Randy Rhoads 12/06/1956 - 03/19/1982

I agree with what I think you’re saying here. As gifted and talented as Randy was, the two albums with Ozzy were a total band effort. The contributions of Kerslake, Daisley (the MOST detrimental to this group other than Randy), and even Ozzy (contributed more to the crafting of the vocal Melodies than he’s given credit for) cannot be overlooked in the overall composition of the material that was produced. I love Randy’s playing as much as anyone, but the music he created on those two Ozzy albums would not have been possible without those four guys together in that time. For example, go listen to the QR stuff with Randy. There’s some cool stuff, tunewise, here and there, and the playing is magnificent as expected, but most of those tunes fall very, very flat. Had it not been for Daisley helping Randy to write and arrange his material, it would have been immensely harder for Randy’s material to have the lasting legacy that it does.
This 100%. Essentially QR was lame AF. Bubble gum garbage with some cool out of context riffs.

My whole issue with RR is that I just don't believe he was the angelic little guy that everyone makes him out to be. Maybe he was, just hard to believe in cut throat LA in the late 70s early 80s that anyone could be that egoless and nice etc. Maybe he was, I just don't think human nature really works like that.

Find a video of an interview with him. He comes across very kid like.

EVH story is pretty boring. He, Alex, and I forget the tech's name, sat around a large conference table with a few of us engineers and management.
Project was a small bluetooth speaker that looked like a guitar amp - this before anyone else had done one. They ended us passing on it.

He was the most quiet of the three but chimed in when it got to component quality and the affect on tone.
Got to go off on a bit of a tangent with him cause I piped in about the importance of transformers.
He kinda lit up and got that trademark grin and then he and I went back and forth a little.

They were firm upon arrival - no pictures, no handshakes, no fawning. First thing that struck me was how small he was.
He looked pretty fragile too. Who knows how his health was at the time. The other really, really strong vibe was that Alex was
extremely protective of him.

If you didn't know better you would have thought he was his bodyguard when they were touring our facilities.

Last edited:
I agree that Lynch was, in his own way, an immense talent, BUT IDK if he would have developed to where he got without EVH and RR leading the way. He did develop into probably, IMO, the best pure soloist of his generation.

I agree that Lynch was, in his own way, an immense talent, BUT IDK if he would have developed to where he got without EVH and RR leading the way. He did develop into probably, IMO, the best pure soloist of his generation.

Hard to say, his style was already on display in 79'. But yeah, seeing other guy's in your circle is going to have an effect on playing and phrasing. That's art.

The 3 last books that came out about Randy, including the Bob Daisley book and Rudy Sarzo’s book talk about Randy ready to quit over the firing of Bob and Lee and being talked out of it by Bob. There’s also a semi recent video interview with Bob and Lee where they make that claim. It’s certainly possible they were lying, they definitely got fucked over by Ozzy and Sharon. But when you consider the other sources and the fact that it was well known Randy was going to quit the band it certainly seems probable to me. Even Delores and Kelle are on record saying Randy wanted out. I think even Ozzy said it. That Black Sabbath album that Randy hated was agreed to under the condition that it fulfilled his contractual obligations to Ozzy so he could quit.

As for RR just being a nice quiet kid, there’s simply no evidence to suggest otherwise. The only time I’ve ever heard of him even raising his voice was when Kelly G pointed a gun at him.

The 3 last books that came out about Randy, including the Bob Daisley book and Rudy Sarzo’s book talk about Randy ready to quit over the firing of Bob and Lee and being talked out of it by Bob. There’s also a semi recent video interview with Bob and Lee where they make that claim. It’s certainly possible they were lying, they definitely got fucked over by Ozzy and Sharon. But when you consider the other sources and the fact that it was well known Randy was going to quit the band it certainly seems probable to me. Even Delores and Kelle are on record saying Randy wanted out. I think even Ozzy said it. That Black Sabbath album that Randy hated was agreed to under the condition that it fulfilled his contractual obligations to Ozzy so he could quit.

As for RR just being a nice quiet kid, there’s simply no evidence to suggest otherwise. The only time I’ve ever heard of him even raising his voice was when Kelly G pointed a gun at him.

I just listened to a Full in Bloom interview with his bro and sis and they said he was def. not an angel on tour or before hand with QR and that he was a regular kid in his early 20's doing stupid $hit from time to time. He did get more serious after being on tour with Ozzy though. Likely because the travel and drugs/booze/ antics turned him off the excessive lifestyle.

I would have loved to hear what Randy could have done with some of those Sabbath tunes. Symptom of the Universe he would have no doubt ripped it a new asshole just like he did Children of the Grave.

