Setup/gear options for guitar practice with captor X + headphones

doutor_ice

Hello,
I have recently bought a captor X, and one of my uses will be to be able to practice at night with headphones. Straight from the captor X headphones output works great, but I'm looking to practice over mp3 or spotify/YouTube tracks.
What options do you suggest? I would rather use a small interface like a focusrite scarlett, but I'm not sure it would work for what I want.
Using such an interface, how can I get on my headphones the mix from the captor output XLRs and computer sound? Connect the PC soundboard output to the interface input?
Do I need to do this on a DAW?

I have a friend that manages this by using a mixer, but I was looking for a much smaller (and cheaper) solution.
Look forward for your suggestions. Thanks in advance

My Audio Interface has a separate mixer app that you use when not running the DAW/mixer recording application. I think most AIs come with that. The two ouputs of the CaptorX go into the AI. The AI also connects to the PC via USB. This routes your PC audio through the AI so you can listen to PC audio.
On the PC I run YouTube backing tracks that show on the AI mixer app as a stereo input. I mix that with the two CaptorX inputs and then listen via headphones connected to the AI or Monitor speakers connected to the AI.
So with this I play live to backing tracks with the AI mixer app without running the DAW app for recording.
The AI is the physical mixer using the AI mixer app on the PC.

CaptorX out Left > In-1 AI
CaptorX out Rght > In-2 AI

PC USB > USB AI

AI > Headphones
AI > out Left > Left speaker
AI > out Rght > Right speaker

Good morning @doutor_ice

I hope all is well and thank you for reaching out. Ross from Two notes here. Looking at your needs, a Focusrite Scarlett (3rd Gen) should meet your needs as it features a direct monitoring control, letting you monitor the USB Signal (backing tracks) and your Input Signal (Captor X) simultaneously. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with today.

Kind regards,

Ross

Thank you very much @RossJohnDavies and @bmanzer for your quick replies.
I will probably go for a scarlett 2i2 AI.

Just another doubt: the USB connection has a bidireccional capability? For example, to be listening and playing over an mp3 (signal from PC to headphones) but also recording the guitar signal to a DAW (signal from AI to PC)?

Thank you once again.

Hi @doutor_ice

Thanks so much for getting back to us and no problem at all. Audio interfaces can support Bi-Directional Data Transfer for sure - if you think about a recording scenario, to capture a take effectively you would need to hear your mix and your Audio Interface input signal simultaneously. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help to clarify for you today - we're always happy to help!

Kind regards,

Ross

Back