Residential Voltage -- Amp Content

I swap amps alot less now that I have a variac. My only regret is I waited so long before trying one. The concern is that the unit you purchased is properly calibrated as the knob and markings are not not always accurate. I also disagree with the notion that the tone does not change. It is an audible difference as well as volume difference.

I swap amps alot less now that I have a variac. My only regret is I waited so long before trying one. The concern is that the unit you purchased is properly calibrated as the knob and markings are not not always accurate. I also disagree with the notion that the tone does not change. It is an audible difference as well as volume difference.
I had to test mine also, with a multimeter to make sure. The dial is off by about 4 volts.

So you guys using variacs, what is the best way to use one. Plug it into the wall outlet and plug a power conditoner (monster rackmount in my case) into it, or vice versa?

I don't think i'd go as far as to say it does *nothing*, but if there is any difference it is super fucking subtle in my opinion (at least with the amps I own anyway).

Then again I never rebias my amps to the voltage I set with my variac; maybe that'd make a bigger difference

Probably on amps sensitive to volume like old Marshalls in their sweet spot of volume. Unless i got it wrong he is describing a major difference in tone

Last edited:
I only use the variac with my Marshall; those older PTs are expecting 110v. Rest of my amps sound good straight in to the wall outlet.

Back