Mark IV Reissue - Thoughts?

I'd like to see a Mesa full sized long head that has 4 separate channels and includes all the great Mark sounds (including the C+ and JP2C shred mode), two graphic EQs (like JP2C) two master volumes and on board reverb...Would probably sell like crazy even at $3,500.

It wouldn’t sound as good as the original without the old materials they were built with. It’d be as close as a JP2C is to a C+. Just get the real thing.
George M and a handful of others have managed to do it with Marshall’s so I don’t see a reason why it can’t be done with mesas. The problem is everyone wants the exact sound/feel of a C+ without the functionality issues. It’s like guys who want a cranked NMV Marshall sound in their bedroom, it’s never going to happen without compromise.

If it's a reissue you're likely going to get a reissue with detachable power because that is required for some certifications IIRC... you're not going to get a new amp with new features. I would also be really surprised if the IV shows up in a reissue series... first one would probably be a IIC+ and a collector's amp with price tag to match.
I think Gibson will pressure Mesa to release a IIC+ reissue within the next three years. They know there's a ton of money to be made there and Gibson love making $10,000 - $50,000 collector pieces. Just look at what the clown Cesar has done with all the overpriced artist signature models.

George M and a handful of others have managed to do it with Marshall’s so I don’t see a reason why it can’t be done with mesas. The problem is everyone wants the exact sound/feel of a C+ without the functionality issues. It’s like guys who want a cranked NMV Marshall sound in their bedroom, it’s never going to happen without compromise.
One thing. They can’t reproduce the transformers.

Clones get close, but still don’t quite get there. JP2C, Metro, Germino, Ceriatone all make nice products but I’ve played a few of each over the years and while they are killer in their own way, they still don’t match the real thing.

I think Gibson will pressure Mesa to release a IIC+ reissue within the next three years. They know there's a ton of money to be made there and Gibson love making $10,000 - $50,000 collector pieces. Just look at what the clown Cesar has done with all the overpriced artist signature models.

Yeah those fools making money on limited production models that sell out as soon as they're released... it's almost like they're a business or something.

I've had my mark IVa forever, and been playing mark IV's on and off (mostly on) for the last 15 years. I got to really open it up last night for a few hours and really played with the controls a lot. It really does everything if you know how to set it, especially if you have another eq in the loop. its so bad ass sounding.

I've wanted a Mark IV for a while. There's a guy selling a beat up Mark IV for $1500 firm about an hour north of me. It likely needs a cap job, new headshell and is missing a knob, and that's just what I can see from the pictures. Is it worth it? Seems like I'd have to put a several hundred dollars into it to get it into a good condition.

I’m on my second IV and will not let this one slip away. If you need features the JP2C can be dialed in pretty close with some sounds, but you’re not going to get all the push pull pots or power amp wattage options the IV has. I had a first run JP2C and got rid of it because it kinda sucks at lower volumes. It needs to be pushed or it sounds “stuffy”. Almost like the magic can’t escape lol. Maybe give it some time and try the VII for yourself. Lots of judgement being thrown at an amp very few of us have played. I’ll eventually compare it to my IV but at 3,500 plus tax I’ll be waiting a good bit.

I've wanted a Mark IV for a while. There's a guy selling a beat up Mark IV for $1500 firm about an hour north of me. It likely needs a cap job, new headshell and is missing a knob, and that's just what I can see from the pictures. Is it worth it? Seems like I'd have to put a several hundred dollars into it to get it into a good condition.
Aren’t they selling for around $3k still?

Maybe talk him down a little and throw the money at it. They’re awesome amps and have their reputation for a good reason. Petrucci, Lamb of God, Chevelle, Metallica? A bunch more I’m missing. It can be a pain to dial in but once you do it’s a beast.

The "real thing" is limited, 20 years old and overpriced IMHO. Caps and other components will likely need to be replaced, thus making them refurbished, unoriginal, and frankly unreliable.

While I do like the idea of a JP2C, The purest will say it still isn't a IIC+ and they'd be right.

I'm talking true to rights reissue. A modern and respected alternative to the real thing
Get a Mark IV, send it to Mesa for service, and not only will it not be unreliable, it’ll be as good as new, good to go for another 30 years, and still sound better than any reissue would for far less cash.

Back