Top 5 "Thrash" albums, these on your list?

Kapo_Polenton

1. Megadeth RIP. * Easily tops for me. Menza and Friedman forget about it
2. Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
3. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
4. Annihilator - Never Neverland * won't be on many people's lists but the riffing on this one is insane
5. Metallica - And Justice for all. Crowd pleaser but the riffs and ferocity on this one just do it for me. Blackened, Dyer's Eve etc.

6. * Extra Credit* - ANYTHING Tim Henson has done.

I'm guessing most of you guys will have one of these in your top 5. Interested what you think of these... and spot 6!

1. Megadeth RIP. * Easily tops for me. Menza and Friedman forget about it
2. Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
3. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
4. Annihilator - Never Neverland * won't be on many people's lists but the riffing on this one is insane
5. Metallica - And Justice for all. Crowd pleaser but the riffs and ferocity on this one just do it for me. Blackened, Dyer's Eve etc.

6. * Extra Credit* - ANYTHING Tim Henson has done.

I'm guessing most of you guys will have one of these in your top 5. Interested what you think of these... and spot 6!
None of those are on my list.

To be fair, I’ll pick only one by each artist. Multiples by Metallica would be a realistic option but for representing the genre evenly, just one by each.

Reign in Blood - Slayer (the most energetic sounding release by anyone, from any genre)
Rust in Peace - Megadeth (technical yet still so raw)
Ride the Lightning - MEtallica, NOT ‘tallica (the blueprint of mature thrash songwriting)
Years of Decay - Overkill (lots of subtle layered guitar parts throughout, more than just single note harmonies)
The Legacy - Testament (super catchy riffs and vocal melodies)

1. Overkill - The Years of Decay (the album that opened my ears to the greatness of thrash)
2. Sepultura - Arise
3. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
4. Metallica - And Justice for All
5. Believer - Sanity Obscure

Honorable mentions:
Horrorscope – Overkill
W.F.O. – Overkill
Seasons in the Abyss – Slayer
South of Heaven - Slayer
Act III – Death Angel
Coma of Souls – Kreator
Mental Vortex – Coroner
Handle with Care – Nuclear Assault
No Place for Disgrace – Flotsam & Jetsam

Last edited:
Exodus - Fabulous Disaster
Exodus - Impact Is Imminent
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
Slayer Reign in Blood
Overkill - Horrorscope

Lots of honorable mentions.. Death Angel, Act III, Testament, First Strike Still Deadly, (their absolute best songs re-recorded), Seputura Beneath The Remains, (should be in the top 5).

Exodus - Fabulous Disaster
Exodus - Impact Is Imminent
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
Slayer Reign in Blood
Overkill - Horrorscope

Lots of honorable mentions.. Death Angel, Act III, Testament, First Strike Still Deadly, (their absolute best songs re-recorded), Seputura Beneath The Remains, (should be in the top 5).
Warms my heart to see Forbidden and Death Angel in there. I agree with many of these posts, I would also add Corrosion of Conformity's Blind album.

Way too many for me to narrow it to 5...Soooo many great thrash albums. All those mentioned are no doubt epic though.

^^^Same here, MetalHeadMike ...

I still love Spreading The Disease, Hell Awaits, Reign - all the old Slayer up to and including Seasons - Testament's first three, Metallica up to and including ...And Justice, How Will I Laugh Tomorrow...I love all the Exodus stuff but really dig the newer stuff with Dukes which a lot of people don't dig him as a vocalist but he fits the band really well, in my opinion - especially live. Not a big fan of much of the newer thrash but Detherous is a great, great newer band - major Demolition Hammer worship going on but they rip.

A few favorites not mentioned I listen to quite often:

Blessed Death - Destined For Extinction (old Metal Militia NJ band)
Detherous - Unrelenting Malevolence
Morbid Saint - Spectrum Of Death
Razor - Shotgun Justice
Hellbringer - Awakened From The Abyss

^^^Same here, MetalHeadMike ...

I still love Spreading The Disease, Hell Awaits, Reign - all the old Slayer up to and including Seasons - Testament's first three, Metallica up to and including ...And Justice, How Will I Laugh Tomorrow...I love all the Exodus stuff but really dig the newer stuff with Dukes which a lot of people don't dig him as a vocalist but he fits the band really well, in my opinion - especially live. Not a big fan of much of the newer thrash but Detherous is a great, great newer band - major Demolition Hammer worship going on but they rip.

A few favorites not mentioned I listen to quite often:

Blessed Death - Destined For Extinction (old Metal Militia NJ band)
Detherous - Unrelenting Malevolence
Morbid Saint - Spectrum Of Death
Razor - Shotgun Justice
Hellbringer - Awakened From The Abyss
Some good stuff in there. I've played a show with Morbid Saint. Great dudes. I was at a festival they were at. They played right before Hatchet. All I could think during their set was " I'm glad we aren't following these guys". Razor! And the Knights Of Old Bridge!

1. Metallica - master of puppets
2. Megadeth - peace sell... but who's buying?
3. Slayer - reign in blood
4. Megadeth - rust in peace
5. Lamb Of God - as the palaces burn

Yes, I like Peace Sells more than Rust In Peace. You can't really top "The conjuring" "Good Mourning... Black Friday" and "Wake Up Dead" as far as catchy menacing riffs go. Plus there's really only one filler track on the album, the "I ain't Superstitious cover", "Bad Omen" is not bad. Rust In Peace has a lot of songs I just don't dig, like "Lucretia" (too happy sounding), "Dawn Patrol", "Poison Was The Cure" 'Five Magics". Peace Sells is just a WAY more evil sounding record to me and it has a better, more organic sounding production to my ears... fatter rhythm tone, fatter drum sound, and then there's Chris Poland's totally unique sounding lead work. Marty's great, but I don't think he sounds as unique as Chris does.

I got this...
Exodus Another lesson in violence live, the absolute finest live album ever recorded. Do yourself a favor and put it on asafp...
Megadeth Peace sells but who's buying
Coronor Mental Vortex
Death Leprosy
Testament The Gathering

Last edited:
Back