HAKEN - Prosthetic

Yup, but I'm getting back into fusion.

Took a break for a few years and switched to mainly prog metal and rock, but back to my funk / fusion roots now.

Super tight

You can tell these were kids who got a start with Dream Theater 25 years ago and have progressed from there.
I don't know how these sorts of players have the memory to be able to keep a song straight, let alone an entire show.
So damn much going on all the time both with melody and rhythm.

Love that they're not just some studio creation but a true gigging band. Granted with some backing vocal tracks.

INSANE.

I found Haken recently along with some other bands and I am SO happy this is where music has taken us. The sheer creativity and musical nature is so much more enjoyable to me than all of the rock I grew up with overall. Dad has always been a huge DT fan. I saw them live with him recently. It was fun but I honestly don't listen to them on their own or must of those older bands now. Vola was a great find and so was Haken. Seeking more like this!

I found Haken recently along with some other bands and I am SO happy this is where music has taken us.

At least once a day for the last week I've listened to The Mountain all the way through in one sitting.
The more I listen the more I'm enjoying it from a pure melodic standpoint. I mean there's some Beatles
like compositional brilliance going on with these guys, along with the pure technical prowess.

One minutes it's the heaviest prog metal on the planet and then the next it's beautiful vocal harmonies
that would blow away a church choir member.

At least once a day for the last week I've listened to The Mountain all the way through in one sitting.
The more I listen the more I'm enjoying it from a pure melodic standpoint. I mean there's some Beatles
like compositional brilliance going on with these guys, along with the pure technical brilliance.

One minutes it's the heaviest prog metal on the planet and then the next it's beautiful vocal harmonies
that would blow away a church choir member.
I will give it a listen. I have a feeling I'm going to be slamming through some of their albums in the near future. Any other bands like this, spit em out!! Spread the joy

I will give it a listen. I have a feeling I'm going to be slamming through some of their albums in the near future. Any other bands like this, spit em out!! Spread the joy

Pay close attention to the first entrance of the mellotron melody - sounds kinda like a Gregorian chant.
Didn't really notice it first couple listens but they keep weaving the same basic note sequence throughout the
album, but with a different approach each time that perfectly fits whatever song it's in.

Brilliant stuff.

@Monkey Man

When ya got a solid 12 minutes to devote with no distractions, check out this track.
I can't stop spinning their 3 albums, 'The Mountain', 'Vector', and 'Virus' and this song
from 'The Mountain' may be the one I'd call definitive.

Easy to get blown away by the chops but the more I listen it's the compositions that are most satisfying.

Back