I just listened to a Full in Bloom interview with his bro and sis and they said he was def. not an angel on tour or before hand with QR and that he was a regular kid in his early 20's doing stupid $hit from time to time. He did get more serious after being on tour with Ozzy though. Likely because the travel and drugs/booze/ antics turned him off the excessive lifestyle.

I would have loved to hear what Randy could have done with some of those Sabbath tunes. Symptom of the Universe he would have no doubt ripped it a new asshole just like he did Children of the Grave.
He was not a Sabbath fan and did not want to do that album at all. But I agree. It could have been epic if he got into it.

He was not a Sabbath fan and did not want to do that album at all. But I agree. It could have been epic if he got into it.

Yeah a lot of the Sabbath tunes sort of drag on or have a sluggish tempo which worked for the time but not as high energy as Ozzy's stuff imo. but on the good ones, you can tell which tunes he was ok with playing based on how much he put into the lead. Iron Man for example, zero interest/effort really.

I used to live in Redlands, California, near San Bernardino.
Used to go there on his birthday, December 6th and on March 19th.

Seen him numerous times, with Quiet Riot , 5 times with Ozzy .
Last time that I seen him live, was at the Selland Arena in Fresno, California, on January 3rd, 1982 .

They had five cameras at the Fresno concert, everyone seen them filming the whole show.
Ozzy and Sharron are sitting on the film of that show.

Every time I heard him, he would improve technically.
I grew up in Fresno and am soooo bummed to have missed that concert. I was in the 7th grade and ma would not let me go to devil worshipping shows that young, but man did I want to :cool:

I agree with what I think you’re saying here. As gifted and talented as Randy was, the two albums with Ozzy were a total band effort. The contributions of Kerslake, Daisley (the MOST detrimental to this group other than Randy), and even Ozzy (contributed more to the crafting of the vocal Melodies than he’s given credit for) cannot be overlooked in the overall composition of the material that was produced. I love Randy’s playing as much as anyone, but the music he created on those two Ozzy albums would not have been possible without those four guys together in that time. For example, go listen to the QR stuff with Randy. There’s some cool stuff, tunewise, here and there, and the playing is magnificent as expected, but most of those tunes fall very, very flat. Had it not been for Daisley helping Randy to write and arrange his material, it would have been immensely harder for Randy’s material to have the lasting legacy that it does.
I can’t say what Randy could or couldn’t do without those guys. All I’m saying is despite other guys being technically better players than him with also better tone lol, none of them imo could remotely touch him with the best leadwork he composed. He was just much more gifted in that dept whether it was helped/nurtured from others or not. Him & Marty are literally the only players I can think of that wrote fast leadwork that still could actually move me, even give me goosebumps sometimes and told coherent story in their solos from beginning to end with the notes all having meaning. This is a much rarer talent than most realize I think. It’s the total opposite of the type of leads EVH did and the players that were more inspired by his approach. I personally always hated that more noodly style without much substance or cohesiveness to the entire solo holding together musically

Some guys need that nurturing from others to bring out their best work and that’s ok. I think I’m kinda like that too

I can’t say what Randy could or couldn’t do without those guys. All I’m saying is despite other guys being technically better players than him with also better tone lol, none of them imo could remotely touch him with the best leadwork he composed. He was just much more gifted in that dept whether it was helped/nurtured from others or not. Him & Marty are literally the only players I can think of that wrote fast leadwork that still could actually move me, even give me goosebumps sometimes and told coherent story in their solos from beginning to end with the notes all having meaning. This is a much rarer talent than most realize I think. It’s the total opposite of the type of leads EVH did and the players that were more inspired by his approach. I personally always hated that more noodly style without much substance or cohesiveness to the entire solo holding together musically

Some guys need that nurturing from others to bring out their best work and that’s ok. I think I’m kinda like that too
I get what you’re saying. While Daisley did aide greatly in constructing the tunes, Randy wrote/constructed his solos completely on his own. Many of his solos are stories within stories. I consider Mr. Crowley to be the greatest metal solo of all time. I still get goosebumps on that solo to this day. Almost moves me to tears in its sheer beauty.

