Mark VII and JCM800 Comparison

Bxlxaxkxe

Amp ho
Bored this afternoon so here we go. Very different amps but I dial all my stuff in for a particular sound which I can easily do with either of these.

I have to say, I’ve had trouble comparing Mark amps to “normal” amps in the past- not the case with the VII for me. Maybe I’ve just gotten better at dialing in- I don’t know.

No statement to be made here - just having fun.

Bored this afternoon so here we go. Very different amps but I dial all my stuff in for a particular sound which I can easily do with either of these.

I have to say, I’ve had trouble comparing Mark amps to “normal” amps in the past- not the case with the VII for me. Maybe I’ve just gotten better at dialing in- I don’t know.

No statement to be made here - just having fun.

They both sound pretty good and making me think about trying either one out for a possible purchase :)

There is one thing that I had noticed here (and something I have noticed in the past when watching a provided video compared to directly going to YouTube).

I found it interesting that the amps sound much better if you watch and "listen" to the video through here rather than watching/listening to them through YouTube.

I had noticed it right away but around the 0:12 time the sound difference can definitely be appreciated more :cool:

It made me really think hard about getting one of those VII now so I think I'll just keep going to YouTube to watch the video so that I can refrain a little longer from an expensive purchase :doh:

They both sound pretty good and making me think about trying either one out for a possible purchase :)

There is one thing that I had noticed here (and something I have noticed in the past when watching a provided video compared to directly going to YouTube).

I found it interesting that the amps sound much better if you watch and "listen" to the video through here rather than watching/listening to them through YouTube.

I had noticed it right away but around the 0:12 time the sound difference can definitely be appreciated more :cool:

It made me really think hard about getting one of those VII now so I think I'll just keep going to YouTube to watch the video so that I can refrain a little longer from an expensive purchase :doh:
That’s really interesting and I’ve never compared. Will check this out when I get a chance.

Pretty smart method of fending off the gas ⛽

Killer sounds from both amps.

The Mark is incredible. The tones you get out of it have got to be some of the most modern, cutting edge sounds I've heard on your channel. It sounds like it's got the perfect balance of frequencies, but the key to it is that it has a "slice" in the top end that sits in the exact right place for aggressive high gain.

This clip also does a great job of showcasing the JCM 800 "thing" that's very specific to that amp. There's something about the character of the lows and low mids, and the specific way it shapes the distortion in the high mids that makes it very distinctly JCM 800.

For the kind of sounds it seems like you're going for, I think the Mark edges it out for being slightly more modern and aggressive over the slightly more relaxed 800, but really both amps sound great.

The mark sounded great. I love the JCM800 in all its iterations but as someone mentioned earlier, "I "want" to like the Marshall more, but it's a tough call". I found myself liking the Mesa.

Killer sounds from both amps.

The Mark is incredible. The tones you get out of it have got to be some of the most modern, cutting edge sounds I've heard on your channel. It sounds like it's got the perfect balance of frequencies, but the key to it is that it has a "slice" in the top end that sits in the exact right place for aggressive high gain.

This clip also does a great job of showcasing the JCM 800 "thing" that's very specific to that amp. There's something about the character of the lows and low mids, and the specific way it shapes the distortion in the high mids that makes it very distinctly JCM 800.

For the kind of sounds it seems like you're going for, I think the Mark edges it out for being slightly more modern and aggressive over the slightly more relaxed 800, but really both amps sound great.

Well said man. I agree with pretty much everything here.

The 800 is a kind of home base for me, so anything that can remotely stand up to it will get my attention. The VII really is impressive in this regard (not that it’s trying to be an 800 but you know)

How does it sound in the room?
They are a different experience and it really just depends on the style of music and the riff itself. I think both sound amazing in the room and I could live with either, lucky to have both options.

I play with a Tele a lot though and the JCM800/Tele combo "aint it" as the kids say. It's just too much. The VII is a do-it-all (as intended)

Sounds awesome, thanks for sharing. What ist the signal chain, esp. Guitars, PUs, Speaker and Mic?
Still on the ultimate expensive tone quest, but every time I hear a JCM800 (particularly in the mix), I realize it's classic for a reason.
Thanks man. It's my LP with custombuckers, suhr rl, bogner v30 ir

The 800 never goes out of style. For the heavy heavy chugs, prob not the best choice but for anything else in the rock realm- it always shines.

They are a different experience and it really just depends on the style of music and the riff itself. I think both sound amazing in the room and I could live with either, lucky to have both options.

I play with a Tele a lot though and the JCM800/Tele combo "aint it" as the kids say. It's just too much. The VII is a do-it-all (as intended)

Thanks man. It's my LP with custombuckers, suhr rl, bogner v30 ir

The 800 never goes out of style. For the heavy heavy chugs, prob not the best choice but for anything else in the rock realm- it always shines.
Could you please share what exact ir you're using? Sounds great!

Back