Recto Lovers - what would you buy now?

saxxamafone

Many versions of the recto now kicking around out there.
Some insanely over priced of course depending on the rarity.

If you were in the market now for a good recto... what would you be buying?

From what I've seen and heard, the multi watts seem to be a decent meeting point of good tone at a reasonable price?
Or do they still fall short to the Gs and Fs etc?

Multiwatt was, and still is my favorite. Problem I had with it though, was too damn loud for home use.

I also dug the Single Rectifier with some JJ KT77's, but the FX loop is garbage.

I'd rule out anything earlier than F I think purely due to the prices of those.

Regarding the triples, main thing I hear is the mids and tightness sits in a slightly different place to duals

I've had plenty so I'll weigh in.
  1. The Rev C is king, buuuuut.....
  2. Rev F triple is next. Note if you're going to get a 2 channel, the triple is tighter than the dual. ...and in reality you boost them all. Tone isn't really different.
  3. I prefer the Dual MW to the Triple MW because the mids sit in a better place and the tightness is the same. MW are voiced like the F. A MW in 50W mode is very player friendly.
  4. Tremoverbs are amazing as well.
  5. Early small logo Gs are also very good. Later "normal " Gs are just normal.
Happy hunting!

I had a 2 channel Dual Recto from ‘94 many years ago. No idea what rev it was, but I thought it sounded very good. Wish I still had it.

Badlander if I was buying new.

For used I would wait for a good price on a Rev G, or a multiwatt if you need a clean channel. Everything else is too expensive.

Tremoverbs were my favorite, but I can't justify $2k for an amp I bought and sold multiple times for $750 within the past 5 years.

Bought a new Tverb in 1995 I think. Loved that amp! Sold in a moment of young stupidity. Kick myself everyday.

Played several other Recto's and they were not for me. I would love to try a C, but the talk above has me leaning toward a Dual MW. Cost and ease of obtaining being the main factors.

Same question, except a bit more specific:

Which would be the Recto that fits these characteristics better? Scooped lower mids, BIG sub lows, and aggressive and bright highs and high-mids?

RevC/D is the only Rectifier I really liked and it's quite different from later revs. So it would be a RevC/RevD, a clone of those or a Framus Cobra V1 which is what a Dual Rectifier would like to be and it's on par with the RevC/D.

Last edited:
Multi Watt or old Tremoverb combo are the best options now that won’t cost a bomb.

I love a Rev F but the prices don’t really make sense when you can just get a MW. Rev G is solid too if the price is good - I’d just say a MW is no worse of an amp and you’ll get more features and newer components.

I don’t really see the point in a Rev C/<500 Rectifier, they sound cool in their own right but it’s more of a party trick to me and not really the rectifier sound I most associate with. Cool for bragging rights/collector quality

If you need versatility go for the MW. If you want pure tone go for an F or G. The MW sounds a little more polished or Hifi, but the frequency spectrum it delivers reminds me of an F.

Back