ToneNerd pickups "The PSykes" (Long Review)

phil b

I was looking for a hotter pup and Dimarzio is usually my go to brand. Since one of our own forum members are actually producing pups and after listening to the demo I decided to order "The PSykes" pup from ToneNerd pickups. This pup is based off of a Gibby Dirty Fingers. My first watch of the demo I wasnt sure if I was digging the top end on the PSykes compared to the original, but after a proper listen with some good phones instead of garbage laptop speakers, the top end sounded much better and since these actually had no squeal like the originals, I had to try them....

I have had the original Gibby pups in an Explorer that I owned a million years ago. Didnt own it long but I remember I liked the pups but just way to noisy. Depending on what the needs are I generally like a more vintage output pup, but years ago one of my favorites was an X2N Power Plus, as well as the Dimarzio SD. I wanted something with a hot output and these definitely delivered. When I ordered from Scott, he seemed to really want to make sure I knew what I was getting and asked quite a few questions on my playing style, etc,. Its a really hot pup and I guess maybe some guys dont realize what they are getting. Either or, it was cool to have the guy making your pups actually interested in making sure its the right fit for what you are looking for.

I put these in an EPI 61 SG that is my workhorse guitar. It plays great, light as hell and I dont care if it gets dinged, dropped, or bounced around. The stock pups werent THAT bad but they werent good enough to keep either. After installing the new pups, I gotta say these really blew me away. Some pups that are really hot lose articulation, dont clean up well and are overly compressed to shit. When I was a kid with my X2N none of that stuff mattered as long it had "massive gain, man!" LOL,
These have a nice bite to them and sure they are a bit compressed, but not ridiculously and when rolled back they actually clean up very nicely. Sometimes with a hotter pup when you roll off the volume they seem to really thin out and that isnt the case here, which is a suprise!

Last thing to point out is noise. For such a high output pup the noise floor was actually very good with tons of gain. Not once did I have squeal issues. Some hot pups also seem to have a strange top end, which is noise from the pup underneath high gain, and it sounds horrible. The PSykes had none of that. Overall it was absolutely one of the best high output pups I've used. Knowing what I was getting from a high output pup I really dont have anything negative to say. Pups were packaged professionally and boxed securely. Pro setup for sure. Hope this helps anyone who might be on the fence about ToneNerd pups or maybe keep the company in mind when ya need new pups!

DISCLAIMER---- This is my honest review of these pups. Its awesome to see guys who are first starting out and sometimes go on to be huge. Andy Barta was a friend of mine who used to fix my amps and then went on to start Tech21. I am brutally honest when reviewing things and will not sugar coat anything. Like I told Momomyth, if it sucks I will tell it and if its great I will tell it. Just because your a nice guy doesnt mean your product is good! I would only EXPECT the same from anyone else if I had a product to sell. I spend my money like anyone else and dont/wont take discounts or freebees. If it sucks it sucks. Of course this is all my own opinion, but over 40 years playing, Mesa endorsed (long ago) and countless hrs of tone chasing I do "somewhat" know what I am talking about.... I think.

I was looking for a hotter pup and Dimarzio is usually my go to brand. Since one of our own forum members are actually producing pups and after listening to the demo I decided to order "The PSykes" pup from ToneNerd pickups. This pup is based off of a Gibby Dirty Fingers. My first watch of the demo I wasnt sure if I was digging the top end on the PSykes compared to the original, but after a proper listen with some good phones instead of garbage laptop speakers, the top end sounded much better and since these actually had no squeal like the originals, I had to try them....

I have had the original Gibby pups in an Explorer that I owned a million years ago. Didnt own it long but I remember I liked the pups but just way to noisy. Depending on what the needs are I generally like a more vintage output pup, but years ago one of my favorites was an X2N Power Plus, as well as the Dimarzio SD. I wanted something with a hot output and these definitely delivered. When I ordered from Scott, he seemed to really want to make sure I knew what I was getting and asked quite a few questions on my playing style, etc,. Its a really hot pup and I guess maybe some guys dont realize what they are getting. Either or, it was cool to have the guy making your pups actually interested in making sure its the right fit for what you are looking for.

