Bogner Helios, Peavey 5150, Mesa Mark V:25- riffs and clips

TheGreatGreen

Hey guys, I was messing around in the studio a little while ago just testing amps and thought some of you might find the tones interesting.

Guitar:
PRS Custom 22 w/ EMG 81 bridge

Boost:
Boss GE7 - clean boost by about 5-6 db with slight low end rolloff

Amps:
Bogner Helios 100
Mesa Mark V:25
Peavey 5150

Load Box:
Suhr RL

IR Blend:
Fractal Audio's Marshall 4x12 TV Mix (Greenbacks)
two or three exported IR's from GGD's Studio Cabs Cali Oversize Edition

Notes:
  • Each clip is double tracked. The same post EQ is applied to all tracks to fill out the sound because the guitars are the only things in the track, basically a slight and very broad mid scoop.
  • These clips aren't reamped so the playing won't be identical. But it was all tracked in the same sitting so it should mostly be the same vibe.

Bogner Helios 100

Mesa Mark V25

Peavey 5150

extra screwing around, goofy bullshit:
Mesa Mark V25 (GEQ scooped)

edit: updated clips, cut some sub lows

Last edited:
Helios wins for me. A bit dark but that's Bogner for ya. The Mark has way too much bass going on but I get this was done as standalone and not for a mix.

Ok I cut some low end from the mixes, hopefully that clears some stuff up.
Sorry guys, I've moved around my studio space recently, looks like I need to tweak the low end of my monitoring here.
Thanks for letting me know!

Last edited:
I'm a Helios fan and love mine.
That said, I still think it has a little something extra the others don't.

I'm a Helios fan and love mine.
That said, I still think it has a little something extra the others don't.

Yeah there's some extra upper harmonics the Helios has that seem to get filtered out of most other modern amps. It's such a great amp. I don't think people believe that it can sit right beside the 5150 for high gain stuff, but if you set it right, it can. Maybe they don't think it can do those sounds because it looks so much like a vintage Plexi, hah. I don't think it has the heft in the low end as a 5150 or a lot of other modern amps, but with the Helios, Bogner set out to build a Marshall that does Plexi, JCM 800, and modded JCM 800 tones so that's not really surprising. However I bet you could bring the Helios into even more modern territory by reducing the negative feedback. Whatever the case, it's an awesome amp.

One thing I was really surprised by is how well the Mark V25 holds up against the bigger amps. It certainly doesn't sound any smaller than the bigger amps here. I've never heard another small amp do that. Granted, the V25 clips were recorded at levels that don't even begin to push its power section, so yeah it couldn't sound like that at rock band levels. Buy for recording, I have to say I'm really impressed with it.

Last edited:
Could you post settings for Helios ?

It's been a couple weeks since I recorded these so I'm not totally sure but probably Hot input, 80's mode, B1, Depth and Bass at or close to max, and Presence, Mid, and Treble around 1:30 or so. Basically there was nothing terribly extreme about the settings other than cranking the low end dials.

One thing it took me a bit to figure out with the Helios is that its Mid control, like the Mid control on all Bogners and most pre-JVM series Marshalls, is really more like a high shelf control, so bumping the mids also bumps the highs and upper harmonics as well, which really helps the Helios cut through.

Last edited:
much better, i like the helios but the other ones still have a lot of low end build up, id try a dip around 150hz or so

Back