Which is the right attenuator

What's a good unit for using during a live situation to send a tube amp sound to FOH but also plug into cab for stage volume ?

I've been researching the torpedo captor x but would like to keep options open.

Thanks

Never encountered a devastating incident like the Wizard but It screwed up my Recto, Nitro, and Rockerverb. Made oscillating noises and boom would blow out a fuse and with the RV and Recto blew out a pre tube as well. Thank god no severe damage. The unit is flawed. Boss won’t answer. Good luck to everyone else. My word isn’t gospel. Just a warning to anyone else.
Someone here also had issues using the TAE with a Suhr SL68. If there's any issue with a possible impedance mismatch, that's a recipe for fried Transformers...no thanks.

One option is, if you have a NMV amp and are going to try to boost it for more gain, you can use a simple distortion pedal in the last spot before the amps input...the volume on the pedal allows you to crank the amp to the sweet spot then turn down the pedal level or vol for attenuation. I just picked up a Joyo Uzi pedal (BE OD clone) and it works better than the Fryette PS I had...it literally turns my NMV 72 Marshall into an instant MV modded Marshall. Unity gain/volume on the pedal is 7-8..so lots of range to turn down to low vol playing.
But this only works if you are looking for more gain as well as attenuation.

One option is, if you have a NMV amp and are going to try to boost it for more gain, you can use a simple distortion pedal in the last spot before the amps input...the volume on the pedal allows you to crank the amp to the sweet spot then turn down the pedal level or vol for attenuation. I just picked up a Joyo Uzi pedal (BE OD clone) and it works better than the Fryette PS I had...it literally turns my NMV 72 Marshall into an instant MV modded Marshall. Unity gain/volume on the pedal is 7-8..so lots of range to turn down to low vol playing.
But this only works if you are looking for more gain as well as attenuation.
If you have the amp turned up to its sweet spot, but turning down the output of the pedal going to the input of the amp, the amp is not going to be driven hard…only that last distortion pedal’s input. In this scenario, if there isn’t volume blasting out of the speakers, the amp isn’t working hard, regardless where the amp volume is set.

With my Wizard alot of times I will run a patch cord between the fx loop send and return. This lets me turn up the preamp to it’s sweet spot then control the overall volume with the return level. This doesn’t push the power section harder at all. Using the Hotplate after the amp allows me to do that. Maybe that is what you were thinking?

If you have the amp turned up to its sweet spot, but turning down the output of the pedal going to the input of the amp, the amp is not going to be driven hard…only that last distortion pedal’s input. In this scenario, if there isn’t volume blasting out of the speakers, the amp isn’t working hard, regardless where the amp volume is set.

With my Wizard alot of times I will run a patch cord between the fx loop send and return. This lets me turn up the preamp to it’s sweet spot then control the overall volume with the return level. This doesn’t push the power section harder at all. Using the Hotplate after the amp allows me to do that. Maybe that is what you were thinking?
I do mean a pedal.... Using a distortion pedal last right before the amp, does attenuate the signal Ala a MV. Believe me, the amps volume is set to a point where I get power tube compression. Then, when I kick on the Uzi pedal, If the volume on the pedal is at 7,8 the output is the same just adds gain like the pedal should. This is the unity gain/volume point. But, by lowering the volume knob on the pedal it attenuates the overall volume, down to very quiet levels. But, the amp still appears to be working just as hard since I can still tell the power tube compression is still there. There's always additional 'hair' when you get 34s cooking, and I still hear that while I lower the volume...it would be pretty easy to tell if the hair disappeared. This effect is what Wolf Hoffman was referring to in that Accept thread, where I quoted him....

Question: That's funny because my very next question was: the old Marshall plexi you used on the early albums (Breaker, Restless and Wild, Balls to the Wall) created a sound that was a lot more "heavy metal" than say the typical "hard rock" plexi sound of AC/DC or Jimmy Page. How did you achieve that more metal sound?

Wolf: Right. That again was born out of necessity. If you cranked the Marshall all the way to 10 or to 7 or 8, you could use the Distortion Plus' Output control to regulate the Marshall's volume so that you could bring it down to a volume you could actually play with. In essence you have a master volume effect — the amp is still sweating, but you can control the volume. The Distortion control was set not all the way up, but almost all the way up. You can still do it today. The only bad part is you get a lot of noise. We always had to turn down the volume immediately if there was a break. I say "we" — whoever the other guitarist was at the time would use the same set up. We always kind of did that as a team. That trained me real well, and I still do it to this day, but with the advent of hush units you don't need all that stuff.

