Celestion Creamback M65 fans?

Do you guys think that light magnet speakers like the M65 or similar speakers from Scumback have enough low end or bigness for a 212 cab?
It really depends on the cabinet, your rig, and your target tone but in general I'd say no. I always thought the H75 Creamback had a lot of big bottom end as well as a lot of top end and sounded 'big' in a 2x12.

I actually find the M magnet speakers have more low-end. H magnets tend to have the low end voiced lower than their M magnet equivalents, so they may come off as more hi-fi and tighter, but in sheer amount, M magnets are usually fatter because they have more high lows and low mids. Plus the H's tend to be like A LOT brighter in the highs as well.

At least that has been my experience comparing the Celestion Anniversary and the Greenback RI, and the Creamback M's and H's.

The Celestion Anniversary honestly is just plain unusable for me with high-gain because of that.

Last edited:
I actually find the M magnet speakers have more low-end. H magnets tend to have the low end voiced lower than their M magnet equivalents, so they may come off as more hi-fi and tighter, but in sheer amount, M magnets are usually fatter because they have more high lows and low mids. Plus the H's tend to be like A LOT brighter in the highs as well.

At least that has been my experience comparing the Celestion Anniversary and the Greenback RI, and the Creamback M's and H's.

The Celestion Anniversary honestly is just plain unusable for me with high-gain because of that.
Interesting take...

Celestion says the H75 is thinks in the mids than the M65.

I'm trying M65s now in my 412 and I'm missing some of the punch I had from my Redbacks.

I'm tempted to replace my M65s with Mesa V30s but now you have me wanting to give them more time. :)

I don't find H magnet speakers are always brighter. My Redbacks are darker than my M65s which have more highs to my ears. I find there are too many variables to say one is a certain way.
My M65s seem brighter than a lot of my H speakers. I do like them however. They are warm, but I don't find light magnets have enough punch and thickness for what I like.

My 212 cabs I have to have H magnets, but those with good mids and not too bright.

My Redbacks are my fattest.

Last edited:
Oh, I haven't tried Redbacks, but Redbacks may be a special case because, even though Celestion claims they're voiced to sound like classics, they've got a few specs that the classic Celestions don't have like the darge dustcap, 2" voice coil, and specially voiced cone. Probably 90% of the more vintage-sounding Celestions have either the 1777 cone or the Pulsonic-inspired cone that Creambacks/Heritages have. Who knows what else is going on with the spider, suspension, doping, etc. in the Redbacks.

What I meant is comparing as apples to apples as I can. Creamback M/H/Neo are all the same exact speaker except for the variation in the magnet. So I find it easier to compare what the magnet size is actually doing in them.

Same as the Anniversaries and RI non-Heritage Greenbacks.

Out of the Classic Lead 80 or the K-100, I don't know which is supposed to be the T-75 with the H magnet, honestly. Or if either of those even is, and if they're not all their own different thing.

Last edited:
Hey man!
Check them out. I find the Reds to be incredible. So fat, punchy, thick, rich, balanced, etc. Celestion recommended I pair two of my Redbacks with Creambacks in my Bogner 412 and I'm slowly getting used to it.
My Splawn 412 has Redbacks and Mesa V30s. My 212 cabs all have Redbacks and one CL80, previous K100.
Redbacks are my favorites. I fell in love when I bought my first pair. They blend well too.
I thought about moving the speakers around and doing all Redbacks in my Bogner and Creambacks and V30s in my Splawn or vice versa.
Thanks for the detailed info you provided. Good chat for sure. Good points on classic speakers and small caps, etc.
All that said, I'd take the Redback as my go to desert island speaker. Really works well for me, but we are all different.
I'm still getting used the M65s.
I hear what you man about the fat of M Speakers but I think there are other variables in play. I found a lot of the H magnets speakers I've use fatter than my greenbacks and T-75s. My M65s are faty however. It's been years since I've had my greenbacks though. I used to live my Lynchback/Greenback cab.
Switched it to Lynchbacks and CL80s. Finally V30s/CL80s and now Redbacks and Mesa UK V30s.
I sort of missed the Lynchbacks which is why I got the Creambacks and paired them with the Redbacks.
But now I'm tempted to go one all Redbacks cab and do the one cab the classic V30/Greenback or in this case, Creamback.

Oh, and I see what you mean about comparing Creambacks M/H/Neo.

Of all the Creambacks to me, the Red is the best for my tastes. Love it.

Last edited:
I dont doubt they're fantastic speakers. Out of all the clips I've heard, they always sound solid and I bet would blend well with the more strident-sounding Celestions.

But I don't think they're part of the Creamback family either. Or related to any other Celestion, TBH. They seem like their own thing.