I put these in an EPI 61 SG that is my workhorse guitar. It plays great, light as hell and I dont care if it gets dinged, dropped, or bounced around. The stock pups werent THAT bad but they werent good enough to keep either. After installing the new pups, I gotta say these really blew me away. Some pups that are really hot lose articulation, dont clean up well and are overly compressed to shit. When I was a kid with my X2N none of that stuff mattered as long it had "massive gain, man!" LOL,
These have a nice bite to them and sure they are a bit compressed, but not ridiculously and when rolled back they actually clean up very nicely. Sometimes with a hotter pup when you roll off the volume they seem to really thin out and that isnt the case here, which is a suprise!

Last thing to point out is noise. For such a high output pup the noise floor was actually very good with tons of gain. Not once did I have squeal issues. Some hot pups also seem to have a strange top end, which is noise from the pup underneath high gain, and it sounds horrible. The PSykes had none of that. Overall it was absolutely one of the best high output pups I've used. Knowing what I was getting from a high output pup I really dont have anything negative to say. Pups were packaged professionally and boxed securely. Pro setup for sure. Hope this helps anyone who might be on the fence about ToneNerd pups or maybe keep the company in mind when ya need new pups!

DISCLAIMER---- This is my honest review of these pups. Its awesome to see guys who are first starting out and sometimes go on to be huge. Andy Barta was a friend of mine who used to fix my amps and then went on to start Tech21. I am brutally honest when reviewing things and will not sugar coat anything. Like I told Momomyth, if it sucks I will tell it and if its great I will tell it. Just because your a nice guy doesnt mean your product is good! I would only EXPECT the same from anyone else if I had a product to sell. I spend my money like anyone else and dont/wont take discounts or freebees. If it sucks it sucks. Of course this is all my own opinion, but over 40 years playing, Mesa endorsed (long ago) and countless hrs of tone chasing I do "somewhat" know what I am talking about.... I think.
Great review, spot on. I have the Psyches in two of my USA Charvels now.
All of Scott’s winds are fan freakingtastic.

Very cool but I'm curious about the upcoming Gazzarris, Starwood, Troubadour and Rainbow Bar/Grill pickup models.

Great review and spot on. Scott did a great job with his version of the DF, and all of his other offerings for that matter.
I’ve got the Psykes in two guitars and Shaw DF’s in two guitars, and he probably got as close as anybody possibly could with modern day materials. His aren’t quite as raw as the originals, but on the plus side they’re potted, so they’re very quiet, unlike DF’s that squeal like a bitch under high gain.
TN has surpassed MCP as my favorite pickup builder.

Great review! I have already had a few people try to buy my Psykes off of me. I told them to go order one hahaha. My Sunset Strip is never leaving my Jackson, and I love the Roxy too. I am good on pickups for awhile...unless Scott decides to get into the single coil game....

Great review.

Love the PSykes in my Custom. I actually ordered two, initially I was so pumped I ordered without thinking and forgot to tell him to age it. So that one will probably go into my other custom.

And yeah, for me I see no reason to purchase anywhere else. TN has the goods.

Thanks for the feedback.Good to know that others are hearing the same things I am. I also have a set of the "Sunset Strip" that I am still deciding which guitar they will go into. I might actually put them into one of my guitars that I couldnt fine the right pup, so in went EMGs. I will comment on those when they are in and I've had some time to really use them.

Very cool but I'm curious about the upcoming Gazzarris, Starwood, Troubadour and Rainbow Bar/Grill pickup models.
I would say definitely reach out to Scott and discuss what you are looking for and I'm sure you should be able to get a real good idea of where to go from there. Based off of my experience and others here I dont think Scott will sell you something that wont fit what your looking for. He also may be able to tweak them to your liking as well. Good Luck!

Great timing on this post since I just wired my Psykes into one of my LPCs. Scott has put some sort of sorcery in this thing… the Aldrich in it previously sounded fantastic but the Psykes is topping it. He lightly aged it for me and used gold screws to match the hardware.

