Heavy tonezzzzz and mixezzzz

I need to fuck with the 57/421 more, everyone gets sick tones with that combo but me lol
I never could get the 421 to work either…sold mine and quit using Sennheiser mics on guitar all together. Just don’t like the harsh edge they have. 57’s work for me. The I5 is pretty good too.

You are literally proving my Fucking point, how do you not see that? 8-12 guitars, who cares, whatever. It sounds great. Yes the drums sound like the way they should sound for that record. No one is saying they don’t. But there IS NOTHING NATURAL ABOUT THOSE TONES. How do you not get this? Let me know when you mic up your drums and they sound like that , or plug into your super overrated 2c+ and it sounds just like the black album? It doesn’t does it? Are drum kits mic’d up with no eq even CLOSE to those sounds? Fucking fuck no. Have you ever heard a drum kit mic’d up with nothing on it? THAT is natural. Subtle eq is NATURAL. Massive amounts of compression, samples, layers, insane amounts of eq ( listen to the Fucking toms man) is NOT “ NATURAL”….
I have been fortunate to work with drummers that new how to tune their drums over the years. Doing live sound with them was always a breeze. Rarely had to eq much of anything, just a bit of gating normally. The nights with a badly tuned kit with worn out heads…ugh no fun.

Recording drums definately has its challenges with all the mics, phasing etc…awesome when it all comes together.

As for your clips here, sounds good on my HS5’s.

I never could get the 421 to work either…sold mine and quit using Sennheiser mics on guitar all together. Just don’t like the harsh edge they have. 57’s work for me. The I5 is pretty good too.

Yea it doesn’t always work for sure, but I do like where the 421 scoops things and makes a 57 not as boxy at times. When I want alittle more low end or that nice scoopage with a nice spike on the top end, the 57/421 combo is usually what I go for. The older ones sound completely different and are killer as well.

I don’t know much about recording yet, but what about the 57/E906 combo? Zen had a close mic clip of that that I thought sounded really good

Eh, those two are so much in the same vein I don’t see the point. Don’t go down the rabbit hole of thinking more mics is better, because it 100 percent never is “better”. It’ll never be as punchy and in your face with 2 mics vs one 57, just something to keep in mind. It’s physics, two mics are always going to have some form of phase cancellation, thus loosing frequencies ( normally in the low end and low mids), always rememeber that. Your ears will trick you and you’ll think it’s better because it’s louder, but if you level matched it compared to just a single 57, you’ll realize real quick it’s not. Or at the very least its different, and definitely not a whole ton better than what you thought when you heard it loud.

Yea it doesn’t always work for sure, but I do like where the 421 scoops things and makes a 57 not as boxy at times. When I want alittle more low end or that nice scoopage with a nice spike on the top end, the 57/421 combo is usually what I go for. The older ones sound completely different and are killer as well.
The 421 was new when I bought it about ten years ago I think. Tried it for a couple years off and on, never could figure it out.

Im having pretty good luck using this old 80’s 57 on one speaker and another 57 on a second speaker.

My friend left me another 57 to play with, has a modded transformer or something. Seems to mix pretty nice.

Want to pick up a VR1 to play with next I think.

The 421 was new when I bought it about ten years ago I think. Tried it for a couple years off and on, never could figure it out.

Im having pretty good luck using this old 80’s 57 on one speaker and another 57 on a second speaker. My friend left me another 57 to play with, has a modded transformer or something. Seems to mix pretty nice.

Want to pick up a VR1 to play with next I think.

Yea I guess I should mention that as well, all my 57s are Unidyne 57s, much different ( and better sounding to me anyways) than the new ones. But, the new ones have their place too of course, I just prefer the smoothed out 4K area and higher highs in the 8k region that the old ones have. Every time I hear the ones I’m like, this sounds like Van Halen haha.

I actually have two SM57's fro, only a couple of years apart, and both sound pretty different. I'm aware all mics sound slightly different from each other, but these two almost sound like people would describe the difference between modern 57's and original Unidynes. I bought both from the same store, even, so there's now way one is fake and the other isn't. One is smoother, fatter, and quieter. The other is louder, tighter, and more aggresive. Both MIM. I personally prefer the brighter one. The other one sounds almost as if it had the transformer removed.

I also got a Beta 57A at the same time I got the second SM57, and that one sounds like shit. I don't know if that's how they're supposed to sound? I bought it thinking "yeah, it's more expensive, should be better". It's super hot in output, but it has like now lows or highs at all. Is that how they're supposed to be?

Last edited:
I don’t know much about recording yet, but what about the 57/E906 combo? Zen had a close mic clip of that that I thought sounded really good

the e906 is one mic i dont have, theres a crispiness much like my 421 i always hear that is a bit much to me, lots of people use them with success though as well and i should probably grab one

yeah harsh edge is the perfect description. I have an i5 i need to use more, it turned into my bottom snare mic and its been stuck under there for a while. the D2 is my favorite

I actually have two SM57's fro, only a couple of years apart, and both sound pretty different. I'm aware all mics sound slightly different from each other, but these two almost sound like people would describe the difference between modern 57's and original Unidynes. I bought both from the same store, even, so there's now way one is fake and the other isn't. One is smoother, fatter, and quieter. The other is louder, tighter, and more aggresive. Both MIM. I personally prefer the brighter one. The other one sounds almost as if it had the transformer removed.

