Anyone here have a Henning VFE Standout clone? User question

tonesfoyobones

Hey guy's I just got this awesome pedal in. I'm really digging it. I saw online that the original VFE Standout pedal can accept either 9 or 18v. Is that the same with the Henning Clone?

IMG_3048.jpg

First check the voltage ratings on the electrolytic caps (can shaped ones), it will be on the side. Not all of them will see full supply voltage but I don’t have a schematic to say which do and which don’t. You could go as far as measuring voltage on the positive end of the cap while powered to see what it sees. Whatever it sees when powered at 9 volts, double it and that’s what the cap would see at 18 volts.

The op amps and transistors should be fine, but you can read the part number off the top and check the absolute maximum supply voltage recommended in the datasheet.

The part I don’t really know for sure about is the microcontroller for the bypass (if your version uses that). I don’t really understand microcontrollers, but i know they will usually run on 3 volts or 5 volts. My standout has an LP2950 voltage regulator in it, which according to the data sheet can take up to 30 volts supply voltage and outputs 3 to 5 volts so I assume that is for the microcontroller.

Tldr - open it and read voltage ratings, check dataheets of op amps / transistors for voltage ratings.

I bought one of the last few that he had in stock but know nothing about circuits. However, since it is a clone, could you use the VFE manual to help with the answer?

I run my focus off 9v. It already has a charge pump that bumps the internal volts, and is already a somewhat dry boost compared to anything with clipping in the circuit, like most other overdrives.

i bought one of these based off all the hype and had to make a thread here asking if it was broken cause it literally dosent do shit lol, last time i ever buy anything based of forum hype

i bought one of these based off all the hype and had to make a thread here asking if it was broken cause it literally dosent do shit lol, last time i ever buy anything based of forum hype
Damn man you must of got a bad one. Mine is freaking awesome! It kicked every boost pedal I have off my board. It so good that I tracked down a VFE Dragon and it's pretty damn tasty too. Great pedal to dial in your style.

First check the voltage ratings on the electrolytic caps (can shaped ones), it will be on the side. Not all of them will see full supply voltage but I don’t have a schematic to say which do and which don’t. You could go as far as measuring voltage on the positive end of the cap while powered to see what it sees. Whatever it sees when powered at 9 volts, double it and that’s what the cap would see at 18 volts.

The op amps and transistors should be fine, but you can read the part number off the top and check the absolute maximum supply voltage recommended in the datasheet.

The part I don’t really know for sure about is the microcontroller for the bypass (if your version uses that). I don’t really understand microcontrollers, but i know they will usually run on 3 volts or 5 volts. My standout has an LP2950 voltage regulator in it, which according to the data sheet can take up to 30 volts supply voltage and outputs 3 to 5 volts so I assume that is for the microcontroller.

Tldr - open it and read voltage ratings, check dataheets of op amps / transistors for voltage ratings.
You're speaking Greek to me my friend but appreciate the input.

Damn man you must of got a bad one. Mine is freaking awesome! It kicked every boost pedal I have off my board. It so good that I tracked down a VFE Dragon and it's pretty damn tasty too. Great pedal to dial in your style.

I thought so, but like most things here some guys say it’s the greatest thing ever and then others agreed with me so I’m not sure, I’ll have to dust it off for one more go around and see

I thought so, but like most things here some guys say it’s the greatest thing ever and then others agreed with me so I’m not sure, I’ll have to dust it off for one more go around and see
Yeah it's hard to take some advice on here. I gotta ask what amp, tuning and style they are playing before I jump out there. Too many times I've gotten gear that some dude swore was a life changer and it turned out that he played country! That don't do shit for me playing thrash metal lol. Now I just gotta ask more questions.
I usually like a small push up front of the amp weather it needs it or not. It just feels better when I play. I like the amp to do the heavy lifting and then just a kiss of boost or something. With the VFE Standout and Dragon using the high and low pass filters I can really dial my palm mute in way better. Like I mentioned prior I took my TS9 off my board. It's cool and all but it doesn't address things the way that the VFE pedals do. The Dragon I've only had a few days so I'm still dialing it in. Unlike the Standout which has the mid boost knob the Dragon's is a distortion which I have been running at minimal like a tube screamer having the volume up high. I'm running it thru a EVH 5150III EL34 100 watter so it needs no more gain anywhere. Just needed to be tighter and more controlled and so far both the Standout and Dragon are doing it very nicely.
I can see that the Dragon would be awesome in front of a non master amp.

Last edited:
And the blend knob was all the way up and you felt like it didn't do anything when turning the HPF and LPF in either direction? Oh man that pedal is not subtle at all. Not saying it's the best out there or anything just yeah sounds like yours was not working.

Where I really find they shine is for boosting after active pickups, especially the good ole 81/85,,,,,,,and for boosting between passives and dirt pedals, except not so much for super high-gain pedals. I absolutely love it for boosting an HM-2 that is set reasonable, not all knobs on max lol.

Where I really find they shine is for boosting after active pickups, especially the good ole 81/85,,,,,,,and for boosting between passives and dirt pedals, except not so much for super high-gain pedals. I absolutely love it for boosting an HM-2 that is set reasonable, not all knobs on max lol.
Yes I should add that I am using Duncan Blackouts. No passives here.

And the blend knob was all the way up and you felt like it didn't do anything when turning the HPF and LPF in either direction? Oh man that pedal is not subtle at all. Not saying it's the best out there or anything just yeah sounds like yours was not working.

I don’t know, that’s why I made the other thread I posted which made me even more confused lol, I’m leaning towards the thing just sucks

Yes I should add that I am using Duncan Blackouts. No passives here.
Yeah with actives I always hated what most overdrives do because the extra saturation and extreme filtering just wasn't needed. With the standout/focus you can dial those in exactly where you need them to be, and then you get any extra saturation from jolting the amp a bit with level.

Back