74’ Marshall Jose Arredondo modded clip

Picked up my second Arredondo Marshall a few weeks ago. This one is a 74’ Super Bass. Very similar to the 71’ Super Lead that I already have. Same mods. Except the Super Bass doesn’t have a loop. I absolutely love these old Jose’s.

What’s interesting about this amp is that everywhere Marshall would typically put a 100k resistor, it has 150k instead. I took it over to Dave Friedman’s. He said it was common to see that occasionally. If they ran out of 100’s they just used 150’s. So the plates, v2b cathode, NFB etc.. is all 150k. This amp sounds gainier and more bottom end than my 71’. They definitely both have their own character.

Both of my Jose’s have the push pull gain pot for extra stage on the back. Some of them have it in front in one of the input jack holes. Presence is changed to the MV and presence is on back. No diodes in either of my amps. I know of 4 other Jose’s in LA and none of them have diodes either.

Here’s some photos of the 74’ and also with the 71’ on top. Clip also attached. Straight into amp zero fx. SM57 and g12h30 anniversary.

MRvMDnNl.jpeg

zYfLPsZl.jpeg

elfWYCgl.jpeg

59D3gh0l.jpeg

Jose might be a legend and this amp sounds great but this just solidifies the fact that Redplated's amps and mods sound better to me.

He passed in 97 hardly a few years ago. His son is a mechanic. He doesnt do amps
I must have been thinking of Paul Rivera .
When I took in a Carvin X-100 B for modification at Jose's shop, his son ( Omar ) was in the shop lending a hand and wrote the Invoice for the repairs .

The only one who continued Jose's work was Mark Cameron. He finished like 10-15 partially started or half completed amps. They were sold off by the store that bought all of the equipment from Joe's store as original Jose mods. Keep in mind Jose wasn't near at the legend status as portrayed today. Those faux Jose amps were sold dirt cheap.

The only one who continued Jose's work was Mark Cameron. He finished like 10-15 partially started or half completed amps. They were sold off by the store that bought all of the equipment from Joe's store as original Jose mods. Keep in mind Jose wasn't near at the legend status as portrayed today. Those faux Jose amps were sold dirt cheap.

Wait wait wait ......

Is m@rk c@meron Jose's estranged son? Can you imagine that shit ! The plot thickens lol =)

Allegedly some of the amps were returned to stock and sold that way. Back then they weren't as desirable as they are now.

Around 10 years ago I bought a 1980 JMP from a guy in Orange County. I forget his name but he sells a TON of gear out of his house and had something to do with the Jose amps aftermath. He had a Super Lead there with an AARCO sticker on the back panel. I immediately switched gears to that amp. However, it had been totally gutted and returned to stock specs. Empty holes in back panel etc...

I still own that Carvin X-100 B that Jose Arredondo modified.

The silver sticker that he put on the Chasey of the amp has long fallen off .

Congrats on the amp, Jeremy.
I like this one even better than your first one, which was already great!
I've seen one and know of another Marshall, both "modded" by Jose, that were bought as returned to original, but with the AARCO sticker still on the the back, were modded by someone else to replicate a Jose mod.
The person who pointed me out to the one I've seen said he has seen a few of these fake Jose amps.
With the prices they are going for, no wonder why people are faking them for profit.

Back