I also got a Beta 57A at the same time I got the second SM57, and that one sounds like shit. I don't know if that's how they're supposed to sound? I bought it thinking "yeah, it's more expensive, should be better". It's super hot in output, but it has like now lows or highs at all. Is that how they're supposed to be?
In my mic stash are about 7 57’s…one is old from the 80’s I bought off a friend. He had a bunch of them that I went thru and picked this one as the best one for me. The others I bought new at various times in the early 2000’s. There is one that sounds like crap, the others sound pretty close to each other.

I have a Beta 57 that sounds good…like a flatter response 57, more output and a wider pickup pattern. Used it alot for awhile, now just been using a couple 57’s.

In my mic stash are about 7 57’s…one is old from the 80’s I bought off a friend. He had a bunch of them that I went thru and picked this one as the best one for me. The others I bought new at various times in the early 2000’s. There is one that sounds like crap, the others sound pretty close to each other.

I have a Beta 57 that sounds good…like a flatter response 57, more output and a wider pickup pattern. Used it alot for awhile, now just been using a couple 57’s.
Beta 57 or Beta 57A?

Because my Beta 57A is anything but flatter. If anything, it's even more mid-hyped. And not the good king of cutting mids that SM57's is known for.

Eh, those two are so much in the same vein I don’t see the point. Don’t go down the rabbit hole of thinking more mics is better, because it 100 percent never is “better”. It’ll never be as punchy and in your face with 2 mics vs one 57, just something to keep in mind. It’s physics, two mics are always going to have some form of phase cancellation, thus loosing frequencies ( normally in the low end and low mids), always rememeber that. Your ears will trick you and you’ll think it’s better because it’s louder, but if you level matched it compared to just a single 57, you’ll realize real quick it’s not. Or at the very least its different, and definitely not a whole ton better than what you thought when you heard it loud.
That’s been my finding too so far when going back from trying multiple to starting over with just one 57. I definitely prefer this more punchy, in your face sound, but it’s just lacking still some body or depth imo and zen’s clip had some of that missing piece when he combined some of the E906. Maybe I just gotta place it a little better, not sure yet. Fwiw, I do already have quite a few different mics anyway lol including an E906

I’ve noticed though a lot of listeners seem to prefer these more distant, vague/washed out recorded sounds (more in the direction of being iPhone-like) vs the close mic 57 sound. They seem to often complain that it sounds too harsh, but I’m guessing it’s just because of what they’re used to hearing. That former type of sound doesn’t do it for me anymore. I wanna hear more detail than those distant sounding clips

Here VESmedic, 21 minute mark:

That’s great and all… but I posted the eq curve of the guitar tone. Even the notes say that stuff was notched down, not only in the loop, but clearly was during the mixing cycle on the ssl console. Therefore, no one is “boosting” the stuff you’re saying. There’s a big bump in the cab resonance like everyone said about 160hz, but you just ignore saying it’s a giant spike at 300! No it isn’t, look at the curve man, it doesn’t lie. The 160 dominates it, the area you’re talking about notched down.

If you have that stuff going into it cool, but if it gets cut down and sculpted, you’re not boosting stuff.

It’s just like when people throw an sm57 right on the grill and it has a HUGE hump of low end, every record you hear this on gets hi-passed. Then further sculpted down from there as needed to fit a mix.

But, you wouldn’t know this because you don’t mic anything up, and just talk out of your ass.

That’s great and all… but I posted the eq curve of the guitar tone. Even the notes say that stuff was notched down, not only in the loop, but clearly was during the mixing cycle on the ssl console. Therefore, no one is “boosting” the stuff you’re saying. There’s a big bump in the cab resonance like everyone said about 160hz, but you just ignore saying it’s a giant spike at 300! No it isn’t, look at the curve man, it doesn’t lie. The 160 dominates it, the area you’re talking about notched down.

If you have that stuff going into it cool, but if it gets cut down and sculpted, you’re not boosting stuff.

It’s just like when people throw an sm57 right on the grill and it has a HUGE hump of low end, every record you hear this on gets hi-passed. Then further sculpted down from there as needed to fit a mix.

But, you wouldn’t know this because you don’t mic anything up, and just talk out of your ass.
Dude, it's just a subtle room mic addition to the tone, of course it's not gonna show up on the main tracks. I know they're scooped to hell.

Not my jam music-wise at all, but I fucking love that morin modded marshall.

It has a really organic, natural sounding midrange cut in all the clips you do @VESmedic

I haven't read through all the comments so I don't know if you answered the amp question, I honestly have no idea, but I would guess KSR or Recto

Back