotta say it's like a boosted deliverance / or a deliverance on steroids if you prefer. I wish I could afford one... These things are super rare and expensive here in Europe

I’ve had a few Fryettes and they were all great.
But I gotta say, my Uberschall rev blue was my favorite high gainer

Last edited:
@ultimatemetalguitartones nailed it.

But I've had seven Fryettes/VHTs and seven Wizards and every time I sell a Wizard thinking I can get close enough with a Fryette, I wind up missing the Wizard pretty quick. It becomes very apparent, that while awesome, the Fryettes aren't Wizards. IMHO the Wizards are significantly better.

That's not to say the Fryettes aren't incredible, but the Wizards hit harder, have even more clarity, a more pure or natural tone to my ears. I spent the last year with two Fryettes and several Wizards periodically side by side and the Wizards are much better to me. I just sold those two Fryettes & several other amps in favor of an MCII KT150...as great as the Fryettes were, the Wizards just do the Wizard thing and no Fryette or any other amp I've owned does "that" thing.

Last edited:
@ultimatemetalguitartones nailed it.

But I've had seven Fryettes/VHTs and seven Wizards and every time I sell a Wizard thinking I can get close enough with a Fryette, I wind up missing the Wizard pretty quick. It becomes apparent real quick, that while awesome, the Fryettes aren't Wizards. IMHO the Wizards are significantly better.

That's not to say the Fryettes aren't incredible, but the Wizards hit harder, have even more clarity, a more pure or natural tone to my ears. I spent the last year with two Fryettes and several Wizards periodically side by side and the Wizards are much better to me. I just sold those two Fryettes & several other amps in favor of an MCII KT150...as great as the Fryettes were, the Wizards just do the Wizard thing and no Fryette or any other amp I've owned does "that" thing.
For us gearheads “close enough” doesn’t cut it lol, but maybe we can forgive “close enough” for playing sometimes lol. I agree on all. I still have though a 2150 poweramp & Fatbottom cab that I like. Maybe if Wizard also made a good rack poweramp it could send my 2150 packing, but for now it’s staying

Back