I get what you’re saying. While Daisley did aide greatly in constructing the tunes, Randy wrote/constructed his solos completely on his own. Many of his solos are stories within stories. I consider Mr. Crowley to be the greatest metal solo of all time. I still get goosebumps on that solo to this day. Almost moves me to tears in its sheer beauty.
Agreed 110%. Same for me. I seriously consider it the best guitar solo of all time for me in anything rock or metal (that first solo I mean). It was just stunning. It actually dethroned stairway to Heaven for me as the best of all time, but that’s still a very close 2nd for me and also timeless. No More Tears’s solo is also up there for me (why couldn’t Zakk stay like that lol). These other players guys mention here also have their own great things going for them, but they imo never came close to the musicality in that solo and to me especially not EVH or Yngwie, but just my opinion I suppose

I think it's pretty crazy to think he wouldn't want to be successful as far as money goes, even EVH didn't like the fame angle (does anyone ?) He could take care of his mom, own a home, have a family, etc... who wouldn't want that ? Why get into rock and roll in the first place ?

EDIT: Don't forget EVH had music theory too, on piano, up to community college level. I don't believe for a second that he didn't apply it to songwriting and guitar playing in general, as he's been known to dumb down himself in interviews about theory.
Honestly, as someone who has a master’s & post master’s in music in Classical guitar I think theory is overrated in how much it actually helps. So much of the most moving musical ideas I don’t feel can truly be explained by theory or logic. Those are the musical ideas that just came from some source of inspiration & spontaneity in the artist (not the formulaic musical ideas). Randy is imo one the guys that had that. I find theory helps more when we’re stuck with what to write next, but that doesn’t really get those magical musical ideas out that are just unexplainable, more just the transitional parts of the pieces that don’t do as much for me anyway

Probably have to give that nod to Blackmore, right? He was the first to play in that vein.

I remember exactly where I was, at my grandparents house in St Paul, when I heard he passed...felt like a gut punch. RIP
This whole thing about who was first with sounding classical or starting tapping really doesn’t matter to me. It’s not a race, but more imo about who actually did it most effectively to serve the music. And for that criteria I don’t think any of these guys were within light years of Randy with his emotional depth his best leads were able to communicate. Honestly Randy coulda chose to have a more jazzy, bluesy, country or whatever flavor he wanted to rather than classical and I bet he would’ve been just as effective because he had that rare compositional talent over others in the genre. Just for playing alone many were better, but his gift is way rarer imo. I think many of these others just tried to be classical for the sake of doing it (almost a showy thing) and it just wasn’t too effective imo. Often it was quite cheesy actually, especially with MAB lol

I like Randy just fine, but to say Ed was interested ? No, Ed was into Clapton and Holdsworth. To say Rhoads played with more fire than Ed ? I don’t agree. These comparisons are silly to a certain point anyway because it’s all opinion. I just don’t agree with the ones posted here, doesn’t make me wrong or right, it’s all just opinion. Neither Ed or Randy are here to ask them so it’s moot anyway. But to say Randy influenced the world of rock guitar as much as EVH ? That one is pure BS. The whole of the 80s and a good chunk of the 90s was OWNED by EVH and his strat style creations, the graphics, gained out Marshalls… I didnt see legions of dudes jamming Rhoads guitars like you did with the whole super strat thing. EVH was like Hendrix before him, his sphere of influence really transcended guitar and impacted pop culture. Rhoads never got close to that.
Great post because it's dead on accurate .

I lived thru that era.
When Randy Rhoads came upon the scene, everyone knew a new Sheriff was in town, when Blizzard Of Oz was released .

When Diary Of A Madman came out, Eddie Van Halen wasn't the talk of the " Town " anymore .

Eddie's technique was replicated to the max, but Randy's compositional style and tone was Zeroxed to death, more so than EVH's .

I lived thru that era.
When Randy Rhoads came upon the scene, everyone knew a new Sheriff was in town, when Blizzard Of Oz was released .

When Diary Of A Madman came out, Eddie Van Halen wasn't the talk of the " Town " anymore .

Eddie's technique was replicated to the max, but Randy's compositional style and tone was Zeroxed to death, more so than EVH's .
Your comment alone proves you definitely DID NOT live through that era because none of what you said is true . Eddie was the undisputed king through the entire 80's .

Your comment alone proves you definitely DID NOT live through that era because none of what you said is true . Eddie was the undisputed king through the entire 80's .
Like I said earlier, it depended on who you ran with. Even then there was a sub culture in
“ Heavy Metal”. VH appealed to women, preps, jocks and to a lesser degree stoners. Stoners gravitated towards heavier music. You’re still right though just based on output. Randy made 2 phenomenal albums then died. Hard to stay on top when you’re dead. Frankly though after the 1984 album VH really weren’t kings anymore. I got to LA in 84 ( I think ) and was there until 87. VH wasn’t really on my radar or anyone else I knew either by then. GnR, Motley Crue, Tesla, bands like that were big with the people I knew.

Back