BKP Riff Raff vs VHII vs MCP Detroiter

Thanks for the input guys, I hadn’t checked out Tonenerd but they seem cool. Does anyone have experience with the Tonenerd 7d8 with the A5 mag? Seems spec wise to tick the boxes on my checklist.

Last edited:
BKP has very wide model scale and each model is very different and without talking about specific model, it is just useless. I had Mules in LP and they sound much better than 80's Shaws I have in the same guitar. Pickups are very guitar-specific and these general statements don't have any weight. Black Dogs, Riff Raffs...comparable to TTops or other vintage Gibson pickups.
To the topic...VHII is not good fit for LP, it is for hottrodded strat.
Rebel Yells never disapoint in LP for heavier/modern stuff

BKP has very wide model scale and each model is very different and without talking about specific model, it is just useless. I had Mules in LP and they sound much better than 80's Shaws I have in the same guitar. Pickups are very guitar-specific and these general statements don't have any weight. Black Dogs, Riff Raffs...comparable to TTops or other vintage Gibson pickups.
To the topic...VHII is not good fit for LP, it is for hottrodded strat.
Rebel Yells never disapoint in LP for heavier/modern stuff

Tim Shaws in a LP sound very good for metal btw in my experience!

Tim Shaws in a LP sound very good for metal btw in my experience!
Agreed. Both his PAF’s & Dirty Finger’s sound incredible. These boutique pickups made today imo don’t come close to sounding as good in tone, liveliness or rawness

It’s always possible that a certain model BKP or other pickups may “fit” better in a certain guitar, but that inherently more 2D, sterile tone of the pickup will still be there and the good vintage pickups will still have that raw, organic sound even if it’s a poor fit in a guitar. It’s impossible for us to really predict how a pickup will fit in a guitar we haven’t played, so I just comment on inherent quality of tone in the pickup itself and we can from there make educated guess on what will best fit the guitar, but there’s really no substitute for trial & error. With the pickups I enjoy most you’ll at least get a raw, organic, nuanced tone guaranteed

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys, I hadn’t checked out Tonenerd but they seem cool. Does anyone have experience with the Tonenerd 7d8 with the A5 mag? Seems spec wise to tick the boxes on my checklist.
To be honest, I haven't made many of these. PAF specs are really a personal thing. The last one I sent, the feedback I got was that it a little too compressed. I made him another at 8.7k and a little brighter wind and that did the trick. So, basically I don't have a large enough consensus to be recommending it.

I went through a shit ton of pickups in my Les Paul and I don't think it's possible for a pickup to sound bad in a LP.

I went through a shit ton of pickups in my Les Paul and I don't think it's possible for a pickup to sound bad in a LP.
Agreed, if you get a good sounding mahogany guitar (especially vintage ones) it tends to always sound good and more similar to each other even with lots of different pickup swaps. I find the less woody & less warm the guitar sounds, the bigger the differences I hear in pickup swaps. In my all aluminum EGC’s or all carbon fiber Etherial’s the differences are huge or less woody sounding wood guitar I’ve got with rosewood bodies, Padauk, etc.

I didn't like a few in my 02 Classic. 500t sucked. Holy Diver was meh. My fav type was hotter PAF. Burstbucker 3 is where I landed. Allowed me to do anything classic to hard rock.
Wouldn't hesitate to slap a set of Godwoods or one of Scott's pups in there if I got an LP again.

Back