Mesa Boogie 1X12 for Mark IV

jeff5

I have an older metal grill 4X12 with the 300 watt EVs in the bottom and, while it sounds great, it is just too LOUD. I mean, pain peeling loud. I am probably going to sell that and get a 1X12.

I have a wide body 1X12 for my Mark V 35 with a C90 black shadow already which I like a lot. But I'm wondering what other mesa 1X12s you may recommend. I think the main options are:
  • 1X12 Widebody
  • 1X12 Thiele (compact)
  • Other?
I'm open to other brands too. Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

Jeff

I’d go with a 1x12 wide body. I think you’ll miss having the bass thump a bit of you go traditional. That or Thiele

Mesa 1x12 widebody cabs are awesome!
I have two of them that I will never replace and the fact that they don't make them anymore is another thing.

They are easy to carry around and just the right size!

Last edited:
Cabinets aren't loud. Amps are.

Your "cabinet" is not too loud. The problem is that the amp you're pairing with it has a poor master volume control.

Agreed. But I have played it through my Friedman cab and it is not as head shattering if that makes sense lol. I don't know, maybe I just need an attenuator! :giggle:

Agreed. But I have played it through my Friedman cab and it is not as head shattering if that makes sense lol. I don't know, maybe I just need an attenuator! :giggle:

Could be, or maybe just an extra volume control in the loop of your amp.

If your mind is made up on the 1x12 though, with a Mark V35, I'd recommend a Recto 1x12. NOT a mini-Recto 1x12, meaning the one with the logo in the middle, but a standard Recto 1x12, the one with the Mesa logo in the upper left corner. Those sounds a lot closer to the 4x12 cabs, at least when close mic'd.

Could be, or maybe just an extra volume control in the loop of your amp.

If your mind is made up on the 1x12 though, with a Mark V35, I'd recommend a Recto 1x12. NOT a mini-Recto 1x12, meaning the one with the logo in the middle, but a standard Recto 1x12, the one with the Mesa logo in the upper left corner. Those sounds a lot closer to the 4x12 cabs, at least when close mic'd.

Thanks! I'll have to be on the lookout for a recto 1X12. I'm guessing they are older and not made anymore. All I see right now are the widebody, thiele and mini recto 1X12. I actually had a stack of mini recto 1X12s and did not like them.

I currently have a 1X12 closed back widebody for my Mark V 35 (with a C90) and really like it. That's why I'm wondering if I get another one of those or a thiele for my Mark IV.

I played the Mark IV through the metal grill mesa 4X12 a couple of nights ago, great tone, but SO in your face. Maybe that is it and maybe it is the 300 watt EVs that do it. It feels like someone is standing nose to nose to me screaming at me LOL! No matter what I turn the volume to. When I plug my Mark IV into my Friedman cab (4X12 with V30s and C90s), I don't get that same feeling.

Last edited:
I picked up 2 - Mesa 1x12 wide body closed back cabs w/V30s last week. They aren't making them anymore.

These are a fantastic 1x12 and easily my favourite. I had 2 Bogner cubes and placed side by side with the same amp, the Mesa was the better sounding 1x12. I dislike the C90 speakers so I specifically looked for a retailer that had 2 with V30s and lucked out!

I'm running my Badlander 50 Racktifier through one of them and my Mark VII rack through the other one.
I use both with one head if I need more volume at a gig.

Easy to carry, handle both very amps well and sound great!

Last edited:
I have a metal grille 4x12 MESA cab with the top half blocked off in the rear. All 4 speakers EVM-12L and it sounds fine compared to my EVH 4x12 Stealth cab with the Celestion speakers. Is the top half of your cab open back?

I have a metal grille 4x12 MESA cab with the top half blocked off in the rear. All 4 speakers EVM-12L and it sounds fine compared to my EVH 4x12 Stealth cab with the Celestion speakers. Is the top half of your cab open back?

Yes, the top half is open. 2 C90s on top, and 2 EV 12L 300 watters on the bottom. I wouldn't mind building and enclosure for the top for a little more thump, but it is not a big deal.

The cabinet sounds fantastic. It's the loudness and in your face nature that is killing me lol. Not to mention the thing weighs as much as a small car. 😁

EVM's are very efficient speakers, so they are louder than most speakers.
Yeah, for sure. A 4x12 with EV's is like what... 6dB louder than a cabinet with Celestion EVH's?

*EDIT* Apparently, not. The published spec is 100dB for EVM 12L's.

Yeah, for sure. A 4x12 with EV's is like what... 6dB louder than a cabinet with Celestion EVH's?

*EDIT* Apparently, not. The published spec is 100dB for EVM 12L's.
I thought they were more than that, like at least 103db, guess i'm wrong.

Back