Revv amps?

Rex Rocker

Are they any good? I see they have a lot of YouTube presence. But is it just marketing and hype?

I like the Revv red channel in my Helix... but it's just a Helix.

So what are they like? I'm particularly interested in the G20. I just wished it was based on the red channel rather the purple.

The purple kinda sounds to me like a tamer 5150 and the red kinda like a tamer Rectifier. Is my perception correct?

Thanks!

Are they any good? I see they have a lot of YouTube presence. But is it just marketing and hype?

I like the Revv red channel in my Helix... but it's just a Helix.

So what are they like? I'm particularly interested in the G20. I just wished it was based on the red channel rather the purple.

The purple kinda sounds to me like a tamer 5150 and the red kinda like a tamer Rectifier. Is my perception correct?

Thanks!
Imagine the earlier Friedman amps, dark/smooth like a recorded tone but even more so with the Revv stuff....in a modern type tone vs the Friedman Marshall tone. Less dynamics too. This is from a previous Revv owner.

3 words: Bland, boring & generic. I’ll wait for the others who’ve also tried them in person to say the same thing…
That was my impression as well. Ive only tried the little G20 through a REVV 2x12 and was really underwhelmed. The volume balance between the clean and dirty channels was really bad too. When I got the clean up to a useable volume and then switched to the dirty the jump in volume was really impractical. Maybe there was something wrong with the one I tried. It was used, but overall, there was nothing that wowed me.

Imagine the earlier Friedman amps, dark/smooth like a recorded tone but even more so with the Revv stuff....in a modern type tone vs the Friedman Marshall tone. Less dynamics too. This is from a previous Revv owner.
I found the more recent Friedman’s I tried (before 2020 fwiw though) to still be pretty bland & smooth sounding to me honestly, but less dark I agree. I’m guessing his ears probably just don’t like more raw or gritty sounds. I don’t recall the Revv’s being overly dark, but to me synthetic sounding with nothing too impressive or unique going on in sound

On a side note, based on clips, it seems like these more recent Friedman’s get the brightness many want, but still sound equally smooth & bland/polite to me. I didn’t really mind the dark sound (I’m a big recto fan after all), but just wanted more rawness & grit/aggression. It’s like the issues I have soundwise still aren’t really being addressed, but just my opinion. Imo the eq isn’t as much the issue, but more so the texture of the notes or lack there of in some ways

Last edited:
Well, there is an overwhelming negative perception of them, LOL.

I was just interested because they're semi-local, but I tend to like AGGRESSIVE amps like a Recto.

Well, there is an overwhelming negative perception of them, LOL.

I was just interested because they're semi-local, but I tend to like AGGRESSIVE amps like a Recto.
Maybe you might like the Bad Lander’s if you want something modern leaning. I find mine to be pretty ripping & aggressive (needs adequate volume though) and more modern sounding to me than other Recto’s. Takes boosts also better than most amps I’ve got, particularly with my Fortin TS808

They have the G20 and the D20 at the local store, but I've never plugged into them. Not really interested in the D20 at all, and honestly, I'd be more interested on the G20 if it had the red channel.

But I still wouldn't think the G20 would have the sound of the big iron Generator, would it?

Last edited:
They sound awesome in Jeff Schroeder's rig. (Smashing Pumpkins)

image.jpg

Looks like Ken Susi as well... but that tone doesn't sound that impressive, TBH. His EVH video sounded better to me.

Back