Twin Tracker

cscotto

Hi,
I have a couple of questions about the Twin Tracker feature. The manual is a bit confusing of the functionality. First, the manual says the Twin Tracker automatically routes the signal from the right channel to the left channel, which means you get the same cab sim processing on both D.I. outputs. Stereo mode also gives you the same the same processed on both D.I. outputs. Second, to take full advantage of the Twin Tracker feature, you have to route each D.I. output to separate channels on your audio interface and hard pan each left and right on mono tracks in your DAW. When you do this and engage the Twin Tracker, the balance knob will, obviously, let you set the balance between the left and right channels. The Thickness knob also has it greatest affect when the channels are hard panned left and right because the delay it introduces is most noticeable. Stereo mode does not give you the individual control over the right and left channels, but I am assuming that to get the most out of the stereo mode, you should send each D.I output to separate mono channels that are hard panned left and right. If you send each D.I to mono channels panned center, the affect is not nearly as big as when they are hard panned to the left and right.

I am just trying to understand the intent behind each mode and understand the best way to use them to get the biggest sound possible.

Update: I also tried running the two D.I. outputs to a single stereo track in Logic. Without the Twin Tracker, the track, of course, sounds like a single mono track panned to the center. The Twin Tracker is effective at making the single track sound like separate tracks panned left and right.I think I still prefer sending each D.I. to separate tracks panned hard left and right and then engaging the Twin Tracker. For me, the missing piece of information is that if you are going to run each D.I output to separate tracks, then you need to pan them hard left and right. If you run both D.I. outputs to a single stereo track, then you just need to engage the Twin Tracker to get the effect. Since you don't mention anything about panning in the manual, it seems like the intention with the Twin Tracker was to run both D.I. outputs to a stereo track.

Thanks.

Hello

Here is what is written in the owner's manual:
"Twin Tracker is an automatic double tracker. Your mono amp sound is routed to the left output and Twin Tracker creates another track (a virtual guitarist) on the right channel in real-time. The slight differences in timing and attack contribute to a beefed-up tone and massive sound. "

Your tube amp signal is sent to the left XLR output going through cabinet simulation, eq, enhancer and reverb.

With the twin tracker ON, the right XLR output takes the cabinet simulation signal (with enhancer and eq) and adds the twin tracker effect. The Twin tracker can only be heard on the right output. The Balance setting sets the level of the signal going out of the right XLR output. The Tightness sets the delay of the signal.

Indeed to take full advantage of the Stereo of the Captor X, you need to connect each XLR to a different channel on the mixing desk. Adn pan one channel to the left, the other to the right.If you do not pan to the left and right and keep everything at the center, your sound will be bad. It will be out of phase - no presence, no medium, like going through a flanger but a fixed flanger.

Stereo tracks in DAWs, automatically set one channel hard left and the other hard right.You connect the Captor X to 2 of your interface's inputs and record to a stereo track. If you have no stereo effects enabled in the Captor X it will sound mono. If you activate the Twin tracker it will go stereo straight away. If you do not activate the Twin Tracker but activate the reverb and set the width to 100% it will sound stereo too. If the width of the reverb is set to a low level, the stereo will not be very present. If the reverb and the Twin Tracker is off, there is no stereo.

I have a problem that sometimes my twin tracker goes out of sync with the original (left) output, usually it is delayed (really long and annoying). The tightness is 0 in the app. I record using bitwig having two separate outputs connected via usb to my MacBook. I’m macOS I created an aggregate device where I map one device to the left and one to the right. Is this how it is supposed to be done? If so, where is the drift for the twin tracker coming from?

Good afternoon @vityafx

I hope all is well and thanks for getting back to me. It sounds like you may have latency between the two interfaces which can happen some times. For best results we would suggest getting a single interface with two line inputs. Alternatively, if you can check the latency settings for both devices in your aggregation settings and make sure these are the same, that should help matters.

Kind regards,

Ross

Thank you! Can you, perhaps, suggest an example of an interface that would work best with the twin tracker?

Hi @vityafx

Thank you for getting back to me. Sure thing - I am happy to help! The SSL 2 or Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 would work well for your needs.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with today.

Kind regards,

Ross

Thank you very much for your response! Would something less expensive work like NI Komplete or Audiëntie EVO 4?

Back