Fortin Meshuggah Amp - anybody played one? Alternatives?

Hello everybody. First off all – i am new to this forum and spend several hours yesterday reading the «Fortin made in china» superthread. I dont want to warm this one up, so please lets stay on topic.

I play sludgy / doomy / stoner kind of music with downtuned (c#) guitars and i am looking for a new amp and came across the fortin meshuggah. I really dig the brutality while still retaining a classic plexi touch to the sound.

Does someone here actually own or played the meshuggah amp? How does it clean up with the guitars volume? I dont need Fender Twin cleans, but a crunchy «semiclean» sound for some parts, but mostly a high gain sound that cuts through the mix.

Before the bashing starts again – i know it is overpriced, i know it is just a JCM800 with mods ect, i don`t care if metro builds them… BUT if it delivers the sound i am after and it stops my endless quest for the perfect amp i am fine with it.

So far i have tried these amps in the last few years:

Mesa Dual Rec Rev G: Too sterile, too rammstein sounding

Mesa Roadster: Better High Gain sound, but was broken all the time, too many features i dont need

Marshall Vintage Modern 100W: Not enough gain, flubby low end

Soldano SLO30: Too sterile, not «crunchy» enough, but very nice 80ies style shred sound

Is maybe a Friedman BE100 Deluxe a alternative? I have seen clips, liked the sound but it is also very 80ies metal sounding… any other alternatives? Would not mind to spend less for the same sound 😉

I am by no means a meshuggah fan, i can not name one song except from bleed, so no fanboy here.

…i am from germany, english is not my native tongue… please have mercy 😊

The Fortin Cali would be a better bet it is far more versatile and a superior tone in my opinion and they are a lot cheaper than a Meshuggah

Not sure what it costs to get the Headfirst Cali there. I have a Ceriatone King Kong 100 I built and it can get pretty heavy but also has a plexi type channel 1 which is my clean/little dirty channel. The amp handles my baritone guitar (tuned to Drop A) pretty well.

I think you really need to try boosting amps like the ones you listed before extending your search. Boosting stuff takes it to a whole new level man. Put a peppers dirty tree in front of the amp and get ready to have your mind blown. So guitar to pedal to amp, not in the loop.

That tone you’re after is not just the amp, but it’s boosted.

Meshuggah used Mesa for a while with basically a different variation of this boost in front of it.

Ceriatone Molecular is the way I would go here. Think of the Meshuggah as a modded plexi and the molecular as a modded 800. For doom, sludge, stoner metal I would likely use this with a rat, muff, etc(BTW I'm currently playing bass in a doom/stoner/sludge type thing now on bass). If you told me I needed to switch to guitar the Meshuggah wouldn't even be on my radar. As good as Orange does for this type of music it's been done to death.

Kirk from Buzzoven told me he used a Laney Aor and a sun beta lead in stereo with a metalzone. Surprised the hell out of me but they always sounded amazing live

I will try the Meshuggah next week thursday in a shop, they also have the friedman there, will compare then. But my bet is on the fortin... if it sounds like it does on the YT demos, i will buy it.

Randall Satan.
I had one for 5 years; I really dug it. It not only could produce the types
of tones you're after, but it sat really well in a band mix.
And, it could handle the low end of 8-string guitars.
I ran mine through a Mesa Recto 4x12/360w.

Back