Looking for Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup replacement

I've got a Rio-Grande BBQ in the bridge of my Les Paul and it sounds killer, handles all different levels of gain very well.
Yep, I used a Rio BBQ for years but when I tried the Aldrich and then tried the BBQ again, I preferred the Aldrich. Just seemed richer and thicker and definitely hotter. But, personal preference. If my Aldrich had a touch more low push, it would be perfect. It's fine, otherwise it's great. I just EQ the amp and it's good to go.

Yep, I used a Rio BBQ for years but when I tried the Aldrich and then tried the BBQ again, I preferred the Aldrich. Just seemed richer and thicker and definitely hotter. But, personal preference. If my Aldrich had a touch more low push, it would be perfect. It's fine, otherwise it's great. I just EQ the amp and it's good to go.
Oh I use the Aldrich as well, in the Blue Charvel DK24 I recently bought here in the classifieds from gbsMusic. I play a lot of Allman Brothers/Skynrd type stuff and slide in my band with my Les Paul and the BBQ is perfect for that.

I just tried a Duncan JB for the first time in my 27 years of playing, and I have no idea why I haven't tried it earlier? At first I thought it might be a bit bright sounding for me, but that was because of the new strings, once the new strings wore in... perfect. I can't believe the clarity and definition this pickup has in the top end... I can put the bright switch on without it getting hazy or fizzy like some pickups tend to do, it's just perfectly defined. Has the right amount of lows and a nice upper mid crunch. No wonder this is basically the most popular pickup in the world.

I haven't tried it in my Les Paul yet, but I have the Aldrich in my '87 Kramer. It KILLS. My friend said he couldn't stop playing my guitar after he installed it.

I just tried a Duncan JB for the first time in my 27 years of playing, and I have no idea why I haven't tried it earlier? At first I thought it might be a bit bright sounding for me, but that was because of the new strings, once the new strings wore in... perfect. I can't believe the clarity and definition this pickup has in the top end... I can put the bright switch on without it getting hazy or fizzy like some pickups tend to do, it's just perfectly defined. Has the right amount of lows and a nice upper mid crunch. No wonder this is basically the most popular pickup in the world.
I have consistently found it to be one of the best choices out there for mahogany bodied, and darker sounding guitars.

Oh I use the Aldrich as well, in the Blue Charvel DK24 I recently bought here in the classifieds from gbsMusic. I play a lot of Allman Brothers/Skynrd type stuff and slide in my band with my Les Paul and the BBQ is perfect for that.
Oh yeah I bet that sounds awesome. Great pickup.

I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to, but I never thought the JB was particularly bright-sounding.

It's got very nice cutting upper mids, but compare it to anything vintage-output, and those are much twangier. Even the Gibson 498 is brighter. I like both, TBH.

It's also not got a particularly deep low-end, but it's chunkier in the low mids than what people sometimes give it credit for.

However, if you're comparing it to actives, yeah. Even as mid-focused as it is for a passive, it's not got the bandpassed EQ of an EMG 81 either.

ToneNerd Pickups (@scottosan) his take on the Dirty Finger pup by Gibson. Check the site out here. I also have his Wicked 8 in my Chubtone. Great pups.
As far as I'm concerned I found my pickup manufacturer with ToneNerd pickups. I love the ones with by Chubtone explorer. The neck pickup is by far my favorite neck pickup. So basically any new builds I'm doing I'm putting those in. Scott also makes great recommendations based on what you are looking for. I'm hoping to get a japanese LP to mod and I will be adding these pickups and hopefully plek it with SS

As far as I'm concerned I found my pickup manufacturer with ToneNerd pickups. I love the ones with by Chubtone explorer. The neck pickup is by far my favorite neck pickup. So basically any new builds I'm doing I'm putting those in. Scott also makes great recommendations based on what you are looking for. I'm hoping to get a japanese LP to mod and I will be adding these pickups and hopefully plek it with SS
You guys are not helping my with the Tonenerd pickup gas....lol

I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to, but I never thought the JB was particularly bright-sounding.

It's got very nice cutting upper mids, but compare it to anything vintage-output, and those are much twangier. Even the Gibson 498 is brighter. I like both, TBH.

It's also not got a particularly deep low-end, but it's chunkier in the low mids than what people sometimes give it credit for.

However, if you're comparing it to actives, yeah. Even as mid-focused as it is for a passive, it's not got the bandpassed EQ of an EMG 81 either.
Well, ya I agree mostly, it was mainly the strings which were brand new that made it seem like a bright pickup at first, but it's moderately bright I guess?? after the strings wore in a bit. I like that nice upper mid crunch it has. It seems pretty fat in the guitar I have it in now (cheap Ibanez LP copy),, certainly fatter than the EMG's I'm so used to. It's got about the fatness of a Duncan Distortion, which I'm also a fan of. So it doesn't have a ton of low end, but I believe that keeps the low end tight.

Well, ya I agree mostly, it was mainly the strings which were brand new that made it seem like a bright pickup at first, but it's moderately bright I guess?? after the strings wore in a bit. I like that nice upper mid crunch it has. It seems pretty fat in the guitar I have it in now (cheap Ibanez LP copy),, certainly fatter than the EMG's I'm so used to. It's got about the fatness of a Duncan Distortion, which I'm also a fan of. So it doesn't have a ton of low end, but I believe that keeps the low end tight.
No, yeah. We all hear things differently. It's just that I've often heard of the JB being referred to as harsh-sounding. Never agreed, TBH. I find PAF-types A LOT brighter and easily get out of hand more.