87023C98-94AE-44BF-B631-6E8769A20F42.jpeg

I’ve got a Sunset strip on my shelf that I have got to swap into one of my guitars. Reading this thread makes me want to buy a Psykes even though I’m not sure which guitar I’d put it in!

I’ve got a Sunset strip on my shelf that I have got to swap into one of my guitars. Reading this thread makes me want to buy a Psykes even though I’m not sure which guitar I’d put it in!
Take one of your lighter shredder guitars and put the Sunset Strip in

Sunset is killer. Love it in my 70s HSS Squier with the single coils Scott made. Total 80s raunch bridge, gorgeous cleans and blues with the single coils.

Agree with all the kudos for the TN pups. I probably come across as a shill since I'm in a lot of the clips, but I honestly love them. They're as good as anything I've tried, like Wagner, Motor City, Bare Knuckle, etc. A buddy put a Wicked 8 in his Anderson Pro Am, and it took that guitar to another level of greatness. Like a blanket was lifted off the speakers compared to the Tone Zone that was in there. Absolutely kills thru the SLO.

For those digging the Psykes...
Scott made this one off neck pup with some kind of fat alnico magnet and similar winding as the Psykes. I think he was just messing around? But the second I heard it thru the JCM800, I told him I'll take it whenever he pulls it outta his LP.
It's nothing I would spec out or pick from a list of pickups. Judging by the specs, obscene hi output, you'd think it'd be a muddy mess. Quite the contrary.
I put it in the neck of my Explorer.
It kicks like the Psykes in the bridge, but cleans up beautifully, without losing any highs. I can go from fantastic cleans to Santanna leads with guitar volume, on the JCM or crunch channel of the SLO. It's insane.
Was playing it today, and Scott said it reminded him of the Metallica Sanitarium first solo tone over the clean part. On the crunch channel of the SLO. It defies logic. He should call it the Sanitarium, or Psyke ward.
I'm positive that people will want it if he makes any more of em. He got some clips of it in action today. Maybe he'll post em up. It's the perfect hi gain neck pup for a Gibson style guitar.

Thanks form the kind words guys! It means a lot.

Sunset is killer. Love it in my 70s HSS Squier with the single coils Scott made. Total 80s raunch bridge, gorgeous cleans and blues with the single coils.

Agree with all the kudos for the TN pups. I probably come across as a shill since I'm in a lot of the clips, but I honestly love them. They're as good as anything I've tried, like Wagner, Motor City, Bare Knuckle, etc. A buddy put a Wicked 8 in his Anderson Pro Am, and it took that guitar to another level of greatness. Like a blanket was lifted off the speakers compared to the Tone Zone that was in there. Absolutely kills thru the SLO.

For those digging the Psykes...
Scott made this one off neck pup with some kind of fat alnico magnet and similar winding as the Psykes. I think he was just messing around? But the second I heard it thru the JCM800, I told him I'll take it whenever he pulls it outta his LP.
It's nothing I would spec out or pick from a list of pickups. Judging by the specs, obscene hi output, you'd think it'd be a muddy mess. Quite the contrary.
I put it in the neck of my Explorer.
It kicks like the Psykes in the bridge, but cleans up beautifully, without losing any highs. I can go from fantastic cleans to Santanna leads with guitar volume, on the JCM or crunch channel of the SLO. It's insane.
Was playing it today, and Scott said it reminded him of the Metallica Sanitarium first solo tone over the clean part. On the crunch channel of the SLO. It defies logic. He should call it the Sanitarium, or Psyke ward.
I'm positive that people will want it if he makes any more of em. He got some clips of it in action today. Maybe he'll post em up. It's the perfect hi gain neck pup for a Gibson style guitar.
I think my old IPhone records more accurately, but my new android still recorded respectably. Just rolling over the volume from 10 down to 7 reacts like a PAF spec neck then rolling up is just thick neck solo tones. The A5 is a thick A5 magnet that I got from the UK. I need to get a batch made.

Short video

Back