Uli Roth's Influence on YJM

Kapo_Polenton

While we argue about EVH and RR in the other thread, I thought it might be funny to explore Malmsteen's claim that his biggest influences are classical composers vs the guys that he says were good but easy to play and lacked the mobility he had on the fretboard. I'm a huge YJM fan ( his playing, his clothes, and his ego) but let's just take a look at Uli roth here ( timestamped) and tell me this doesn't have a Yngwie Alcatrazz vibe to it. I think he for sure took it further but Uli is unleashing some fury here !

Just saying.....

d79d9c45-3e4c-4d13-aaed-8920f90a1259-2060x1236.jpeg

While we argue about EVH and RR in the other thread, I thought it might be funny to explore Malmsteen's claim that his biggest influences are classical composers vs the guys that he says were good but easy to play and lacked the mobility he had on the fretboard. I'm a huge YJM fan ( his playing, his clothes, and his ego) but let's just take a look at Uli roth here ( timestamped) and tell me this doesn't have a Yngwie Alcatrazz vibe to it. I think he for sure took it further but Uli is unleashing some fury here !

Always cracked me up when Yngwie would downplay his influences so much...but he very much has always wanted for everyone to believe he was just born that way. I love hearing players talk about their influences because it's a great comparison to see what the player does with it, where he takes it.

The case you just made, of course YM was listening to Uli and he took it to the next degree, or better yet several degree's further than what Uli does. To me taking your influences and mashing it up and making it your own is more original than lying about stuff lol.

I have hours and hours of bootleg live Uli from the 70’s-80’s and he is a very, very good player with dexterity to spare.

Yngwie did take it to another lever, but the connection between these two is so obvious. It makes Yngwie sound silly when he tries to deny it.

I have hours and hours of bootleg live Uli from the 70’s-80’s and he is a very, very good player with dexterity to spare.

Yngwie did take it to another lever, but the connection between these two is so obvious. It makes Yngwie sound silly when he tries to deny it.

Definitely.. he gets asked the Blackmore question a lot but nobody ever drops the Uli bomb on him. I mean right down to the yellow/cream strat and maple fretboard. But yes to both your points, he makes it seem like it was divine intervention. The " gift" came to him in a dream after listening to his uncle's Beethoven record.

Listen to Catch Your Train on Virgin Killers and Sails of Charon for plenty of YJM style stuff.
When you really dive into Uli’s catalog, he has quite a depth to his playing that YJM only scratched the surface of. YJM kept it more commercial where Uli was never really interested in that.
Rising Force and the Alcatrazz stuff were pretty awesome.

Not sure YJM was learning Uli solos and if he did it was short-lived.
He got a guitar, learned all the Blackmore stuff and went into the violin and classical stuff. If he sounds like Uli it's because they learned from the same source.

Listen to Catch Your Train on Virgin Killers and Sails of Charon for plenty of YJM style stuff.
When you really dive into Uli’s catalog, he has quite a depth to his playing that YJM only scratched the surface of. YJM kept it more commercial where Uli was never really interested in that.
Rising Force and the Alcatrazz stuff were pretty awesome.
Damn, I was about to mention those songs too .

For some reason it reminds me of Far Beyond the Sun.

Musicians rarely reveal the actual influence in their music. Bands or guitarists that are influnced by Yngwie will say that they are classical music listeners that never heard about Yngwie before.

I believe Yngwie was very aware of everything in the guitar world and picked some from his favouties. It is sad that its been more than 20 years that he became a caricature of himself.

But probably Blackmore had the biggest impact on him, the song Burn by Deep Purple is the format he adopted for his band.

Last edited:
Back