Jason Becker: Our Complete 1990 "David Lee Roth" Interview (HD Audio)

Jas O

In this rare full-length 1990 interview, Jason Becker discusses his Cacophony albums with Marty Friedman, his acclaimed "Perpetual Burn" solo album, just-completed session work for David Lee Roth’s "A Little Ain’t Enough," and the ALS diagnosis he'd received a few days earlier. Jason is, without doubt, one of the most inspiring and resilient musicians I've encountered, and I thank him for permission to post this conversation!

Jason Becker: The Complete 1990 "David Lee Roth" Interview (HD Audio)

#jasonbecker #davidleeroth #vanhalen #perpetualburn #martyfriedman #talkingguitar #jasobrecht

My Mom died from ALS in 2021, it's absolutely one of the worst things that could happen to a person or the loved ones who have to watch it happen. I'm amazed not just that Jason still lives and tries to do things after all these years and also that his family has dedicated themselves to caring for him for so long.

It's really strange to listen to that interview knowing he had had the diagnosis for 3 days.

I absolutely love Jason . I’m sure I play a lick of his every single day of my life . Especially the improv sweep section on Perpetual Burn . When he would let loose from the script the most amazing things happened

Last edited:
Ugh. ALS is an absolute nightmare. JB seems very humble in that interview. He had for a short time what we would all love to have as musicians. I will say his diagnosis was a very early onset of disease. Most of the time it’s late 40s/50s for diagnosis. 😕

Just imagine how fucking godlike a player he would be now if he hadn’t been stricken with ALS.

He was already mindblowingly good back then

i had the great fortune of attending a clinic he and marty did at Goodies, a club within walking distance from my old apartment in college.
they were sponsored by carvin guitars and they had just received ada preamps that day to try out during the clinic and the concert which i attended later that night.

here is a really funky recording i captured at the clinic of marty and jason trading off solos and a ticket stub from the clinic. jason was incredible and such a fun and kind spirit.

https://on.soundcloud.com/5YCnCo3kdR1vkdf76

i grew up on oahu and saw marty play many times while he lived there too. he gave lessons at the local guitar shop and went to my friend’s house two blocks away to give him lessons. imo jason was a cut above.

i attended the jason becker benefit a few years after seeing him at the clinic/cacophony show. i sat at the bar with george lynch and watched him, zack wylde and a bunch of others shred that night. at the end of the evening i saw jason’s friends and family help him walk down the stairs and it was really touching. he had a big smile on his face and was just so grateful. i remember contemplating how unfair life can be after that experience.

Jas, thanks not just for sharing your wealth of historical interviews and knowledge, but also for being a part of the community here.

Jas is a legend! The guitar community is grateful for all of the work you did to capture these moments in time with the most memorable players at the explosion of an electric guitar frenzy.

Back