Not even sure if the Alnico Creams are, TBH. I *believe* I've seen they use different cones, but I could be wrong. Heritage GB's, Creamback M, H, and Neos, and EVH's all use the 914 cone. I'm pretty sure Redbacks use something else, and I think I remember seeing Cream Alnicos do as well.

Yes they are a departure for me from a lot of Celestions. Hence why I like them so much. They even blend well with my Mesa V30s. They work well with the M65s as well.

Thanks for the explaination as well, my friend. Appreciate it.

Sounds like you are a Creamback fan. What style of music do you play?

Last edited:
Yes they are a departure for me from a lot of Celestions. Hence why I like them so much. They even blend well with my Mesa V30s. They work well with the M65s as well.

Thanks for the explaination as well, my friend. Appreciate it.

Sounds like you are a Creamback fan. What style of music do you play?
I do like Creamback M's a lot, but I prefer EVH's and especially, non-Heritage Greenback RI's. I just like how raspy and full of character they get when they're pushed a little.

The thing about the RI Greenbacks is they vary like A LOT. I have two in my Marshall cab that are Chinese-made that are super dark. Cool in the room, but they just don't mic up all that well. Two other UK made ones that have a lot of grind and character. Those are brighter, for some reason, and mic up beautifully. I also had a couple Vox-labeled ones that actually look different from the front. The doping and the dust-cap cover is different, more similar to the Heritages. Still Chinese-made with the 1777 cone, tho. I've never had those in my 4x12 before, TBH, so I don't know how they differ sonically. I've only had them in 1x12's. Left one in my Orange PPC112 that I haven't played in ages.

I play Melodic Death Metal. :D

I do ike other speakers as well. I like Mesa Vintage 30's. I mean, that is the sound of Metal nowadays, LOL. But I think Chinese V30's are good as well. I also have a Gold in my Krank 1x12 that is pretty killer too.

Last edited:
I like v30s, Redbacks, m65, H75 but it really depends on the amp, cab, playing style, genre. Loved the m65 with the Splawn I had, hated it with ksr orthos. Love the redbacks but I don't really care for them with my mark iv etc.

The Marshall v30s are delicious. I know there isn't supposed to be a huge difference to the regular v30 but to me they sounded more pleasant to my ears(not as harsh)

I like v30s, Redbacks, m65, H75 but it really depends on the amp, cab, playing style, genre. Loved the m65 with the Splawn I had, hated it with ksr orthos. Love the redbacks but I don't really care for them with my mark iv etc.

The Marshall v30s are delicious. I know there isn't supposed to be a huge difference to the regular v30 but to me they sounded more pleasant to my ears(not as harsh)
I honestly think the Marshall V30's are more closely related to the Mesa ones than to the Chinese. The only difference is that we mostly see Marshall 16 ohms and Mesa 8 ohms, so yeah, the Mesas are bound to be smoother. I bet that if we compare Mesa 16 ohms, they'd be closer than what we all would think.

I honestly think the Marshall V30's are more closely related to the Mesa ones than to the Chinese. The only difference is that we mostly see Marshall 16 ohms and Mesa 8 ohms, so yeah, the Mesas are bound to be smoother. I bet that if we compare Mesa 16 ohms, they'd be closer than what we all would think.
I think so too. I think if we compared ohms and country of origin I bet it's closer as well. I don't know. My KSR 2x12 with V30s doesn't have that harshness that I experienced with the orange 2x12 I had. The Marshall 1936v was a similar experience.

Yup... love 'em. The ONLY reason I don't use them anymore is because I ran into the Alnico Creams (which are much more expensive) and they are out of this world. Until that moment, I thought 65's were the best I had heard. They would pair just fine with the V30.
I was a V30 guy until I tried a Cream 90. You're right, they are out of this world. Best sounding speaker I've found either ceramic or alnico.

I hear what you are saying. My M65s sound very fat with big round lows.

That said, I find my Redbacks have big and tight lows. Plenty of low end and smooth highs. Surprisingly Redbacks and M65s blend well in a 412. Celestion recommended this and it's so far and warm. It is also still plenty tight if EQed correctly.

I have to admit that Redbacks are my favorite. I couldn't probably have a few cabs with Redbacks and be happy.

I am keeping it interesting by mixing speakers.

Splawn 412 - Redbacks/UK V30s
Bogner 412 - Redbacks/Creamback M65s
Bogner 212 - Redbacks
Stone Age 212 - Redback/CL-80
Stage Craft 212 Diagonal - Redback/Mesa V30

I love Redbacks, but I'm tempted to mix it up a little more. The problem I have with H75s is that every time I Play thru one and then play a Redback, the Red is so much better for my taste.
I tried Redback/H75 and two Redbacks was better for me. Yet, I like the Redback/M65 and love the Redback/V30.

Last edited:
Back