NGD - Edwards LP copies are the truth

Bad.Seed

Purchased from a fellow forum member here, so I figured I'd throw up a post!

I had been curious about Edwards for years, but was never brave enough to take the jump. Last year, I was selling a Marshall SC20H, and someone locally offered me an Edwards E-LPC-98LTS, some cash, and a valuable pedal in trade. At the time, I was making out pretty well on the trade.....the Marshall amps have since skyrocketed in value, so oh well. Lol

I took the guitar in trade with full intent to move it along. Owning a couple Gibson LPCs along with many other single cuts, I didn't really have room for it. I pulled the guitar from it's case in curiosity, and just like that, I knew it was going nowhere.

I've seen many claims about Japanese LP copies being better than their American counterparts. I never really believed it until that moment. Now I get it. The Edwards DEFINITELY played better than either of my Gibson models. It was a little upsetting to be totally honest.

Anyways, this has led me to keeping an eye open for more Edwards models, and more Japanese models in general. This Edwards popped up at a reasonable price here in the forum. It's definitely got some love marks and signs of wear, but it had a vibe in the pictures that I was into. A player, through and through.

It showed up today, and the vibe all the way there. It looks and feels like a well loved guitar. It sounds great as well. Thick and full, a bit more mellow than my Gibsons, but not in a bad way. I love the JB pickup, but I may go for something more PAF inspired for a little more top end bite and vintage vibe. I generally play metal, but my amps do the heavy lifting as far as gain goes.

Here's some pron for you
327316057_1249425365920793_4128515547850677638_n.jpg
327338345_1197410327580623_298737316106852605_n.jpg
327793794_890939438720157_7887229795446568203_n.jpg

Love my edwards..it is a 2005 model and my only complaint is the low profile frets. But the neck and fretboard are super smooth. Hefty chunk of wood sounds thick but cuts. I think mine has an older JB in it because it sounds great and different than my other jb. Edwards value will hold or go up especially now since gibson apparently went after them. I've co sidered grabbing another as well. Could of had a sykes model a while back for about 1100 canadian. Should have pulled the trigger, prices are going up.

They also *look* way better quality than Epiphone.
I agree. They have the real deal vibe to them. There is something about Epiphones that never quite look right. I think it's in the binding, fretboard and inlays. They literally all have this "off" look to them. I've been impressed with their newer stuff, though

I agree. They have the real deal vibe to them. There is something about Epiphones that never quite look right. I think it's in the binding, fretboard and inlays. They literally all have this "off" look to them. I've been impressed with their newer stuff, though
Personally, I think they've improved in the looks department, but both of my newer ones have had the same crappy fretwork as always. They're solid all-around, just REALLY bad playability-wise. Can be solved by a competent fretjob, but still. LTD's play amazing out of the box, and aren't much more expensive. I bet Edwards are even better in that department.

Edwards are nice; they have a bit of their 'own thing' vs a real LP. Try a Greco sometime if you want more a straight LP clone i.e. the carve etc.
Had an Edwards Sykes, and am on my 5th Greco. All are killer and a great alternative to a real Gibby if you don't want to spend the coin.
I agree. Edwards are nice especially for the money they usually go for but there are better lp type guitars - Greco 1982-1989 and tokai are far superior. The 1987 Greco egc 68 60 I had was much better than all Gibson standards I had tried by the time I got it. I had 3 Edwards and while they were really cool axes I never bonded with them. Anyways, this is my old edwards ironcross

Attachments

• A98CF4BA-FCF8-4FF9-A003-9F18492FB647.jpeg
    A98CF4BA-FCF8-4FF9-A003-9F18492FB647.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 35
  • B19638B2-CC47-48A6-8C00-A27ABECB509A.jpeg
    B19638B2-CC47-48A6-8C00-A27ABECB509A.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 37
I agree. Edwards are nice especially for the money they usually go for but there are better lp type guitars - Greco 1982-1989 and tokai are far superior. The 1987 Greco egc 68 60 I had was much better than all Gibson standards I had tried by the time I got it. I had 3 Edwards and while they were really cool axes I never bonded with them. Anyways, this is my old edwards ironcross
Also agree. Try a Mint Collection Greco (82-89) or even a Jap Bacchus. Both are much better and authentic feeling LP copies.

A buddy of mine had an Edwards LPC that he swore by, it was a killer guitar for sure. Sent me down the non-gibson rabbit hole. Man does it go deep!

Also agree. Try a Mint Collection Greco (82-89) or even a Jap Bacchus. Both are much better and authentic feeling LP copies.
Also, there's not doubt about the provenance of the pre 90 Greco's. Tokai are hard to valuate because we all know that older LS80 kicks the crap out of an new LS95. The model number being tied to the domestic price for the given yeat of manufacture. Theres alot of disputes amongst the Edwards enthusiast as to where they are made. Edwards moved construction and paint to China in 2009 and final assembly and setup in Japan. this was confirmed through there customer service. Many claim that production moved back but nothing more than Internet claim support this. I think the Edwards are solida, but prefer Grecos. They have a true long tenon and the Tokai's have shorter tenon

Do they make an LP copy with a 25.5" scale length?
That's always been my gripe with the LP. It seems like everyone wants to copy a Gibson and not make a LP for people who prefer Fender style necks. Searching for a 25.5" scale length LP has frustrated me more than any other gear search.

That's always been my gripe with the LP. It seems like everyone wants to copy a Gibson and not make a LP for people who prefer Fender style necks. Searching for a 25.5" scale length LP has frustrated me more than any other gear search.
I’ve played a few boutique LP type guitars with 25.5” scales. Some of them I liked a lot, but they didn’t really sound or feel to me much like LP’s anymore, they just looked like them visually

I guess for the 90% percent that judge guitars by looks over sound it wouldn’t matter, but if I want a LP tone they just are what they are IME. I do like though still 25.5” for my personal taste

Is there any online dealers (non-north american since it's a Copyright infringement) that sells Edwards ?

If you are into more top end, try to change the stop tailpiece for a aluminum one. Easy mod that helped my FB studio a lot.

Back