But yeah, if you're using EMG's to compare, for sure it's going to come out as brighter.

But I still think the JB is one of best the passive pickups for us active pickup guys to try first in the passive world. Especially because as far as passives, it's so mid-focused and relatively familiar-sounding.

Give the Black Winter a try too. You might like it.

The Distortion and JB are rumored to be the same wind, just different magnet (sorta like the Custom, Custom Custom, and Custom 5). Never been confirmed officially. But even if they're not exactly the same, at least, they're similar. The Black Winter falls in that family too. The Invader too, but that one's not my favorite at all.

Last edited:
You guys are not helping my with the Tonenerd pickup gas....lol
Well personally I like buying from people and small businesses that want to sell you something you enjoy. That is why I like doing business with KSR, Monomyth, Headfirst, Deadweald, now Chubtone and tonenerd. It’s nice to have the opportunity to speak with someone and get their feedback. When I was working on the specs for my explorer I made several questionable choices that were spotted and corrected by Curt then talking to Scott I was able to get what I consider the perfect pickup set for the build.

Having said that, I love having the Aldrich in my LP classic.

The Black Winter is one I have never actually tried...But I keep hearing good things.
No, yeah. We all hear things differently. It's just that I've often heard of the JB being referred to as harsh-sounding. Never agreed, TBH. I find PAF-types A LOT brighter and easily get out of hand more.

But yeah, if you're using EMG's to compare, for sure it's going to come out as brighter.

But I still think the JB is one of best the passive pickups for us active pickup guys to try first in the passive world. Especially because as far as passives, it's so mid-focused and relatively familiar-sounding.

Give the Black Winter a try too. You might like it.

The Distortion and JB are rumored to be the same wind, just different magnet (sorta like the Custom, Custom Custom, and Custom 5). Never been confirmed officially. But even if they're not exactly the same, at least, they're similar. The Black Winter falls in that family too. The Invader too, but that one's not my favorite at all.
The Black Winter is one the few Dauncans I have never actually tried...But I keep hearing good things.

The Black Winter is one I have never actually tried...But I keep hearing good things.

The Black Winter is one the few Dauncans I have never actually tried...But I keep hearing good things.
It's great man. People at the Duncan forum often rave about how it's a fantastic pickup not just for metal, and they could sell more if they had labeled it differently.

I wouldn't have tried it if they had labeled it differently, TBH. Have you seen it in person? I looks badass, LOL.

I never use it for anything other than metal, but it's really great. More mid-focused than a Distortion, but also with a very distinct and emphatic attack (the bridge). The neck has kinda bland cleans in full humbucker mode, but it's got very full, liquid, but never muddy lead tones. Plus it splits fantastic (for cleans) because it's not as bright and anemic when split as the lower output winds like the Jazz or the '59.

The bridge one is REALLY hot too. Pretty much X2N levels kinda hot.

Last edited:
It's great man. People at the Duncan forum often rave about how it's a fantastic pickup not just for metal, and they could sell more if they had labeled it differently.

I wouldn't have tried it if they had labeled it differently, TBH. Have you seen it in person? I looks badass, LOL.

I never use it for anything other than metal, but it's really great. More mid-focused than a Distortion, but also with a very distinct and emphatic attack (the bridge). The neck has kinda bland cleans in full humbucker mode, but it's got very full, liquid, but never muddy lead tones. Plus it splits fantastic (for cleans) because it's not as bright and anemic when split as the lower output winds like the Jazz or the '59.

The bridge one is REALLY hot too. Pretty much X2N levels kinda hot.
Thanks for this...how would you compare it to the JB? Similarities, and differences? Appreciated.

Thanks for this...how would you compare it to the JB? Similarities, and differences? Appreciated.
People often compare it to the Distortion, but to me, it's actually more like a JB has been taking steroids big time.

Just like the JB, it's not as sizzly as the Distortion. Same kind of mid focus as the JB, except the BW is much tighter. It's also hotter, and not as stuffy/sluggish in the low mids. It has a cool dirty voicing to the low mids, but what dominates is the very emphatic modern-sounding attack.

So think of it kinda like the best parts of the JB/Distortion/Invader family. It's as hot like the Invader, it's tight like the Distortion, but it's mid-focused and cutting like the JB. But it also has it's own thing going on with the attack and the dirty/raspy voicing in the mids. Pretty cool pickup.

People often compare it to the Distortion, but to me, it's actually more like a JB has been taking steroids big time.

Just like the JB, it's not as sizzly as the Distortion. Same kind of mid focus as the JB, except the BW is much tighter. It's also hotter, and not as stuffy/sluggish in the low mids. It has a cool dirty voicing to the low mids, but what dominates is the very emphatic modern-sounding attack.

So think of it kinda like the best parts of the JB/Distortion/Invader family. It's as hot like the Invader, it's tight like the Distortion, but it's mid-focused and cutting like the JB. But it also has it's own thing going on with the attack and the dirty/raspy voicing in the mids. Pretty cool pickup.
Thanks for these details...Sound like I should give them a shot in the bridge of one of my LPs or Explorers. Appreciated!

Back