Bogner Ecstasy Help

• Thread starter Deleted member 16554
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16554

Interested in picking up a used Bogner Ecstasy…but there seem to be a million versions of this legendary amp.

Can someone point me to a good guide to learn about the revisions over the years and which ones offer what features?

If there is a good thread here or elsewhere, I’d appreciate being pointed in the direction. Mucho Thanko señores and señoritas

I am not a super Ecstasy officianado, but I have owned a couple, so I will try.

You have your 100B and A models: rare, most costly....but have a more raw and open texture compared to 101b's, while still feeling great to play. Played an A model....it was killer!

White Chassis 101b: lots of options, like cabinet switching. Tone wise, I don't think these are as good....although sellers will definitely pass these off as "rare". Only rare because Reinhold improved the model.

101b (pre 2004:) Red channel is an extension of the blue. Mine is a 96 with the OG Mercury Magnetics transformers and it is one of the top 3 amps I have ever owned. Tone, feel, versatility...has it all!

101b (post 2004:) more gain and compression to red channel.

Ecstasy Classic: More like the 100 series. Bit less gain, still feels great to play. A bit brighter than the 101b's IMO. Not as raw and aggressive as the 100's though.

20th anny: Killer amps! Improved cleans, bit less gain on blue channel, more gain and aggressive voicing on the red.

Pandora: The latest Ecstasy iteration. Custom built by Reinhold, so you have to call to get on a build list. Can do pretty well every iteration of Ecstasy as well as some new stuff.

I am not a super Ecstasy officianado, but I have owned a couple, so I will try.

You have your 100B and A models: rare, most costly....but have a more raw and open texture compared to 101b's, while still feeling great to play. Played an A model....it was killer!

White Chassis 101b: lots of options, like cabinet switching. Tone wise, I don't think these are as good....although sellers will definitely pass these off as "rare". Only rare because Reinhold improved the model.

101b (pre 2004:) Red channel is an extension of the blue. Mine is a 96 with the OG Mercury Magnetics transformers and it is one of the top 3 amps I have ever owned. Tone, feel, versatility...has it all!

101b (post 2004:) more gain and compression to red channel.

Ecstasy Classic: More like the 100 series. Bit less gain, still feels great to play. A bit brighter than the 101b's IMO. Not as raw and aggressive as the 100's though.

20th anny: Killer amps! Improved cleans, bit less gain on blue channel, more gain and aggressive voicing on the red.

Pandora: The latest Ecstasy iteration. Custom built by Reinhold, so you have to call to get on a build list. Can do pretty well every iteration of Ecstasy as well as some new stuff.
Dude thank you so much, massively helpful!

What, in your opinion, is best bang for the buck? I’ve seen some in mid$2k to low $3k range but will cross reference this handy guide against the ones I’ve flagged!

No problem!

Well, if it were me, I would look for a mid to early 00's 101b. The red channel being an extension of the red makes it better for lead playing and there is still plenty of gain there for metal. It has a bounce or "chew" as some people describe it, and full low mids.....but that doesn't mean is a sloppy amp; mine can get plenty tight.

As for price...well....I bought mine well pre-covid for 2400 Canadian. I do still see some 101b's for decent deals though. The Pandora, if you decide on the latest, will cost a little over 4k with the class A/AB switch and metal grill.

No problem!

Well, if it were me, I would look for a mid to early 00's 101b. The red channel being an extension of the red makes it better for lead playing and there is still plenty of gain there for metal. It has a bounce or "chew" as some people describe it, and full low mids.....but that doesn't mean is a sloppy amp; mine can get plenty tight.

As for price...well....I bought mine well pre-covid for 2400 Canadian. I do still see some 101b's for decent deals though. The Pandora, if you decide on the latest, will cost a little over 4k with the class A/AB switch and metal grill.

Very cool and what a deal pre-covid!

Not interested in new, gonna ponder on all this info but definitely sticking to $2.5k to $3.0k range! Thanks again for taking the time to help!!

If you have choice, play they before you buy.
I was waiting for a next batch arrives here in Brazil to make a blind purchase.
Fortunately I played a 20th before they arrive and close the deal.
I couldn't handle with the blanket in front the speakers.
So I let it slide.

Hey man, glad it was some help to you. Wish I could give more. Some guys on here can get right in to the actual circuit differences, but I don't have quite that background. But I have owned a couple (still own my 96) and played all of them but a Pandora and a 100b (played the A), so I can at least give feedback on how they feel and sound. Of which I say, I hope you get one; I really do love my Ecstasy!

I can also give you feedback on differences between the different Bogner "big" heads if you ever want that. I still own an Uber Rev Blue, had a Helios 100 and had a 20th Shiva.

Attachments

• IMG_20201215_165006_680.jpg
    IMG_20201215_165006_680.jpg
    855.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20201215_164306_351.jpg
    IMG_20201215_164306_351.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
Hey man, glad it was some help to you. Wish I could give more. Some guys on here can get right in to the actual circuit differences, but I don't have quite that background. But I have owned a couple (still own my 96) and played all of them but a Pandora and a 100b (played the A), so I can at least give feedback on how they feel and sound. Of which I say, I hope you get one; I really do love my Ecstasy!

I can also give you feedback on differences between the different Bogner "big" heads if you ever want that. I still own an Uber Rev Blue, had a Helios 100 and had a 20th Shiva.

Those are gorgeous, would you agree that the Ecstasy is the most versatile of the Bogners? I’m not necessarily looking for it as a metal amp but more of a versatile Marshall-esque studio amp

Those are gorgeous, would you agree that the Ecstasy is the most versatile of the Bogners? I’m not necessarily looking for it as a metal amp but more of a versatile Marshall-esque studio amp
It is the most versatile Bogner and one of the most versatile amps period. The Helios was the most "Marshall" sounding Bogner, more raw and more upper mids....but I found my Ecstasy could do over 80% of that on the Blue channel....just don't be afraid of high settings of the treble and mids to get that tone if you want it.

It is the most versatile Bogner and one of the most versatile amps period. The Helios was the most "Marshall" sounding Bogner, more raw and more upper mids....but I found my Ecstasy could do over 80% of that on the Blue channel....just don't be afraid of high settings of the treble and mids to get that tone if you want it.
Perfect, that’s what I was hoping to hear. Ecstasy sounds like the right one!

Change the Mark V to a Mark VII. It’s an all-around upgrade.

Is it actually? Clips I’ve heard haven’t been that impressive. Have not had a chance to play one yet though. The Mark V I used to own was pretty perfect in every way though.

Any specific demo videos you like?

Also consider thE goldfinger sl, to my ears a better clean than the Ecstasy and the second channel is 3 flavours of Marshall but with a hint of Bogner (nice low mids and a rounded top end). Coupled with the ability to boost, bright and fat switches and a bright/fat eq it’s an incredibly versatile M flavoured design.

+1

You want a pre 2004 101b. Mines a 98 optioned with the class A/AB switch as well. Not all 101b’s come with that option. I paid $2700 for mine to my door.
Can these still be found for mid $2k?

Back