Dan Huff on an EVH tone detail and other ramblings (like how much bass in guitar tone)

That Giant album is so good. Excellent songs, excellent vocals, excellent guitars, killer production.
So here’s my Dan Huff story. Late 89 - maybe early 90, I’m at GIT and Dan is scheduled to give a seminar. He rolls up and can only find parking at the metered street parking in front of the school on McCadden Place. Parking enforcement was unreal - they would tow anyone if their meter expired by one minute. Of everyone in the room, Dan asks ME if I would mind running out and feeding his parking meter every 30 minutes. He hands me a fist full of quarters (everyone kept change to pay the meters in those days) and tells me where he’s parked. Of COURSE he’s driving a brand new black BMW 535i Sport. Those cars were so dam cool back then. We all were ogling the car and Dan told us that Lukather had just bought a BMW 850. Those things were literally brand new and nobody had even seen one yet. I remember that day vividly - 2 guys who were not MTV rock stars rolling in brand new BMWs from PLAYING GUITAR.

That Giant album is so good. Excellent songs, excellent vocals, excellent guitars, killer production.
So here’s my Dan Huff story. Late 89 - maybe early 90, I’m at GIT and Dan is scheduled to give a seminar. He rolls up and can only find parking at the metered street parking in front of the school on McCadden Place. Parking enforcement was unreal - they would tow anyone if their meter expired by one minute. Of everyone in the room, Dan asks ME if I would mind running out and feeding his parking meter every 30 minutes. He hands me a fist full of quarters (everyone kept change to pay the meters in those days) and tells me where he’s parked. Of COURSE he’s driving a brand new black BMW 535i Sport. Those cars were so dam cool back then. We all were ogling the car and Dan told us that Lukather had just bought a BMW 850. Those things were literally brand new and nobody had even seen one yet. I remember that day vividly - 2 guys who were not MTV rock stars rolling in brand new BMWs from PLAYING GUITAR.
We were there about same time. I was there when Iraq rolled into Kuwait … I guess 90 ? I missed that seminar. Was prolly down on Santa Monica beach screwing around as a 21 year old

Reactions: PDC
We were there about same time. I was there when Iraq rolled into Kuwait … I guess 90 ? I missed that seminar. Was prolly down on Santa Monica beach screwing around as a 21 year old
I started in the Spring group - March of 89 to March of 90. Still one of the happiest, most memorable 12 month periods of my life. Ralph’s, Steffano’s Pizza, weekends at the Roxy and the Whisky. And living guitar around the clock!

At this stage of the game in my guitar life, Luke and Dann Huff are the 2 players I look up to the most. Though I'm nowhere near the player those guys are, they are the most influential. Shredders (at least in my book) that always play for the song. I admire that.

Last edited:
That list is unreal.

I totally agree ! First time I heard "Last of The Runaways" I was ruined ! I've tried to follow Huff ever since.

When I want something different & new (to me) I listen to Luke, Dann Huff, Jay Graydon or Michael Landau !

There's other greats out there to be sure..... but these 4 are at the top of my list.

Last edited:
Is that interviewer stoned out of his gourd? Lol

@4:12 lol from Dan Huff.
Bukovac always looks ripped but he says he doesn’t smoke weed. Says it fucks with his confidence and he is a very confident dude. He almost always has either coffee or a beer in his hand. He is well known for rolling into studio sessions fashionably late…beer in hand.

Reactions: PDC
Can you believe Dann Huff produced a Megadeth record? Cryptic Writings, it's my fav Megadeth record from a production standpoint. Full of ear candy and great playing, and Mustaine hinted that Dann might have played a little guitar on it... I believe it.

I started in the Spring group - March of 89 to March of 90. Still one of the happiest, most memorable 12 month periods of my life. Ralph’s, Steffano’s Pizza, weekends at the Roxy and the Whisky. And living guitar around the clock!
Wow,
I remember reading about GIT in Guitar World / Guitar Player imported to a wee town in buttfuck nowhere Scotland......
Glad you got the chance to go, nice one!

I totally agree ! First time I heard "Last of The Runaways" I was ruined ! I've tried to follow Huff ever since.

When I want something different & new (to me) I listen to Luke, Dann Huff, Jay Graydon or Michael Landau !

There's other greats out there to be sure..... but these 4 are at the top of my list.
Then you'll probably like my transcription project on these players. Link to download in the top post at

https://bit.ly/Facebook-LA-Session-Guitarists
or go direct

https://bit.ly/LA-SessionGuitarists-August2022

Back