Fryette 2/50/2 vs. PowerStation for Synergy

midgod07

Going to try the Synergy game. I do have one tube amp left but it's just way too mega for my small space. I have heard repeatedly from trusted sources that the 2/50/2 and 2/90/2 are far superior power amps to the PowerStation, though the PS can attenuate. Planning to use this primarily to run my Synergy (I've also heard the 2/50 with Synergy sounds great at low volume), but the PS would have the added bonus of being an attenuator for my tube amp (which I may just sell anyway if I like the Synergy stuff enough).

Sorry. That's a lot. Anyone have some opinions? C'maaaaaaaaan. I know you do.

Man I tried a bunch of power amps with my synergy rig and the 2/50/2 was what I kept. PS50/ PS100 / LXII / 2150…

I just really like the way the 2502 is voiced. The power stations were the worst in terms of voicing because they’re just so flat (which is exactly what you want as an attenuator/reamper). The LXII was a step in the right direction- a diet 2/502 if you will. Pretty incredible that they slammed a stereo tube power amp in a 1U rack space though

Man I tried a bunch of power amps with my synergy rig and the 2/50/2 was what I kept. PS50/ PS100 / LXII / 2150…

I just really like the way the 2502 is voiced. The power stations were the worst in terms of voicing because they’re just so flat (which is exactly what you want as an attenuator/reamper). The LXII was a step in the right direction- a diet 2/502 if you will. Pretty incredible that they slammed a stereo tube power amp in a 1U rack space though
i keep hearing this time and again . . . the 2/50 just sounds better.

I have a PS2 and a SYN-1. Sounds pretty good to me.

However, I now want a 2/50/2 to see what the difference is. The SYN-1 does sound great through a JCM800 power section as well.

i also use a ps2, which i also use to attenuate my other amps.

i have never even tried another dedicated tube poweramp so i cant help there, but i AM happy w my ps2.

I've only ever used the Randall RT2/50 with my synergy stuff, and I love it. I bet the Fryette stuff is way easier to get though.

i also use a ps2, which i also use to attenuate my other amps.

i have never even tried another dedicated tube poweramp so i cant help there, but i AM happy w my ps2.
how does it do at attenuating? i've only ever tried an OxBox and was VERY underwhelmed. same effect as putting a blanket over the cab

The PS is extremely sterile & hi-fi sounding as a guitar power amp. I used to think "hi-fi" was what I wanted from a power amp, since the 2902 is my favorite, but the PS showed me that it can be overdone. I like a very clean power section but the PS seriously lacks mojo.

That’s good info. Most of what I’ve heard is that the 2/50 or 2/90 just have that oomph. I was wanting an attenuator too and I heard the PS is great at that so was hoping to avoid buying both…but it seems my fate has been sealed.

The PS is extremely sterile & hi-fi sounding as a guitar power amp. I used to think "hi-fi" was what I wanted from a power amp, since the 2902 is my favorite, but the PS showed me that it can be overdone. I like a very clean power section but the PS seriously lacks mojo.
It’s designed to be that way. Its purpose is to load down/attenuate a tube amp with minimal coloration.

Before I picked up my PS100 I did try an LXII. Was super close to grabbing it but the attenuation features was the bigger sell for me. It's not like it sounds bad, but yeah it was designed to be neutral af. I really should try my syn 1 thru my mesa 50/50 one day.

I'm not using modules anymore but while the 2/90/ has more headroom and dynamic range the PS-100 is tonally the same. The reactive load (being able to attenuate/silently record other amps or the PS-100 itself), the switchable fx loop and being able to switch between two different Master/Depth/Presence settings were the major selling points for me. The PS-100 is like a swiss army knife for my preamps and tube amps and it already replaced some amps. I'm actually looking for a second PS-100 for stereo applications.

Btw.

Fryette Support said:
Just FYI, the Syn i and Syn 2 were originally beta tested using the PS-2 as a test platform. Several modules including SLO, HBE, VH4, 900, Deliverance and Ultra Lead were subsequently tested using the PS-2, PS-100, LXII, Syn5050 power amps, in addition to various amp power stages like Fryette, Friedman, Diezel and Mesa (Mark2C+) were also vetted.

Last edited:
The SLO-100 was designed to have a neutral as possible power section, to keep the preamp tone as pure as possible. This is coming from Mike, on one of the Tone-talk podcasts.
Plugging a Synergy into a Friedman powersection makes all modules sound friedmanish.
Had a Syn5050, it was too dark and compressed.
Have a 2/50/2s and a PS100, I would take any of them, they both sound great.

The SLO-100 was designed to have a neutral as possible power section, to keep the preamp tone as pure as possible. This is coming from Mike, on one of the Tone-talk podcasts.

All I know that my Syn-1 with SLO module sounds killer running into a PS2. Sounds great going into a JCM800 power section as well.

I have tried that exact setup with both power amps and they both sound good as stated above. I ended using the 5/50/2 for the synergy as I use the PS2 as an attenuator for another amp.

I wouldn't worry so much about the sound but rather what features you prefer: 2/50/2 is stereo but bigger/heavier/noisier due due fan while the PS2 can serve as a load box, attenuator etc but isn't stereo.

Buy them both then decide which one you like better.
Then sell the other one in the classified section.
Gear flipping doesn't work for everyone if someone gets exactly what they want.

Back