Modded JCM800 1959 non-Jose master clip

RedPlated

This amp started as a 90’s JCM800 non master volume model. The owner is a RT member and wanted the ability to tame the massive volume of a 1959 and add some gain and flexibility without the need for pedals.

These amps are PCB mounted pots and different PCB than earlier amps. I had to convert some of the pots to flying leads to make it work. I then converted the circuit to a cascaded 800 MV setup. On top of this, I added a gain structure switch and a signal enhance switch that adds extra gain in either the high mid region or deeper frequencies. These were placed in the two extra input holes.

NFB and depth were added on the rear. As well as a SAT switch and a SAT level control, to blend the diodes in and out of the circuit. As most of you know, this is sort of my signature feature with amps that I build/ mod.

This amp will become a stock 800 essentially with all switches off and depth and SAT turned off. This clip is at pretty much max gain with SAT on, but dialed back, and both options switches on. I did not convert this amp to Jose MV like most that I do.

I also adjusted all the B+ preamp voltages in the amp. They are way off spec in stock form. I had to get creative and add some dropping resistors and increase values to get all the nodes correct. It also needed a power tube socket replaced and had a bad screen resistor, so it was running on 3 tubes when received.

Last edited:
I’m hearin’ Meat Puppets “Backwater” with
that machine.
Was that you playing?
Where is he?
You are a LETHAL guitar player and
can put the steaming silver that begins
to melt on the bottom strings like no other
I’ve ever heard, molten blending of the notes.
A nuance that makes you distinctly above the pack.
I wish you did all your clips,
-you don’t need no dudes.

But it’s this one here…
if you drop the low E to D
and double with everybody on the root for
“that sound” that your amp also oozes.
I bet this man would love your amp in this mix!

I’m hearin’ Meat Puppets “Backwater” with
that machine.
Was that you playing?
Where is he?
You are a LETHAL guitar player and
can put the steaming silver that begins
to melt on the bottom strings like no other
I’ve ever heard, molten blending of the notes.
A nuance that makes you distinctly above the pack.
I wish you did all your clips,
-you don’t need no dudes.
Legendary reply haha. Dig it.

Does the amp need more volume than if it had a Jose Master? I can't remember but I thought the Jose MV tended to sound better at low volumes and not as good at high volumes and the regular MV was the other way around. But that might be a myth. I thought that was why he put both MVs on certain amps.

In any case, sounds killer.

Does the amp need more volume than if it had a Jose Master? I can't remember but I thought the Jose MV tended to sound better at low volumes and not as good at high volumes and the regular MV was the other way around. But that might be a myth. I thought that was why he put both MVs on certain amps.

In any case, sounds killer.

I don't feel like there's much volume difference between a Jose and non-Jose, if both have no diodes. I actually have an 80' JMP that I modded with a Jose MV and no diodes. The volume comes on about the same as a non-Jose amp. I haven't A/B'd them, but if there is a difference it's minimal.

As far as the Arredondos, he did the Jose MV when he did diodes. They were always present at the same time. The Jose MV was to accommodate the diodes, based on the way he laid them out in the circuit. I think the idea that the Jose MV is much better at lower volume comes from the fact diodes were used in combination with them. On an Arredondo, you have non-Jose MV with no diodes, then pull for Jose MV which adds diodes, lowering the volume significantly. I think that's where the volume difference comes from in most people's minds.

I need to get one of these Marshall modded amps in my life. Sounds killer!

The M.O.A.B. on Blake's channel sounds freaking great as well. :rock:

Back