This 45$ Joyo Uzi does the same thing, I'm still double boosting with the OD1X but adding the Uzi has allowed a super thick saturated tone at really low volumes.

I would actually agree with this however it’s a flawed unit and blows up certain amps on the market due to the reactive load section that allows you to choose your resonance and presence z input. This has led to impedance mismatches that the end user does in faith of the unit and doesn’t play well with some amps. Sounds great otherwise.

Fryette power load is the best attenuator out there in my experience. Smooth volume taper. No notched attenuation. Allows for you to add lows and highs that may be missing in aaggressive attenuation situations. Etc etc.

Ox box is great too but sucks ass for high gain. If you don’t play metal or use high gain for anything else, this box might just be your ticket.
TAE has been seemingly a problem for some but I ran most all of my amps through it and none exploded. Some sound better with it that others just as the OX and PS100 do.

I do mean a pedal.... Using a distortion pedal last right before the amp, does attenuate the signal Ala a MV. Believe me, the amps volume is set to a point where I get power tube compression. Then, when I kick on the Uzi pedal, If the volume on the pedal is at 7,8 the output is the same just adds gain like the pedal should. This is the unity gain/volume point. But, by lowering the volume knob on the pedal it attenuates the overall volume, down to very quiet levels. But, the amp still appears to be working just as hard since I can still tell the power tube compression is still there. There's always additional 'hair' when you get 34s cooking, and I still hear that while I lower the volume...it would be pretty easy to tell if the hair disappeared. This effect is what Wolf Hoffman was referring to in that Accept thread, where I quoted him....

Question: That's funny because my very next question was: the old Marshall plexi you used on the early albums (Breaker, Restless and Wild, Balls to the Wall) created a sound that was a lot more "heavy metal" than say the typical "hard rock" plexi sound of AC/DC or Jimmy Page. How did you achieve that more metal sound?

Wolf: Right. That again was born out of necessity. If you cranked the Marshall all the way to 10 or to 7 or 8, you could use the Distortion Plus' Output control to regulate the Marshall's volume so that you could bring it down to a volume you could actually play with. In essence you have a master volume effect — the amp is still sweating, but you can control the volume. The Distortion control was set not all the way up, but almost all the way up. You can still do it today. The only bad part is you get a lot of noise. We always had to turn down the volume immediately if there was a break. I say "we" — whoever the other guitarist was at the time would use the same set up. We always kind of did that as a team. That trained me real well, and I still do it to this day, but with the advent of hush units you don't need all that stuff.

This 45$ Joyo Uzi does the same thing, I'm still double boosting with the OD1X but adding the Uzi has allowed a super thick saturated tone at really low volumes.
As soon as you turn the last pedal’s output down there is nothing driving the input of the amp….so the power section cannot be driven either.

What's a good unit for using during a live situation to send a tube amp sound to FOH but also plug into cab for stage volume ?

I've been researching the torpedo captor x but would like to keep options open.

Thanks
If you don't need a load (b/c you're plugging into a cab), then any IR loader would do. Preferably something that takes speaker level with an XLR out (Cab M, NUX Solid Studio, Blubox, etc.).

As soon as you turn the last pedal’s output down there is nothing driving the input of the amp….so the power section cannot be driven either.
So then, is Wolf Hoffman wrong in his explanation of how he pushed his plexi? Because, how he explains it, is exactly how I'm doing it here. And, as far as 'extra compression' goes, it sounds no more compressed than a boosted 2203.
This way of 'attenuation' is only for those who look to add gain to a NMV Marshall, and to be able to play it at lower volumes. One would think that, when I turned the vol on the pedal down, that the gain would also lower. But it doesn't.
If my volumes are up high enough on the amp, isn't the power section still being pushed by the higher settings? I understand that if the pedal vol is lower, the pedal isn't pushing the amp additionally.

Built one myself based on the schematics you can find in this thread: https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/simple-attenuators-design-and-testing.98285/page-162. I think it was the M3 model. It sounds very good.

I also have the WAZA TAE and not only it's a powerful "attenuator" ( it's a loadbox connected to a solid state poweramp ) but I also use it as a dedicated power amp. Didn't break any of my amps yet but I use Resonance/Presence reactive settings on LOW.

The DIY reactive attenuator was pretty easy to build and cheap enough. ~$100. My only regret is I didn't make a bigger one, as this one will get hot with even 50W. Will build the M4 type in the future.

View attachment 167995
He's right you know.

q5rF3aa.jpg

Back