Accept. Always amazing tone

Blood of the nations was actually 5153...
Stalingrad was recorded with a Wizard...

I prefer the later...much clearer...

All Sneap productions...
Yes, I read something from Sneap where he said Blood of the Nations was mostly 5153 and the matching cab. I believe I read the same thing about Blind Rage as well but can’t find it.

Wolf says the early stuff up thru Metal Heart was with a Dallas Rangemaster. He also had that custom Marshall with 8 power tubes designed by Baldinger (sp?).

Later on he used a Modern Classic, Framus and now a Kemper with the Wizard, EVH and Marshall profiles according to some interviews. There is a Live concert from Russia I think and he has the Wizard backstage if I remember correctly.
This is where I read the MXR +....

Wolf: It changed over the years. In the beginning we had regular non-master volume Marshalls, and those were fucking brutally loud. You couldn't be in the same building with them. And they never gave us the warm, fuzzy distortion we were looking for. So we ended up using those MXR Distortion Pluses.

mxrD+.jpg

Question: That's funny because my very next question was: the old Marshall plexi you used on the early albums (Breaker, Restless and Wild, Balls to the Wall) created a sound that was a lot more "heavy metal" than say the typical "hard rock" plexi sound of AC/DC or Jimmy Page. How did you achieve that more metal sound?

Wolf: Right. That again was born out of necessity. If you cranked the Marshall all the way to 10 or to 7 or 8, you could use the Distortion Plus' Output control to regulate the Marshall's volume so that you could bring it down to a volume you could actually play with. In essence you have a master volume effect — the amp is still sweating, but you can control the volume. The Distortion control was set not all the way up, but almost all the way up. You can still do it today. The only bad part is you get a lot of noise. We always had to turn down the volume immediately if there was a break. I say "we" — whoever the other guitarist was at the time would use the same set up. We always kind of did that as a team. That trained me real well, and I still do it to this day, but with the advent of hush units you don't need all that stuff.

This is where I read the MXR +....

Wolf: It changed over the years. In the beginning we had regular non-master volume Marshalls, and those were fucking brutally loud. You couldn't be in the same building with them. And they never gave us the warm, fuzzy distortion we were looking for. So we ended up using those MXR Distortion Pluses.

mxrD+.jpg

Question: That's funny because my very next question was: the old Marshall plexi you used on the early albums (Breaker, Restless and Wild, Balls to the Wall) created a sound that was a lot more "heavy metal" than say the typical "hard rock" plexi sound of AC/DC or Jimmy Page. How did you achieve that more metal sound?

Wolf: Right. That again was born out of necessity. If you cranked the Marshall all the way to 10 or to 7 or 8, you could use the Distortion Plus' Output control to regulate the Marshall's volume so that you could bring it down to a volume you could actually play with. In essence you have a master volume effect — the amp is still sweating, but you can control the volume. The Distortion control was set not all the way up, but almost all the way up. You can still do it today. The only bad part is you get a lot of noise. We always had to turn down the volume immediately if there was a break. I say "we" — whoever the other guitarist was at the time would use the same set up. We always kind of did that as a team. That trained me real well, and I still do it to this day, but with the advent of hush units you don't need all that stuff.
I always thought the early stuff was Distortion + too, till I read some online interviews last nite. He never mentioned the MXR. The first few do sound like the Mxr though…before RAW the tones were pretty poor imo.
Could have been recording budget maybe, but from RAW up thru Russian Roulette sounds great.
The later stuff with the new singer, I try to keep believing it doesn’t exist. Ugh….

I always thought the early stuff was Distortion + too, till I read some online interviews last nite. He never mentioned the MXR. The first few do sound like the Mxr though…before RAW the tones were pretty poor imo.
Could have been recording budget maybe, but from RAW up thru Russian Roulette sounds great.
The later stuff with the new singer, I try to keep believing it doesn’t exist. Ugh….
I've never tried a Dist +...might have to...but the RM is unobtanium. Stupid expensive.

Always been a big fan. Wolf’s in my top 5.

Last time I saw them, Blood of the Nations tour, he had a Wizard and beneath it a 5153. In a rack, stage left. I could see both amps.

I've never tried a Dist +...might have to...but the RM is unobtanium. Stupid expensive.
I have had a couple Dist +’s…Script one eons ago that was pretty good and now one that is block letter just before the led vesion. It is ok, the dod yjm (250) os alittle better. Rarely use the mxr.
I bet that RM is stupid money now since so many used them back in the day. Never messed with one.

that marshall with 8 power tubes was on ebay in the late 2000's. I want to say it was a 2210 channel switcher, but i can't be for sure. it had been modded with 2 PT's and 4 more power tubes making it stereo. it had the accept logo sprayed on in white. I can't remember what else was done with it if anything.

I have had a couple Dist +’s…Script one eons ago that was pretty good and now one that is block letter just before the led vesion. It is ok, the dod yjm (250) os alittle better. Rarely use the mxr.
I bet that RM is stupid money now since so many used them back in the day. Never messed with one.
The DOD yjm was actually the very first overdrive or boost pedal I had ever gotten and got me into using boosts. Was only $30 when I got it. I liked it, but preferred other boosts I got later. Haven’t tried any Dist +‘s yet

I’m lucky to have an RM and would put it in the same league as my Klon in terms of quality of tone/3D sound, but too specific of a sound to use all the time. I also have a Coppersound Broadway that’s been the only RM type pedal now that I’ve liked, but I use it more for its darker, growly modes that the real RM doesn’t do. It’s one of the very few non-vintage pedals IME with actually good quality tone without that filtered/plastic-y garbage tone in the other ~99% of recent made pedals

Saw them live around 2011-ish in a small venue in Portland, he was playing Wizards then and it was fucking massive sounding.

Not the biggest fan of the new vocalist but there are similarities for sure but I still prefer Udo
Ya Udo is up there with Bruce Dickenson and Dio :ROFLMAO:
Seriously I would think they could find a good singer, likely needed someone who could try and capture the Udo thing. What happened to him??

Another fan of accept here. Wolf's playing and tone are huge influences. I love the tone on Staying A Life, the live album from japan. it has KERRANG!!!

Thanks for posting this! I didn't know about that one but it sounds great for a live album... Just bought a copy!(y)

Ya Udo is up there with Bruce Dickenson and Dio :ROFLMAO:
Seriously I would think they could find a good singer, likely needed someone who could try and capture the Udo thing. What happened to him??
udo is unique. he does sound weird at first, but i'm used to it, and it fits accept. it prepared me for the sheiking black metal vocals that i'd eventually get into. He has his own band now, in a similar vein, called U.D.O, and they have a ton of records out too. Hes still out there touring. Mostly in Europe. Both bands have pretty decent followings in eastern europe.

Back